Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2006 4:38:15 PM EDT
I have a 1911 stainless steel target with adjustable sights. The problem is that the front and rear sights are both black and it is hard to get a good line of sight with the gun. I know that Kimber sells the meprolights but I would rather not have to send it back to them to install them. What other sights are you guys using and how do you really like them. I thought about going the cheap route and just trying to use "white out" liquid paper to paint the front sight and see how it was. I know that the liquid paper would not be permanent so no harm would be done to the sight.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:23:36 PM EDT
[#1]
The front sight dovetail cut on your gun is a standard Novak cut.  I don't know how tall it is on an adjustable sight gun, but basically, any local smith can swap out sights for you, or you can try it.  Usually, getting out the old one is the hardest part with a Kimber.

I would like to suggest 3 things.  First, instead of white out, try Testors model paint.  Go to a hobby or toy store that sells models, and get whatever bright color that interests you.

Second, a nice alternative is a fiber optic front.  They are just amazing, as far as glowing nice and bright.

Third, though this is pricey, I like old school gold bead sights.  They work for me in most all lighting conditions, and they are classy to boot.  I've used Novak and SDM, as well as putting my own gold wire in a blank.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 3:46:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the tip on the hobby store. I have found a gunsmith in town that does sight work and I think that I am going to go with the Novak fiber optics. My dad has a ruger mark III hunter with the fiber optics and I was sold on the fiber optics.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top