Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/9/2011 7:06:26 AM EDT
I'm a big fan of the .44 Magnum cartridge and am thinking about a DE.  I know they are large and unpractical for the most part, but so is my 8" DW.  Looking for a range toy/another option when hunting or if hogs may be present.  What is a good deal on one?  I don't really care if it is a Mk VII or XIX, whatever I can get cheaper and without all the bling.  So far it seems hard to find them under 1000 even used.  For you guys out there loading for these are there any issues?  How hard is it on brass?  I was pleasantly suprised to read that it functions best with full power loads so even though it is an auto there shouldn't be any "downloading" required when compared with revolvers, but lead is a no-go (not an issue for me.).
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 7:52:41 AM EDT
[#1]
You are about right on the price tag.  Ever considered a Glock 20 in 10mm?  I've taken to carrying one when working on deer lease in hog country.  Magazine capacity far exceeds Desert Eagle.
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 8:03:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
You are about right on the price tag.  Ever considered a Glock 20 in 10mm?  I've taken to carrying one when working on deer lease in hog country.  Magazine capacity far exceeds Desert Eagle.

Not interested in 10mm, especially a Glock.   It would be a massive downgrade from my Dan Wesson.  Looking to stick with .44 Magnum for that reason and also I'm already well stocked on components, dies, etc.
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 3:44:13 PM EDT
[#3]
There are a few on gunbroker right now that are in the $900 range.  Looking at completed auctions, there have been some that sold at slightly less than $800.  There are deals to be had if you keep your eyes open and are patient.  I've seen them going for closer to $600 from time to time, but those are a bit more rare.  $8-900 isn't unreasonable if you're patient.

With my .357 barrel, my brass gets kind of beat up.  I've posted this picture before and others have said that they don't have the same issues with their brass.  I must just be lucky.  Anyway, these were a couple of dummy rounds that I chambered 10 times each to check for setback (no issues there, btw).  The case mouths were pretty beat up by the time I was done.  Also the ejector makes a funny little circle on the edge of the case head, but it's nothing that's going to hurt it, or degrade performance down the road.  Just enough to let you know it's been shot through a DE.

Link Posted: 1/9/2011 4:46:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
There are a few on gunbroker right now that are in the $900 range.  Looking at completed auctions, there have been some that sold at slightly less than $800.  There are deals to be had if you keep your eyes open and are patient.  I've seen them going for closer to $600 from time to time, but those are a bit more rare.  $8-900 isn't unreasonable if you're patient.

With my .357 barrel, my brass gets kind of beat up.  I've posted this picture before and others have said that they don't have the same issues with their brass.  I must just be lucky.  Anyway, these were a couple of dummy rounds that I chambered 10 times each to check for setback (no issues there, btw).  The case mouths were pretty beat up by the time I was done.  Also the ejector makes a funny little circle on the edge of the case head, but it's nothing that's going to hurt it, or degrade performance down the road.  Just enough to let you know it's been shot through a DE.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/GarrettJ/Misc%20NFA/100_0753.jpg

I've bid on those three that are ending soon but still can't get the high bid.  Looks like they will get at least a 1000 or more by the time they sell.

It looks like the brass is still very reloadable and I understand the round mark from the ejector as it is similar to an AR bolt.  I was worried about dented casemouths and the like.  Good info, thanks.
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 5:50:05 AM EDT
[#5]
It shouldn't be to hard to find a black oxide finish for $800 or so.  Heck, I just bought a polished blue one with nickel controls for $750 off Gunbroker.  

Get a Mark 1 or 7 if you want to shoot a wider variety of loads.  If you plan on shooting only hot loads or would like to change calibers in the future I suggest getting a Mark 19.

Give me a holler if your still having trouble finding a good deal.  I've come across quite a few places to find what i'm looking for.
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 6:42:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It shouldn't be to hard to find a black oxide finish for $800 or so.  Heck, I just bought a polished blue one with nickel controls for $750 off Gunbroker.  

Get a Mark 1 or 7 if you want to shoot a wider variety of loads.  If you plan on shooting only hot loads or would like to change calibers in the future I suggest getting a Mark 19.

