Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2005 10:15:24 AM EDT
I have had  this thing for 2 weeks now and I have put over 550 rounds through it to break it in.

I have watched the forum and listened to the pros and cons with great interest.
I have a CDP Pro as well and must say I did set the bar high for this gun.

On my first outing I took 100 round of ammo.  100% reloads.
On the 5 mag, a lead bullet lodged just forward of the breach and would not let another round fully seat to fire ( yeah... I know I was lucky)... after gently pushing out that bullet, I cleaned, lubed and reassembled and fired all 100 rounds with no failures what so ever.
2 days later i went out again and fired 400 more rounds.  About 40 rounds short of ending the day, a case with a weak area above the rim exploded and shot 5 live rounds out of the gun and sprayed my face with brass and powder.  I inspected the gun, cleaned, lubed and fired the last 40 shots and didnt have a failure of any kind.

I then took it out again a day later and put 50 shots of wolf 230 grain through it.  no failures of any kind.  the ammo is hot and hits hard.

Obviously the problems that I had were user error ( loading ammo at midnight will cause you to make mistakes and miss a powder load), and one error was just a weak case.

The extra weight over my CDP makes it very easy to control
i used the X200 light at night and this thing was just amazing.
I have a CCW permit and this gun is still very hard to see on a person.
230 grain golden Sabers sit in the gun at all times.... along with 8 more back up wilson mags.

fantastic accuracy.
Easier to clean and disassemble than my CDP.
Nice snappy trigger
fast follow up shots.

The new finishes like Kimpro, Armor tough, etc look thick and funny to me but i will say that after
several hundred presentations.... it doesnt show any wear yet.
the grips screws come loose after about 200 shots.
Girps may not look that great but they feel good and your hand stays still on the gun.
I have no plans to change springs, etc on the gun... why change anything if it works great.

About 10 years ago I had a Para P13 and it sucked so bad that i went back to my Glock and was very happy..... it wasnt until the CDP that i gave the 1911 a chance again and it didnt let me down... now the Warrior has solidly made me a 1911 shooter again.

I will be attending the 4 day combat handgun course at Front Site in December and I will put about 1000 rounds through it in that time.   I am sure that before then I will have put another 1000 rounds through it or more to smooth it out.  If anyone has attended Front site,.... I would like to hear about your experience.

Before the Kimber line of pistols I would honestly say the only guns that were 100% were the glocks... I would highly recommend this gun.......It will work even when you make stupid mistakes with ammo like I did :)

Anthony
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 11:53:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the range report. I think the Warrior is a great gun. It shoots straight and I've encountered no FTE's or FTF's at all. I don't like shooting lead through a semi, I stick with FMJ's. IMHO if you stick to reloading FMJ's instead of lead you'll have a great shooting combination. But that's just a suggestion.

RC
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:39:00 PM EDT
[#2]
How much did you guys pay for yours price tag price that is?
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:06:12 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
How much did you guys pay for yours price tag price that is?

More then what you can get one for now . . . Mine was $1070.00. But at the time it was and is worth it to me I think it's a great gun.

RC
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 2:19:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Mine was $1099.00
Shot it again yesterday, 1/2 the shoot was at night with a X200 surefire.... I think I converted a Sig 220 shooter to this gun, he shot the best groups he has ever shot and commented on how much better it felt to fire double taps.
I am closing in on1000 rds through it.

I removed the ejector and cleaned it and the hole it rides in ( very think with oil, powder residue, lead and brass shavings, etc.  Put a drop of oil at the tip and a bit of grease at the end and put it back together.

I am picking up some wilson springs to do the recommended switch out of main spring, recoil spring and firing pin spring at the recommended times.

Anthony

Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:21:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Whats different of the warrior then the TLE-RL2? Anything better or worse that one or the other may have that no one likes as far as say the safeties or extractors?
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:53:48 PM EDT
[#6]
a range report with no pictures  
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 3:04:58 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Whats different of the warrior then the TLE-RL2? Anything better or worse that one or the other may have that no one likes as far as say the safeties or extractors?

The TLE rail has 30lpi checkered front strap, Series 2 firing pin safety, external extractor, full length guide rod.  The Warrior has none of these plus it has the Kimpro finish and a lanyard loop on the bottom off the MSH.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 10:12:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks,that settled it for me I'm going to get a TLE- RL2.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 2:30:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 7:48:29 PM EDT
[#10]
I bought mine about 3 days ago new off the EE. It was new in box and today I bought the X200a. I have shot a friends and love it. Its the first pistol I like as much as the USP. Here are some pics.

Link Posted: 10/10/2005 9:39:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Since I have a CDP PRO and the Warrior I can say that the full length guide rod is a bitch to deal with when cleaning the gun and if you are in a situation where you need to service the gun, the last thing you want to do is look for a paper clip to take apart your gun.
With the Warrior I dont even think you need that bushing wrench to take it apart, just push down with your thumb..twist,...done...
I agree checkered front strap would have been something I would have liked on my warrior.
The marines and others are choosing the internal extractor for a reason so I am happy with that on the warrior.
As for the firing pin safety..... the pistol already has 2.... anything more and you might as well put a trigger lock on it.
I just reloaded 1200 rds and will be putting it through its paces next weekend.
My friends TLE does have smaller grips so it feels smaller, the sights are mepros.
It shot really nice, he put about 300 rds through it at our indoor range, no problems.  It did however shoot about 3 inches to high but the groups were very nice.
Anthony
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 7:34:18 AM EDT
[#12]
I hope you don't mind if I add to your report.  I received my Desert Warrior a couple of weeks ago.  I use only Wilson 47D magazines.  A 500 round break in with ZERO malfunctions.  Lube after 250 rounds.

