Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2005 1:30:08 PM EDT
Hey AR15 I have a question for everyone! I just bought a Kimber Custom II that has been customized with the Pac. slide release, amb. safety, grips and trigger. As well as some polishing for looks. The other night I decided to hit up the range and throw some rounds. I was using Winchester factory ammo and on my fourth round my barrel decided to split as well as tossing my spring and breaking the Barrel Bushing and the Recoil Spring Plug. This gun looked to be in GREAT condition when purchased. Has this happened to anyone else and if so has Kimber worked it out with you?! Thanks!
Here's Winchester's letter to me on the whole situation.  

Winchester Letter

Recent Letter after getting my gun back.
home.comcast.net/~e_baychris/yabe/scan3.jpg
Link Posted: 5/5/2005 2:00:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Holy crap, Batman!

Are you OK?

First supicion would be bad ammo. Maybe overcharged load blows up, or weak load leaves the bullet in the barrel then the next load hits the obstruction.

Did the preceeding round sound/feel different?
Link Posted: 5/5/2005 2:15:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/5/2005 3:02:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for your responses! I'm fine although if I wasn't wearing my eye protection I'd be missing an eye. Here's one of the photo. Sorry it's pretty crappy (camera phone) but since I was at a gun shop when this happened they took my info and sent it to Kimber since the barrel has not been touched.

Notice the ammo that was used in the background...
Link Posted: 5/5/2005 3:07:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/5/2005 3:09:50 PM EDT
[#5]
The round prior to the barrel buster went through fine... forgot to respond earlier..
Link Posted: 5/6/2005 7:57:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Hmm.... got some of the ammo left to look at?
Link Posted: 5/6/2005 8:14:54 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Hey AR15 I have a question for everyone! I just bought a Kimber Custom II that has been customized with the Pac. slide release, amb. safety, grips and trigger. As well as some polishing for looks. The other night I decided to hit up the range and throw some rounds. I was using Winchester factory ammo and on my fourth round my barrel decided to split as well as tossing my spring and breaking the Barrel Bushing and the Recoil Spring Plug. This gun looked to be in GREAT condition when purchased. Has this happened to anyone else and if so has Kimber worked it out with you?! Thanks!

Was this the Win White box 100 round value pk from WalMart?
I found these four deeply seated rounds in a box during my IDPA match a few nights ago.  None were ever loaded into the gun and 1 was loaded in a mag, and before inserted the next round I noticed the prior one was WAY too short.  I've contaced Winchester customer service with a WTF!  Luckily I saw them before shooting them in my SA 1911 Loaded, I'm certain it would have blown up.  Only lot number I can find on the box is W A  A1 inside of one of the large flaps on the box.

The two rounds furthest left are normal.

On a good note, I shot the match 3 times and placed:
1st place SSP SS  (w/G17)
2nd place ESP UN  (w/CZ85 Combat)
2nd place CDP SS  (SA 1911 Loaded)
Link Posted: 5/6/2005 8:22:46 AM EDT
[#8]
gotm4 - good catch man!   Geeze, that ammo is AWEFUL
Link Posted: 5/6/2005 8:48:56 AM EDT
[#9]
 That is some terrible ammo!  It looks just as bad as the first four rounds I ever reloaded.  I had my seating die set way too deeply.  If they were never even chambered, then it can't be a setback issue.  That's just poor quality control.  Glad to see nobody was hurt in either incident.  It's stuff like this that makes me glad I reload and check every round with a caliper for proper overall length.  MJD
Link Posted: 5/6/2005 11:14:28 AM EDT
[#10]
whoa! Guaranteed that ammo will NEVER go through ANY of my guns again! I may just have to get into reloading! I swear this whole barrel blowing up on me has got me thinking of what to say to Winchester! I'm sure I'm going to get my Kimber back from the factory and have them say it was the ammo, then I'll send a not so nice message to Winchester. URGH... what a week...
Link Posted: 5/6/2005 3:02:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Get Kimber and Wincheaster involved.

