Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2006 1:20:54 PM EDT
A friend of mine who is a Kimber Master Dealer offered to order for me any Kimber handgun I wanted at his cost. After studying the latest catalog I've narrowed it down to the Pro Carry II or the Pro Carry HD II. I'm kinda partial to the steel frame of the HD but the aluminum frame Pro II won't set me back as much. What do you guy's think?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 1:40:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the Pro Carry SLE, the fore-runner to the HD. Mine's a series I. I carry it daily. A bit heavier than the aluminum but overall it's a small difference.

I bought it because it was all steel. I never liked the aluminum. Well, it was more of a trust issue...

They say aluminum will withstand the use, what do I know.

The only negative I have heard about the aluminum framed Kimbers is that some hollow points tend to eat up the softer aluminum feed ramps. Might just be more internet drivel.

I have an Eclipse Pro Target II as well. Great gun.

editing for spelling is tedious
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:59:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I like the aluminum frame. I shoot it as well as my steel frame 1911s and if you pack it for very long, you will appreciate the weight savings.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:09:37 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I like the aluminum frame. I shoot it as well as my steel frame 1911s and if you pack it for very long, you will appreciate the weight savings.

+1

The real question is this: Are you looking for a carry gun that will see occasional range use, or a range gun that may be carried once in a while?

The alloy frame makes a pretty big difference if you're planning on carrying it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:35:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I have the Pro Carry II with the alloy frame.  It's  very comfortable to carry all day. Have shot the steel frame also. I don't notice much difference in handling with the alloy frame. It's just as easy to shoot as the steel frame IMO. Either way you can't go wrong.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:01:59 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

The real question is this: Are you looking for a carry gun that will see occasional range use, or a range gun that may be carried once in a while?

The alloy frame makes a pretty big difference if you're planning on carrying it.

Those are good questions Stasher1. After breaking it in and finding what ammo it likes it will more than likely be an occasional range/carry gun. Since night sites are not an option for the HD (which I find odd) I'm going to go with the stainless Pro II with N/S.

Thanks for your input fellas.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:24:03 PM EDT
[#6]
your buddy must be the coolest guy ever, i bet you he's good looking too.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:46:40 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
your buddy must be the coolest guy ever, i bet you he's good looking too.  

His daughter seems to think so.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:54:47 AM EDT
[#8]
I have both SS steel and aluminum frame Kimbers and would go with the all stainless steel as it is more durable. End of story.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top