Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/7/2005 3:25:24 AM EDT
Looking for a 1911(had one in the Marine Corps 1966-1972) would like to have something close to what ever that would have been. Don't know much about handguns and would like some direction on this subject. Any concerns on the finish on the Kimber? Is the finish durable? The model of Kimber I may want is "The Desert Warrior" or "Warrior". Or any other model. Some HELP please....
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:38:21 AM EDT
[#1]
If you want something like what you had when you were in the service, a Kimber isn't it. Kimbers are far better than a standard USGI 1911A1. However, if you want one of the best non-custom 1911s around, Kimber is an excellent choice. If the price is acceptable, The Desert Warrior is a fantastic model. It's well made, has a very nice finish that is quite durable. In my opinion, you can't go wrong with a Kimber.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:40:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes, the Kimbers are that good. I always had Colts when I started with 1911s in the 70s but I would have killed to have a pistol like a Kimber out of the box back then. They really are a bargain even at todays prices. Back in 1975 a guy would pay about $225 new for a Colt Series 70 government model pistol and then spend 500 dollars at least to bring it up to speed. Compare 7-800 dollars in 1975 to the 1000 I  paid for my Kimber Warrior this year....I mean, in 1975 I could buy a pretty decent brand new car for 5K...
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:24:52 PM EDT
[#3]

USPC40
Team Member
Great Old One

If you want something like what you had when you were in the service, a Kimber isn't it. Kimbers are far better than a standard USGI 1911A1.  

+1  I have a Kimber Warrior and find it to be very nice. I like the look of the Dessert Warrior finish too.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:54:26 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

USPC40
Team Member
Great Old One

If you want something like what you had when you were in the service, a Kimber isn't it. Kimbers are far better than a standard USGI 1911A1.  

+1  I have a Kimber Warrior and find it to be very nice. I like the look of the Dessert Warrior finish too.hr

How do holster your Kimber? With what? Dose the fact that the Dessert Warroir has a light rail make it hard to find a holster that the gun will fit into?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:18:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't know about you guys but my experience with Kimber was nasty. Bought it brand new pay almost a grand for it and after firing the first 50 rounds. It  jammed countless of times. Send it back to get it repair. They did a bullshit job replacing the frame and in the end the jamming is still there. They blamed it on the mag and send me an extra mag. Didn't help...That was my story.

Now, my buddy's story. He just got his brand new tactical only to find the brass flying to his face everytime. He then send it back to Kimber and just got it back few days ago. This time i went and tried it out with him. Guess what....i needed a mask. The damn brass left a mark on my forehead still. Well...he has to send it back to them again now. Now, ya thinking if it doesn't work, just send it back to get it fix...it's free...Yeah, try to do that a few times with Kimber's turn around time, you'll find the new meaning for the word patient.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:27:02 PM EDT
[#6]
5x5 says yes.  

ZERO problems.

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:37:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Bought a Ultra RCP2 when they came out. Paid a fair price for a "custom shop" 1911.

Hammer follows slide down, doesnt lock in cocked position by slide. Will cock by thumbing back. When fired the pistol stove pipes or fail to extract and double feeds.

Sent back to Kimber. Gun now has a functioning hammer but still failed to extract and double feeds. Didnt trust them to fix it a second time.

Took it to a local smith, he tweaked the extracter. Just picked it back up today. Havnt been to the range yet.

You would think that a pistol designed for concealed carry would leave the factory/Custom shop 100% reliable the first time. The SECOND time they sent out the same unreliable pistol is GROSSLY negligent.

Not sure if Ill ever carry this pistol. Will need mucho range time to know for sure.

I should have bought another Les Baer.

Woosaa
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:49:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Kimbers are the best out of the box 1911 on the market right now...plus they are made in your neck of the woods..the warrior series is an excellent gun...the only thing i would change about the warrior are the hand grips...if you really want the quality though you should look at some custom pistols by les baer or sti if your going to throw out the cash for a kimber you might as well save up 200 or 300 more and get a pistol that will outlast all of your other guns...but a kimber is a very good purchase...that will be my next 1911
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:15:46 PM EDT
[#9]
I had a Kimber eclipse it was nice, but if you want a gun to carry and take abuse and always work get a glock.  I never felt completely convinced my kimber would function when I really needed it.  For me the bottom line is the 1911 platform while great, his past for me as a combat gun.  Now I know a lot of people swear by them and this is only my opinion.  The kimber I had was really nice but I did have some jams and failure to feeds and the gun had to "break in", I can get 2 glocks for that amount of money and they will both work out of the box.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:28:40 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I had a Kimber eclipse it was nice, but if you want a gun to carry and take abuse and always work get a glock.  I never felt completely convinced my kimber would function when I really needed it.  For me the bottom line is the 1911 platform while great, his past for me as a combat gun.  Now I know a lot of people swear by them and this is only my opinion.  The kimber I had was really nice but I did have some jams and failure to feeds and the gun had to "break in", I can get 2 glocks for that amount of money and they will both work out of the box.

Four Kimbers here.  Not one jam.

Note the Glock was a gift.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:32:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Didn't you just ask this the other day, Ray?
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 2:45:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Woosaa, i also know another guy with a new RCP2 when it first came out. He had Crimson Trace laser grip right after he bought it (didn't even fire it), thinking it would work for an Ultra Refine Carry Pistol. Well..he put it up for sale after one month for frustration. The damn thing keep jamming.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 2:55:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top