Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2004 9:25:57 AM EDT
Fellow Kimber owners, I need your help selecting the right one.
My needs are, nice trigger feel
(lowest pull) MOST accurate (very important to me) I have a CCW but I really don’t know if this will be my carry rig, but I’m sure it will end up that way.
If you have one of these models, please opine with the pros and cons.  

Kimber Eclipse Target II™ .45 ACP
Pros, match grade barrel, adjustable Bar/Dot night sights,(I think this is the ONLY model you can get with the adjustable night sights, correct me if I’m wrong)

Kimber Pro CDP II .45 ACP
Pros, Cools looks, 4inch bushingless bull barrel, light weight only 28 ounces, Meprolight Tritium three dot (green) night sights, EXCELLENT CCW gun. Cons, aluminum frame

Kimber Gold Match Stainless II™ .45 ACP
Pros, frame and slide of each Gold Match are mated together early in production, match grade barrel.

Last but not least, This is kind of a wish list gun, as I wanted to stay in the 1k range

Kimber Team Match II™ .45 ACP
Pros, VERY cool USA team gun, match ready to go

Please add a model for consideration. It seem that Kimber is the best bang for the buck,
While Wilson, Ed B, Les make some really nice 1911, their price reflect the quality

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 10:08:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Out of the 3 I would go with the Eclipse.  I like the look of that finish.  The triger on the CDP ant the Ecplise are about if not the same.  The only thing I would change would be getting the standatd 3 dot sights.  My second choice would be the Gold Combat becauser I perfer the 5" model.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 10:10:11 AM EDT
[#2]
For CCW the Pro CDP is the one I use.  Nice balance, great trigger out of the box, tritium night sights.  I like Series I, since you don't have to screw with the Schwartz safety, but you can always get it removed from a Series II by a good gunsmith.

On the Cons list: I do not consider an aluminum frame to be a con.  The weight consideration is considerable (39 oz for a steel milspec 1911 vs 28-30 for Aluminum) - a half pound difference is alot when carrying day to day.  I have yet to hear a convincing argument for not using aluminum for the frame.  The buffer protects the frame, and can be replaced very cheaply as needed.  The slide is SS - that's where steel matters.

BTW - your picture is of a Compact CDP, not a Pro CDP.  I prefer the full size grip of the Pro, as well as the convenience of taking normal, full size 1911 mags.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 10:30:02 AM EDT
[#3]
scrum check your email the one I REALLY want you have
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 11:47:58 AM EDT
[#4]
that second one -the Kimber Pro CDP II 45ACP is Awesome

A guy I met thru ARFCOM has one for sale now.

maybe you could get what you want for a lot less than brand bew pricing. I will see if I can find him for you and e.mail a contact if I do
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 2:49:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 2:51:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 2:59:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 3:04:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:11:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Pick whichever one(s) that have an internal extractor
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:21:02 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
If you are considering it for a carry piece, skip the adjustable sight models entirely...

Exactly. Look at the Kimber Gold Combat.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 4:58:18 PM EDT
[#11]
I like the Eclipse, but look at the Eclipse Pro II. Its a good mix for a target gun, and you could pack it if you wanted to (unlike the eclipse target).
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 6:24:08 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
If you are considering it for a carry piece, skip the adjustable sight models entirely...

Ditto....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top