Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2005 4:50:28 PM EDT
Ok guys,
 My brother has a Kimber Pro Carry II with factory black sights.  He purchased a set of Kimber 3rd Gen Meprolights form Cheaper then Dirt in Ft Worth Tx.  CTD told him they would install the sights for free.  Well, they cant install the sights, and they guy who said they would is now  jobless.  Then my brother took the weapon to a gunsmith, and a couple days later got it back, as the gunsmith said he could not get the sights off.   So... who knows of a reputable gunsmith, who has actually done this type of sight replacement before, who also will not charge me a million bucks to get these sights installed?  Thanks, in advance.
-Bruce
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:41:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I sent my Ultra Carry back to Kimber to have night sights installed on it. I have heard horror stories about people who have had gunsmiths tear up the sights because the gunsmith did not have a pusher. This is the question to ask if they have a pusher. Check out 1911forum.com. There is a huge section on Kimbers. Some one there should be able to point you to the right direction especially from Texas.

Good Luck.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:06:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:32:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I did on my own with a brass hammer and a wooden peg.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:10:51 AM EDT
[#4]
I changed a set with a hammer and pin punches and when I put the new sites in I did a little fitting with a small file but it was not an easy task and the sites that came out were ruined needless to say I was very nervous during the whole process.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:06:27 PM EDT
[#5]
The gunsmith did have a sight pusher.  Stiil, could not get the factory sites removed without damaging the surface of the rear.  Guess this will have to go back to Kimber.  What a hassle.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:36:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Kimber non-adjustable sights usually have to be removed with a "special" press. They are REALLY tight. Send it back to Kimber or send it to Heinie, both will install rear sights with a quick turnaround time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top