Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/5/2006 5:22:23 PM EDT

I bought this pistol reasonably priced and posted the pics on another board.

One of the replies was from a Man I respect Very Highly, it was:

Looks great. Good luck with that external extractor & short slide Steve.

May I ask the Kimber followers exactly what he meant ??
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:16:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Super short 1911's can have functional issues.  I don't own a super shorty, only a 4", and I've only experience one problematic Para 1911 stubby, so I can't really speak to the reliability.  I do know they tend to have more issue.

Kimber had some stumbles with the external extractors.  I  think they got all the problems fixed, but due to market pressure they are moving back to internal extractors.

For ME, I don't have an issue with internal -vs- external.  I have 2 kimbers with internal, 3 with external.  They all work great.   Lot's of guns, even the vaunted glocks, use external extractors.   Properly designed, they are less prone to problems than the internal, which relies on proper bending and flexing to work correctly.

However, the die hards 1911 guys love the internal, hence the move back to it.

AFA being concerned, like ANY gun - wring it out yourself, and see how she runs.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 1:54:44 PM EDT
[#2]
i have that very gun in blue,black really.mine has the internal extractor.whatever works imho.i love it.it was sidlined for awile .the mag lock/release broke and lost.finally,finally today i stopped by the local GUN SMITH.27  bucks and 5 minuts im back in action.the mag lock are MIM made.not sure if that was the problem at any rate a cheap quike fix.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top