Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/9/2002 7:15:46 PM EDT
I just bought an older model DE .357.  It appears to be a MK I(may be Mk VII not sure of the exact differences) and wanted to know if there were conversion kits available for other calibers.  I know that it is available for the 7 but how about the I?  Also what else should I look at when I get it?  It was very cheap, (under 5 bills) and I want to know if there is any wear items I need to check.

Thanks for any help/suggestions

Ktiestir
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 3:53:35 AM EDT
[#1]
To the best of my knowledge, it isn't possible.  I was looking at getting one of the older .357 or .41 models & converting it to .50, but after a brief phone conversation w/ a Magnum Research tech/rep I found out the short of it is NO.  The Mark IX can be readily converted to any of the 4 current production calibers, but not the older versions of the weapon.
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 6:30:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Are you talking about the Mk I and Mk XIX (current production)? Or, the Mk I and Mk VII?

My understanding is that the Mk I and VII are "almost" the same.  The Mk VII has an adjustable trigger and also extended slide release and and safety levers.  Last time I checked these items were listed on the Magnum Research web site.  They are pretty pricey there, though.  Every once in a while you can find these parts on the on-line auction sites.

The barrel/bolts/magazines for a Mk I and Mk VII are interchangeable.  Conversion kits for the Mk I should fit on the Mk VII and vice versa (at least they are interchangeable on my Mk I and Mk VII's).

Mk XIX components are NOT compatible with the I/VII unless you get the COMPLETE slide and barrel/bolt assembly for the XIX and put that on your Mk I.  Magnum Research use to carry these, but the price was MORE than you paid for your complete Mk I!!!!

CDNN Investments has Mk VII .357 barrels in 10" and 14" lengths, which should be a drop in fit for you (they were $140 and $160, respectively, I think).

To convert your DE to a .44 Magnum (Mk I/VII), you would need a magazine, bolt, and barrel for that caliber (and maybe springs, too?).  As mentioned above, to convert to a .44 Magnum (Mk XIX), you would need those parts, along with the slide.

To convert to a .41 Magnum (Mk I/VII), you need the magazine, bolt, and barrel for that caliber (and springs, too?).  Some guys will tell you that the .44 bolt is the same as the .41, but they are NOT!!!  There was no .41 Magnum conversion for the Mk XIX.  I have seen the .41 Magnum conversion kits go from $200 to $350!

For you to convert your Mk I to the .50 AE, you would need the slide, barrel, bolt, and magazine.

And, to convert to the .440 Corbon, you would need the slide, barrel, bolt, and magazine.  These barrels have been out of production for a year or two.

The Magnum Research web site also sells replacement spring kits for the DE.  Under 'normal' conditions, I think this is about the only thing you would ever have to replace.

At one time or another, I tried putting the .50 AE barrel on a Mk VII .44 magnum slide/frame.  The .50 AE barrel is physically fatter than the .44, so it won't fit into the slide.  Why not mill the slide?  I thought about that, but later  I looked at a Mk VII .357 bolt and a Mk XIX .357 bolt, and they were different (I think the Mk XIX bolt was fatter).  So, there are internals that are different, too.

Just to confuse you even more.....my .50 AE is REALLY a Mk VII.  The .50 AE Mk VII is the same platform as the Mk XIX.  If I wanted to 'convert' my .50 to a .357 or .44, I have two options: use the Mk XIX barrel/bolt/magazine OR, use the Mk I/VII barrel/bolt/magazine AND the slide from a Mk I/VII.
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 4:05:41 PM EDT
[#3]
^and last but not least in addition to toms reply. The easiest way to tell the difference between the MKVII and the MKXIX is the slide.
What i have learned the MKVII had scope ring grooves only on the .50. however they are on all of the MKXIX, i found this out after making email after email to magnum research.
>:/ then it goes to the size of the dove tail , yaddy yadda..........................
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 6:42:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't all .50AEs Mark XIXs?
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 8:27:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Nope....

My .50 AE is a Mark VII.  I purchased it BEFORE the Mark XIX hit the market.

It is the same thing as a Mark XIX, though. So...it's a Mark VII, but it's the same as a Mark XIX...doesn't that make it a Mark XIX???

The Mark VII .50 AE became the new/"standard" platform for Desert Eagles.

Confusing, huh?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top