They will work something out between them I'm sure.

Esp if there was not a squib load before it exploded.
Link Posted: 5/8/2005 5:55:23 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Get Kimber and Wincheaster involved.

They will work something out between them I'm sure.

Esp if there was not a squib load before it exploded.

+1

Glad you're o.k. Sucks about your Kimber.
Link Posted: 5/9/2005 10:00:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/9/2005 5:03:34 PM EDT
[#14]
I've seen something like that happen with a M1A.  The bullet jammed in the barrel and the gases had no where to go but threw the mag.  The metal plate blew out the bottom and went into the bench.  It was a load bang and then I heard an "Oh Shit!"
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 9:26:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Well, I went through the box of Winchester FMJ's one by one and I didn't see anything out of the ordinary. I did send Winchester a "quick" email about the issue and will see what Kimber has to say about the issue and if was the ammo or gun. I have full trust in Kimber and would hate to just throw the money away I spent on the pistol.
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 9:36:43 AM EDT
[#16]
I launched a double charge out of my Kimber Classic series I  behind a 230 gr. roundnose.   Hellava Recoil and nice muzzle flash.     No worse for wear,   Many, Many rounds since then been down that pipe.   Love that Gun!
Keep us posted on this.  
Are you  sure on, NO barrel obstruct?
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 9:46:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Here's another shot of my dead Kimber
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 10:06:39 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I launched a double charge out of my Kimber Classic series I  behind a 230 gr. roundnose.   Hellava Recoil and nice muzzle flash.     No worse for wear,   Many, Many rounds since then been down that pipe.   Love that Gun!
Keep us posted on this.  
Are you  sure on, NO barrel obstruct?

I'm nearly possitive there was no obstruct. I shot four rounds. The first three were in my typical 3" grouping then POW!!! everything went to hell!
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 4:22:08 PM EDT
[#19]
I have seen this. I also saw the recoil spring was under 6" long and the split barrel was leaded up pretty good.
My most gracious guess is that someone should have serviced that pistol, at least every couple thousand rounds!
 My less gracious guess is that the 'match' guns Kimber sells have better barrels than the others. Along with all the other parts falures, I am not impressed with these guns.
I have a series I gun with thier stainless match barrel.  I shoot it but would not carry it.  
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 3:58:15 PM EDT
[#20]
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=14&t=18042&page=1   Well it looks as though it's not just a Kimbers fault... Winchester still hasn't made anything right... urgh
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 10:15:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Alright everyone... this is the letter that was passed on to me by the Gun Shop that's helping me out with my situation. I've of course edited the image to keep some of the information protected. I did however leave Winchesters contact info.  
Winchester Letter to me
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:47:20 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Alright everyone... this is the letter that was passed on to me by the Gun Shop that's helping me out with my situation. I've of course edited the image to keep some of the information protected. I did however leave Winchesters contact info.  
Winchester Letter to me

Hmm...........  I'm wondering if this is a CYA.

"We'll be nice and pay for the repair, but it wasn't our fault" = "We don't want to be sued for any other damages"

Well if they agree to pay, you win....so I'd be happy
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:06:41 PM EDT
[#23]

Well if they agree to pay, you win....so I'd be happy

+1
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 2:22:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Tag for outcome.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:12:11 PM EDT
[#25]
he posted on the m1911 forum that he got a surpise call from kimber saying they'd shipped it to his dealer, and then a half hour later got a call from his dealer saying they'd received it. he posted that he was gonna shoot it soon, but I havnt seen a reply as to whether or not he's shot it since.....
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:37:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Gotta wonder about that.   The only time I've seen something similar was a guy who accidently loaded a .40 in the mag it went click, chambered a .45 then BOOM.  The .40 was still in the barrel.     NO IT WASNT ME!

IIRC it was an SA loaded.   The asshat actually got it fixed by SA after blaming our dept range ammo
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top