Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Site Notices
Posted: 2/28/2002 6:32:14 PM EDT
Last weekend I was out shooting with both my HK UPS45 and my Springfield Mil-Spec 1911.  After shooting the 1911 I switched over to the HK.  When running through the drills I was having problems pushing down on the safety and not being able to fire.  I know this is because when I shoot the 1911 my thumb rides on the safety.  You cant do that with the HK.  At least do it with any kind of pressure.  Anyone else experience this?  I know its not a problem with the gun at all.  Its a great gun, the problems lies in my shooting technique.
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 4:46:43 AM EDT
[#1]
When I had my 1911's I never shot with my thumb on the safety so when I got my H&K's it wasnt any different for me. I just picked up a couple of mine and I can see where trying to shoot that way would not only put your hand in an un-natural position, but you run the risk of decocking in mid fire. I guess the only suggestion I can think of is to just try getting used to shooting with your thumb under the safety. I know I'm not telling you anything you didnt already know though.
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 7:28:22 AM EDT
[#2]
I've got a 1911 and a USP as well, so I know the trouble you're having transitioning between the two.

I learned to shoot with my thumb on the 1911 safety, but not pressing down with any pressure. The idea is to just lay the thumb up there rather than have the thumb under the safety. If your thumb smacks the bottom of the safety lever on recoil, the weapon won't fire the next time you press the trigger. Laying it on top of the safety lever avoids this.

When you go to the USP, if you just rest your firing hand thumb up there on top of the safety lever with no pressure, you shouldn't have any trouble with decocking the weapon. The safety lever is a little higher on the USP than the 1911 however, so you might feel the recoil coming back into your thumb a little more on the USP.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 7:33:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 6:00:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 7:42:13 PM EDT
[#5]
If you don't want to develope a new tecnique, change the control lever to the right side of the weapon.  It's quick and easy and you will still have the other lever in your drawer if you learn thumb placement.  In regards to "Lord Trader" (who has obviously placed himself on a pedestal with no-one even noticing)I find Glocks to be quality weapons with nearly acceptable accuracy.  Also, twice the number of parts that a good pistol should need, pointability and feel that can be adequit with a little corrective surgery to the wrist and hand.  If you prefer UGLY, the Glock has all other brands beat Hands-down.

Quality with historical anbience makes the 1911's (and clones)a good choice.  If they pointed well, I'd have one myself.

The BOTTOM LINE is, if you want reliability, accuracy and longevity then you buy HK.  Never less than a SIG if you really have to step down.

Mabey Mr. Lord would like to expound on the merits of his fine collection of Hi-Point pistols.  At $99.00 apiece, 5 of these might last as long as his fine Glock.  (At least they don't have grip holes that need an accessory plug ang a parts diagram for the trigger alone.

Me, I'll stay loyal to my P7PSP,VP7OZ,USP45c and my USP45Tac.  With the limited experience of only 4 HK pistols though, mabey I should wait until I know a little more about HKs.
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top