I used it on my CHL instructor renewal course yesterday.  (I have a Custom CDP also that I have been to several shooting schools with).  The Warrior was great.  The Novak sights are better than the Kimber standard, and I will be putting some on my CDP.

I agree about the added weight being an advantage.  I have not begun to carry it yet, so I cannot comment on comfort.  

It got several ooohhhs and aahhhs from the DPS guys.  The head firearms instructor was particularly interested in the Desert Earth finish.

Link Posted: 11/1/2005 12:02:52 PM EDT
[#13]
That is such a nice looking gun
Anthony
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 12:13:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for reminding me why I use factory ammo.  

Here's mine:

Link Posted: 11/1/2005 12:23:05 PM EDT
[#15]
I will have my warrior tomorrow. How do you like the grips?
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 3:11:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 3:18:55 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I will have my warrior tomorrow. How do you like the grips?

Like them just fine......
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 9:51:02 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm picking up mine tomorrow and I'd like to know...

Does the MSH need to be replaced to get rid of the lanyard loop?
Link Posted: 11/2/2005 10:16:03 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Yes unless you somehow cut it off.  I would just try to sell it on the EE and buy a new one.
Link Posted: 11/7/2005 6:05:42 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Picked mine up today

Before
photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=42767

After
photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=42766
Best part is I got it for $894 signed, sealed and delivered.

Sweeeeeet.

You got it at that price... new?  You're either good at bargaining or you know someone.  

Looks really nice with those grips.  I guess I'm not one for contrast.

Link Posted: 11/7/2005 1:57:18 PM EDT
[#21]
What rounds are you guys using?  I really would advise against Remmington UMC in your warriors, mine doesnt like it much.  Also do any of you know when they switched th the Skeleton trigger on the Desert Warrior?  Mine isnt the solid one that I see in the picture above.

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/10/2005 6:18:47 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes unless you somehow cut it off.  I would just try to sell it on the EE and buy a new one.

From what I have been told there is a pin that holds it in. forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?p=1117123#post1117123
Link Posted: 11/12/2005 8:43:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Interesting thread, thanks, I carry a Pro-CDP, and am looking at purchasing a warrior........

I understand first 500 production models came out with Novak nite sights, now they have Mepros???

Anyone found problems with their warrior??
Link Posted: 11/13/2005 5:27:33 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Interesting thread, thanks, I carry a Pro-CDP, and am looking at purchasing a warrior........

I understand first 500 production models came out with Novak nite sights, now they have Mepros???

Anyone found problems with their warrior??

The only problem I have with mine is its 2 inches to tthe left at 7 yards and it is impossible to drift the rear sight to the right to correct this.  I am going to have to call them on Monday.

Link Posted: 11/13/2005 7:10:32 AM EDT
[#25]
I'm looking into picking one up here in the next couple weeks, and I love the feel.  I already own a Gold Combat Series one and I'm curious if anyone knows how well it shoots compaired to that?  I love the Gold Combat and I can only imagine that the Warrior will shoot just as well.
Link Posted: 11/13/2005 6:11:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 11/18/2005 10:43:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Got to shoot mine today for the first time and lets just say i didnt have the luck SGB had  100 rounds, 3 FTF on three different mags (1 Kimber that came with it and 2 47D's) and about every 10 shots it would throw one to the left about a 14 inches.  I'm a decent shot and couldnt see how I could pull the shots that far, so I let one of the range officers shoot a 7 round mag.  5 nice and tight, and 2 of them off to the left.  I'm waiting for Dennis from the custom shop to call me back.  The "gunsmith" (i use quotes because he sounds like he knows a lot about 1911's, but I cant vouch for his credentials) thought the barrel link had way too much play in it and called Dennis personally.  Like I said, I'm waiting to speak to Dennis myself, but it looks like she's going back to Yonkers for warrenty work.  All I can hope is that Kimber makes it up to me.  Anyone else ever have to send a pistol back for "warrenty work?"  Are they known for compensating their customers?

EDIT:  Talked to Dennis and the gun is in the mail.  Comp'd me a set of the Tactical Logo grips.  All in all, not bad.  If it shoots as well as SGB's when I get it back, I'll be a happy Kimber customer again.  
Link Posted: 11/18/2005 12:26:45 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

EDIT:  Talked to Dennis and the gun is in the mail.  Comp'd me a set of the Tactical Logo grips.  All in all, not bad.  If it shoots as well as SGB's when I get it back, I'll be a happy Kimber customer again.  

Thats good because they normaly want to give you 2 of their crappy mags.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:29:39 PM EDT
[#29]
The stock mags gave me alot of trouble at Front Site.  When I load in the first round the follower hits the front of the mag and stops... when pushed back it finally feeds in the round.
Anthony
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top