Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2004 9:38:01 PM EDT
Any connection with my putting a Shock buff in my Custom II (5 inch), and the having more FTF's.  I went to the range Wed. and went through 75 rnds, and had more ftf's than I've ever had.  I went home and took it out, gave it a good cleaning, used flitz to try and polish the throat, chamber, and slide rails. I used g96 to lube it.  I hope this never happens again.  I was just getting comfortable with the level of reliability I was getting out of my weapon.  I'll go again this Sunday and see what happens.  I haven't put many rounds through it, maybe 600 or so.

Any Suggestions?
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 2:44:24 PM EDT
[#1]
The shock-buff is about the same as adding two coils to the recoil spring, and really is not necessary for most uses. My WAG is that if you take it out the gun will run as it did before...or, conversely, you can cut the spring a half-coil at a time and see where that leaves you. (Coils do not necessarily work on mathmatical principles...that is, cutting a half-coil may, or may not, give the same results every time you cut a half-coil...my advice...lose the shock-buff)
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 5:39:12 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
...lose the shock-buff)

+1
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 5:58:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I own(ed) three Kimbers. None of mine will function properly with buffers installed.
I even tried those thin buffs from Brownells, don't recall the brand, and they wouldn't work.

Based on range experiences with other 1911's I will not use them in a CCW pistol anyhow!

You really don't need them, IMHO!   That and $0.99 might get you a cup-o-joe!
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 6:32:48 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Any connection with my putting a Shock buff in my Custom II (5 inch), and the having more FTF's.

Any Suggestions?

Yes.   Take that shit out of there.

Solution looking for a problem.

You'all need to stop trying to spend money on gadgets......

Another look - check your manual - do you see a buffer in the assembly guide?  No.  Call Kimber - what do you think they will say?    "we don't put one in because you don't need it"
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 6:47:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I take it you've had fewer (if any) problems without the shokbuff?

My opinion is that you do not need it.

The gun shop "commandoes" think they know what's best for your guns. So they'll tell you that unless you doctor up your 1911, it's no good otherwise.

Total BS!

If you feel the need to prevent frame battering with a std. spring wieght, buy a Wolf spring 1 grade (lbs.) higher than stock. Don't mess with any other springs.

Recoil springs last about 5000 rounds minimum.

I own and shoot 1911's, and never had any trouble with most of them right out of the box. Colt's included.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 7:25:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 7:46:51 PM EDT
[#7]

I went home and took it out, gave it a good cleaning, used flitz to try and polish the throat, chamber, and slide rails.
Any Suggestions?

I hate to quote myself, but I took the shok buff out.  I thank everyone for the advice, it is much appreciated.

fight4yourrights said "You'all need to stop trying to spend money on gadgets......"
I wasn't looking for gadgets, but thanks for the advice.  I just had to try something out.

icantdance said  "Wolf spring 1 grade" Thanks for the advice.  I'll get one soon.

Thanks to everyone.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 3:31:10 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
...lose the shock-buff)

+1

Make that +3
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 7:03:49 PM EDT
[#9]
I run Shok-Bufs in my 4" Pro Eclipse and they started giving me problems, particularly with hotter handloads.  It was shoving the top cartridge in the magazine nose down which has never happened to any other 1911 I have shot.  My lighter loads (same bullet weight) ran fine, though.  This is my first 4" and I have seen other posts on not running SB's in shorter barrel pistols.

I'm supposed to believe everything I read on the internet, right?  

Me thinks the time I spent finding out myself was worth the effort.  I also have seen the SB's out of my older Springfield pounded to death, even with a heavier Wolfe spring.  Pounding my new Kimber to an early death isn't what I had in mind.  The idea of a Shok-Buf is a sound one, I think, but maybe not very pratical in this instance.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 7:14:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Guys - how many WWII 1911's are still running strong today?

Today's 1911's are made of even better metal   (okay, don't start in about MIM)........

Seriously, how many here are likely to "pound their 1911 to death" anyway?   If I run that much ammo through mine, I'll be happy to replace it.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 6:56:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Take it out....In case you haven't noticed yet, you cannot slingshot a Kimber with a shock buff in it, you have to use the slide stop to drop the slide from locked open.  

Of course some cretens will tell you if you want to slingshot your pistol, buy a Glock.  I like to keep all options open.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top