Give me a holler if your still having trouble finding a good deal.  I've come across quite a few places to find what i'm looking for.

So far GB seems to be the only place I'm finding them and it looks like they get a bit of a premium there.  I see some have sold at deals on this forum and a few others looking at old posts but nothing current.  Looks like almost all of the GB ones are Mark 7s and are selling for 900-1000 in good to mint condition with the black finish, I was hoping to only have to pony up 800-900.
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 3:11:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, looks like I won one.  A Mark VII in what looks to be near mint condition, we'll see when it arrives.  I'm interested to see what the recoil will be like compared to revolvers with 2 of my N110 loads, 240gr JHP @ 1550 and 300 XTP @ 1350.  Those are 8" numbers though, we'll see what they do in the DE.

Is Magnum Research the only source for mags and grips?  If so that sucks, because DAMN their prices suck.
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 8:14:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Well, looks like I won one.  A Mark VII in what looks to be near mint condition, we'll see when it arrives.  I'm interested to see what the recoil will be like compared to revolvers with 2 of my N110 loads, 240gr JHP @ 1550 and 300 XTP @ 1350.  Those are 8" numbers though, we'll see what they do in the DE.

Is Magnum Research the only source for mags and grips?  If so that sucks, because DAMN their prices suck.

Congrats, please post pics/range report as soon as you can.

Don't know about aftermarket mags.  All of mine are MRI.

I inner-tubed my grip in lieu of getting the $50 Hogue grips.  I run an all-black .50AE and that sucker's got some recoil, to say the least.  Those stock plastic grips do nothing to keep your hands attached to your DE.
Link Posted: 1/11/2011 5:20:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I inner-tubed my grip in lieu of getting the $50 Hogue grips.  I run an all-black .50AE and that sucker's got some recoil, to say the least.  Those stock plastic grips do nothing to keep your hands attached to your DE.

I heard that about the crapiness of the factory grips so I have some hogues on the way.  I found out that CDNN does carry DE mags (MR, not promag shit) for much less than MR and ordered them there.
Link Posted: 1/11/2011 1:26:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Congratulations on the purchase.  Recoil was more tame than I expected when I shot mine for the first time.  Your velocities should be in tune with those from a 5".  Oh yeah, thanks for the mag connect.  I had totally forgotten they carry DE mags and for a heck of a price too.
Link Posted: 1/11/2011 1:37:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Check yahoo and google shopping.  They can be had for around $38 but are usually out of stock.  The inner-tube trick was a good idea.  Hogue makes a rubber slip on with finger grooves for around $10 that with enough raw gorilla power will eventually find their way on.  Definately pick up some Hogues when you can, they're worth it.
Link Posted: 1/11/2011 4:21:58 PM EDT
[#12]
I am also looking for a D.E. .44 mag. My local shop has one new for 1439.00, Isn't that a little high even for a new Mark XIX?. I have been waiting for years to get a D.E. .44. Know I realize I should have bought one a while ago when the prices were lower.
Link Posted: 1/11/2011 5:06:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I am also looking for a D.E. .44 mag. My local shop has one new for 1439.00, Isn't that a little high even for a new Mark XIX?. I have been waiting for years to get a D.E. .44. Know I realize I should have bought one a while ago when the prices were lower.

New ones will be cheaper on GB and Buds has sold them in the 1200s but they show none in stock now.  This is assuming you just want the plain black finish.
Link Posted: 1/11/2011 5:50:33 PM EDT
[#14]
I got one here on.the ee for $600.
Link Posted: 1/11/2011 9:37:32 PM EDT
[#15]
I bought a MK VII locally for 800.00. Black oxide, had the original box and receipt for 816.00 in 1996. Ha that means I got a good deal right?? I need the grip update to Hogue's, but it is quickly becoming one of my favorite guns. I plan on whitetail hunting with it next Nov here in Missouri. Or my S&W 500...decisions decisions. Shoot 240 grain or higher out of the older ones if you want it to cycle correctly and don't limp wrist. Other than that, it WILL hit what you aim at. It is remarkably accurate even in my hands!

