Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/24/2006 5:28:11 PM EDT
ok, so i have a mark VII .41  desert eagle. I got it a little bit ago. so heres the story. when i got the gun i tore it down and found the gas plunger was dirty, so i figured she was dirty all around.  I FIELD stripped it quick ran a boar swam, lubed it and went shooting. it failed to cycle everytime.

--next, i took her home after that, FEILD STRIPPED again and cleaned, cleaned, and cleaned. trying to get as mush as i could...only to the same effect. not ejecting the shell, slide not pushing back from lack of pressure.

so now someone told me that i might just have weak rounds and to try some different rounds because .41's can be picky. so i cleaned AGAIN (keep in mind i only shoot about 8 rnds at a time between these cleanings) and went and bought a box of: remington exspress, federal hydo-shock, winchester platnum tip(240grain thought the added pressure would help), and PMC.  ALL OF THEM FAILED TO EVEN OPEN THE SLIDE..
so at this point I tore the whole gun down, took out every chuck besides the trigger assembly. cleaned again, and with the remington still nothing....

so RIGHT NOW the gun is torn down(again) and its been soaking for the last 10hrs and will be till tomarrow in hopps 9 solvent. then which it'll be hosed down good with my shops 130PSI air system. but if this dont work...what the hell do i do?

sorry this was so long.lol
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:52:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I would check to see it the piston is worn out. Also check to make sure that the gas port is clear.

You can see the opening inside the chamber end.

The gun shouldn't require excessive cleaning.

I have a .44, and I do reload my own. I usually make them very hot loads.

I still get FTF occasionally. It's a finicky pistol!
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 11:15:24 AM EDT
[#2]
well, I finished cleaning it today. blew the livin snot ouut of it. and it's as clean as i've ever gotten it......still nothing

I managed to pressurize the barrel and there is very little air comming out of the gas chamber. its gotta be plugged because the amount of air that sounds like its getting though sure as heel aint going to cycle it....so now what?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:33:26 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
well, I finished cleaning it today. blew the livin snot ouut of it. and it's as clean as i've ever gotten it......still nothing

I managed to pressurize the barrel and there is very little air comming out of the gas chamber. its gotta be plugged because the amount of air that sounds like its getting though sure as heel aint going to cycle it....so now what?

Clean it out.....USe a pipe cleaner or anythong that can go into that little hole. Your only other option is to replace the barrel.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 11:06:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Have you ever shot non-jacketed bullets?  That will seriously plug up the gas system.  You can try to clean the gas system.  Maybe soak in solvent and use compressed air to blow out the crap.  If all else fails, you could send it to MRI for service.

Why .41 mag?  Seems like an oddball, but without the power of the .50.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 3:43:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Sounds like you need new recoil springs
Buy them from MRI
www.magnumresearch.com/products.asp
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:20:39 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Sounds like you need new recoil springs
Buy them from MRI
www.magnumresearch.com/products.asp

Duh.  Totally missed that.  Those springs should be replaced about every 1-2000 rounds.  I would get the whole tune-up kit.  It comes with a replacement for almost every spring in the gun, and an extractor pin (good thing too 'cause mine broke).
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:05:42 AM EDT
[#7]
hey guys,
i bought new recoil springs and still no go. had the pistol brought to a gun smith and put it though the ultra-flow. and he still could not get her to work.....called magnum directily and the tech could not figure it out either,,,,so i have to send it back to MR and have they break it down....

and to think i traded a cetme .308 in perfect condish to this POS.
WORST GUN I"VE EVER TRADED
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:00:30 AM EDT
[#8]
"(240grain thought the added pressure would help)"

I gots to know........  

You're not shooting .44 mag rounds through a .41 barrel are you ?  I had to ask.

.44 Remington Magnum = .429 bullet diameter.

.41 Remington Magnum =  .410 bullet diameter.

The manual states that a 210 grain bullet should be used in the .41 DE.  I'd send it back to MRI and have them take a crack at it. Who knows, they might just send you a new weapon.

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:26:37 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
hey guys,
i bought new recoil springs and still no go. had the pistol brought to a gun smith and put it though the ultra-flow. and he still could not get her to work.....called magnum directily and the tech could not figure it out either,,,,so i have to send it back to MR and have they break it down....

and to think i traded a cetme .308 in perfect condish to this POS.
WORST GUN I"VE EVER TRADED

There is definitely something wrong with it...
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 2:04:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Did you buy this gun used?  Could be the previous owner shot lead through it, plugged up the system, and decided to dump it instead of getting it fixed...
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 12:19:45 PM EDT
[#11]
yeah, thats exactly what happend..and SAID PERSON is on this board. told me it looked almost brand new, and he "never fired it". when i got it, the port was 80% plugged and it would not even open up to eject the shell. took it to hte gunsmith. it put it though a machine and not only cleared the port, but also pulled a small chunk of brass out of the port. we pulled the firing pin, and all other parts in the slide, and the firing pin was so caked with crap i had to use grips just to pull it out. it was BY FAR the dirtyest gun i've ever seen...and yes, im shooting .41 mag remingtons though it. i also tryed shooting winchester platnum tipped 240grain(wow are they exspensive!!!)though it thinking the "bigger" bullet would help...but same problem. I ended up taking out the inner recoil springs and left the bigger outter ones...shot 5 rnds like that just to see and on the 2to3rd rnd it actually ejected and re-loaded correctly for the first (and only) time ever. after that it was the same story.......
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top