Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/3/2002 1:48:47 PM EDT
As I mentioned on the GFD forum, the magazine release spring screw on my Kimber Pro Carry broke, flinging the spring and screw God only knows where. This is after between 22K and 25K rounds through an aluminum framed weapon, so I guess I can't be that upset, but this was one of the MIM parts that people warned me about.

I guess I should be glad that it happened on the range instead of in a fight for my life, huh?
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 6:23:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like another part to have on hand, MIM or otherwise.  I wonder if I would even know if it was or not a MIM part. Any way to tell? I have seen folks think that was a screw on the mag release and proceed to "unscrew" it with predictable results. That seems like a lot of miles on an aluminum frame...no signs of cracking or elongation from the slide stop hole? Anyway, like you said, "glad it happened at the range"!
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 9:56:19 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm building up a small collection of spare parts based on what I see break on my guns or the guns of others around me.

I don't know how to tell from looking at them what is a MIM part and what's not. I was just told that most of the small parts on Kimbers are MIM.

No sign at all of any frame cracks, and the slide stop hole is still nice and round. I did swap in a set of Wolff springs at about 15K rounds.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 5:26:05 AM EDT
[#3]
I started to build up a parts collection...30 years ago.  Now if I need a part, I usually go buy one anyway because I cant find the one I know I already have! (I think my 1st "part" was an M14 mag that may have "fallen" into my duffel bag back in '67)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top