Brock
Link Posted: 1/12/2011 12:17:05 AM EDT
[#16]
I have a .44 and a .50AE.

Recoil is very managable. Both of mine feel about the same recoil wise but the muzzle blast on the .50 is far more ferrocious. Of course thats why I bought it. They are big and ugly to some but out to 200 yards I can hit a 6" gong about every time (with a red dot sight on top) with either one. The hogs are getting nervous.
Link Posted: 1/13/2011 5:07:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I bought a MK VII locally for 800.00. Black oxide, had the original box and receipt for 816.00 in 1996. Ha that means I got a good deal right?? I need the grip update to Hogue's, but it is quickly becoming one of my favorite guns. I plan on whitetail hunting with it next Nov here in Missouri. Or my S&W 500...decisions decisions. Shoot 240 grain or higher out of the older ones if you want it to cycle correctly and don't limp wrist. Other than that, it WILL hit what you aim at. It is remarkably accurate even in my hands!
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j165/brockschuld/CIMG1435.jpg

Brock

Maybe it's time for a spring change?  I've had two older models myself and find them to be far less picky about ammo than the XIX.  I shoot 180grs. on up and even limp wrist it without a problem.

Link Posted: 1/13/2011 8:56:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Hmm...I think I will do that. Thank you for the advice. Do you recommend Magnum Research or Falcon or who?
Link Posted: 1/14/2011 2:26:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Hmm...I think I will do that. Thank you for the advice. Do you recommend Magnum Research or Falcon or who?

No problem.  I've had both and while I don't recall shooting with the Falcon I do remember it was considerably weaker than Magnum Research's.  I recommend the going with the M.R.I..  

Federal 180gr. JHP, Corbon 180gr. JHP, Hornady 180gr. XTP, Winchester 210gr. Silvertip have all worked perfectly in my non-Mark XIX models.  I want to say the Hornady worked in my XIX but can't say for sure.  The Hornady's a real boomer, It's piercing boom sets it apart from every other .44 load i've shot.

Good luck

Link Posted: 1/14/2011 5:08:58 PM EDT
[#20]

Just a quick crappy cell phone pic.  Still waiting on the grips to come in and I can see why the factory ones aren't very popular.  They seem to offer very little grip and I'm glad the grips will be in before the first range session.  So far it seems to be in very good shape, possibly low round count but I'm not familiar enough with these to tell really.  I guess it is low because the factory grease was everywhere but it was definitely shot as there was carbon with it in some spots.  Contrary to what you typically hear, this seems to be a very well made and engineered pistol.  I'm impressed and can sort of see why they aren't cheap now (but juding by MRIs other prices, I'll bet it could still be less) and am eager to shoot with it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2011 7:10:44 PM EDT
[#21]
I can't find a new mark XIX in .44 anywhere. I am looking for a US model. Does anyone know if the .44 barrel will have the picatinny rail? Gander mountain still has an israeli model but they want 1439.00 for it and it is kind of beat up, probably from all the people handling it. Another shop has a brand new .50 ae but its titanium gold for 1550.00, great price but I want to use it for hunting  whitetail. If anyone has any leads on a new black .44 XIX please let me know. Maybe MR will start moving them now that the shot show is over. I finally got my money together for this and I am definatley getting itchy
Link Posted: 1/18/2011 8:01:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I can't find a new mark XIX in .44 anywhere. I am looking for a US model. Does anyone know if the .44 barrel will have the picatinny rail? Gander mountain still has an israeli model but they want 1439.00 for it and it is kind of beat up, probably from all the people handling it. Another shop has a brand new .50 ae but its titanium gold for 1550.00, great price but I want to use it for hunting  whitetail. If anyone has any leads on a new black .44 XIX please let me know. Maybe MR will start moving them now that the shot show is over. I finally got my money together for this and I am definatley getting itchy

So it needs to be new, .44 and US made?  What finish are you looking for?  Which rail are we talking about, the standard one with 2 slots cut or their newer one with several?
Link Posted: 1/18/2011 4:06:19 PM EDT
[#23]
I am looking for a black finish. I would like the rail w/ multiple slots. I would prefer new or one with very few rounds fired
Link Posted: 1/19/2011 1:20:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I am looking for a black finish. I would like the rail w/ multiple slots. I would prefer new or one with very few rounds fired

Personally, the new full rail version looks like it would turn the top of the barrel into a meat grinder.  Lots of sharp edges.  

And maybe I just got a bad one, but the rail (older 2-slot version) on my .44 barrel is out of spec.  It's too narrow.  A standard set of scope rings will not fit on snugly.  I can tighten down all the way, and there is still a lot of wobble.  So far, I've found one type of rings that work (Warne, I think), or an EoTech / Holosight will work, as they have more side-to-side adjustment.  

I should check my .357 barrel to see if it's just the one, or if it's a common factory screw-up.  

Kind of a big deal when I've got the front of the barrel removed, so there is no front sight.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2011 11:06:29 AM EDT
[#25]
MRI makes rings.
Link Posted: 1/19/2011 2:26:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
MRI makes rings.

Yeah - I've seen those.  

$20 rings with a $100 price tag.

No thanks.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2011 4:16:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Finally got out there to shoot mine today.  THe hogue grips are nice and for a .44 this really does have very little recoil, even with stout loads.  I'm hooked.
Link Posted: 1/19/2011 6:25:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Has anyone else ever put a bright LED light in your bore?  I was cleaning the barrel just now and it looks like there are fine scractches in the barrel, which seems unlikely because it is chrome lined.  They look like they run in the direction of the rifling, looks pretty strange.  I guess it is a pistol so accuracy isn't affected so I probably  have no reason to worry.
Link Posted: 1/20/2011 5:24:53 AM EDT
[#29]
I haven't looked in my lastest one but I know one of my other ones had the same thing.  I wouldn't worry about it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2011 6:55:19 AM EDT
[#30]
In my family we have a .357 Mag, .41 Mag, .44 Mag, 50AE w/ 10" barrel, and a 50AE w/ 6" barrel.

The least we have paid was $650 (.44 Mag), the most was $1115 (50AE w/ 6" barrel but it's new).  All are Mark VII's (but I have read that the 50AE's are Mark XIX's.  

They are kind of fun though just don't use a high thumbs grip  I lost half of my thumb's fingernail that way when it caught in the slide stop groove.

We are going to pick up the 6" 50AE locally tomorrow so that saves some $$.
Link Posted: 2/10/2011 8:01:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Well, I just had to pick up another one already.  A mark XIX this time in what appears to be brushed chrome.  TOo bright for matte and not bling enough to be polished.  Got a great deal so I couldn't pass it up, 3 mags fired through it and is MINT.  The heft is noticeably larger than the mark VII

Link Posted: 2/10/2011 8:02:44 PM EDT
[#32]
ehh last picture came out like shit.  The Mark XIX barrel is much thicker since it is designed to also accomodate the .50" bore size.  I think it would be nice if they offered unfluted .44 barrels.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 3:30:12 AM EDT
[#33]
I miss my DE.  I bought one the first year they came out with money I saved up from basic training.  Then I sold that one as soon as the Stainless models became available and shot the hell out of it.  I shot it so much and killed so many deer with it I wore out the extractor.  At the time is was difficult to get parts so I just lived with it for a bit, but it was killing me.  When the extractor wore down it had a tendency to eject the 44 cases straight to the bridge of my nose/forehead area.  For some reason I developed a hell of a flinch.  I sold it so I could buy a nice SIG 229, but I will have one again someday.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 8:29:52 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Congratulations on the purchase.  Recoil was more tame than I expected when I shot mine for the first time.  Your velocities should be in tune with those from a 5".  Oh yeah, thanks for the mag connect.  I had totally forgotten they carry DE mags and for a heck of a price too.

I chrono'd my "Desert Eagle" 300gr load for the first time yesterday.  1207fps.  1.600" COAL 18.3gr N110 with great accuracy and the recoil is still far less than you'd expect.  Huge difference from the revolver.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 1:11:46 PM EDT
[#35]
My old 1st version 44 DE is a super light kicker and I even have a nice G&G shoulder holster for it and ccw it on occasion under a light jacket. It makes me laugh.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top