Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2009 2:36:56 PM EDT
Ok I just got back from the gun store.

was looking at a tricked out 9mm USP LEM with 5 clear mags.

The magazine well was flared and I believe the trigger had been worked over.

they were asking $850.

Now about the trigger.

That has got to be one of the best triggers I have ever tried.

Better than my Para LDA.

They call it a double action.

When you rack the slide it partially cocks the trigger.

Then there is a light smooth 5 lb pull and crisp unexpected release.

Whenever there is a round in battery, the light trigger pull will fire the gun.

Then if the trigger is pulled again it is a bit stiffer, (but not much) for a full double action (second strike) at the primer.

I dont believe it had a decocker, so it seams like the only time the heavier trigger pull comes into play is that 2nd strike capability.

Very nice.

This is what I have been looking for.!!

My question to you is this.

Is this how all H&K LEM triggers work?

In other words if an H&K Pistol has LEM on the box can I expect this trigger?

Will the trigger be this nice, or was this one (being worked over) an especially nice trigger?

It was 9mm so I didn't jump on it, but now im thinking maybe I should go back and get it.

is $850 a good price?

or should I wait for an H&K LEM in 45?

what say you?

Link Posted: 8/7/2009 4:29:59 PM EDT
[#1]
The pistol you looked at is the LEM V1.  The standard LEM's trigger pull is 8 pounds, but they can be converted to have a 7 pound, 6 pound, and 5 pound pull, depending on what springs are in it.  The only way to tell which variant it is is to measure the trigger pull.  V1 will be 5 pounds, V2-standard-will be 8 pounds, and V4 can be 6 or 7 pounds.  All LEMs work the same and there is no decocker.  The pistol you saw has the JF mag on it and with 5 mags, that is a pretty good price.  The JF is about a $80 option and the three extra mags are roughly $60 each and they each hold 18 rounds.  If you want a 9mm this would be a nice one to pick up.  If you want a .45 though, the HK .45 can be had or converted to LEM, although the .45 cannot be had with a jet funnel or extended capacity mags.  If you buy a standard off the shelf (unless it is the Combat Competition) LEM it will most likely have the standard 8 pound pull which is not near as nice as the light V1 LEM.  When I first tried the LEM on my P2K (LEM V2) I was not overly impressed with it, but after converting to LEM V1 I fell in love with the trigger and converted all my non-match triggered shooters over to LEM V1.
Link Posted: 8/7/2009 5:19:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Ugh I hate the LEM trigger.  It should be on a keltec or something.
Link Posted: 8/7/2009 5:44:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't like it, then don't use it.  Nobody is making you and I'd wager you have never shot one more than one or two mags full.  Like all trigger systems it takes a little getting use to but HK haters would not like anything HK brought out no matter how state of the art or great it might be.  I suggest you stick with whatever your favorite is and quit trying to rain on other's parade.  But that is how HK haters are, they cannot resist the opportunity to slam anything HK.
Link Posted: 8/7/2009 7:17:44 PM EDT
[#4]
$850 is a steal. Better get it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2009 4:44:42 AM EDT
[#5]
I think I may go get it today.

but now that I have educated myself on the LEM trigger,

I know that if I wanted a 45 I could get the LEM on any USP.

What this pistol has is the Jet Flunnel system and 5 mags.

I also found one in 40 with jet flow and 3 mags for about the same price.

I would have to add the cost of the LEM conversion.

Is the Jet Funnel system something really great that I definitely dont want to mis out on?

Link Posted: 8/8/2009 2:46:46 PM EDT
[#6]
That is a hard one to answer for someone else.  As I posted on the other site, it is nice to have, but there are drawbacks.  It makes the grip longer, you must use JF mags when the funnel part is attached because standard full caps will not lock in with the funnel on.  It is easy to take off the funnel if you want to use standard caps but it is something you need to take into account.  The JF mags hold 18 9mm and 16 .40.  If you are in to high cap then that is nice.  Personally, I am content with 8 in my USPC .45 or 10 if I use the longer mags.
If you don't like the 9mm then you would be happier getting a USP .40 and adding a JF to it.
However, that pistol seems like a sweet deal even if it is a 9mm.
Link Posted: 8/9/2009 4:26:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Picked up the pistol today.

This would have been my first H&K

full size USP 9mm

I am told the following modifications were made.

LEM trigger.  the trigger has been lightened and smoothed out beyond that of a standaed LEM trigger.

The barrel and slide were lightened  (not sure what this means)  but the result is less weight up front.

The jet funnel system is installed and there are 5 magazines.

it has after market night sights (truglo I think) Im told these are an upgrade.

All in all I was pretty pleased with this pistol and was feeling like I got a good deal.

Then my wife informed me that it was now her pistol and thanked me for getting it for her.

go figure.

Link Posted: 8/9/2009 8:36:03 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

The barrel and slide were lightened  (not sure what this means)  but the result is less weight up front.

I've never seen a USP with this done.  Can you post pictures?

Link Posted: 8/9/2009 10:38:46 PM EDT
[#9]

Havent brought it home yet, so Im not sure exactly how they did that.

when I go pick it up I will compare it to a stock version and maybe I can see what was done.  

Then yes I will post pictures.    

Link Posted: 8/10/2009 11:30:14 AM EDT
[#10]
In regards to the original 1993 USP 9mm, the slide was lightened by HK but surely the seller was not referring to HK lightening the slide.  That would be very misleading if not outright lying.  Even with the lightening of the 9mm USP slide, ejection is pretty anemic unless you use heavy bullets and +P ammo or better.  I imagine whoever did the work took HK's lightening a step further.  Just hope they did not over do it and what they did will cause the slide to fail if a steady diet of +P loads are run through it.  One thing for sure, with aftermarket milling being done to the slide, HK won't touch a repair on it under their warranty.  They say the warranty is for the first buyer only but that is not the case in the real world.  If it is a warranty claim and the part in question has not been monkeyed with, HK fixes it, first owner or fifth.  That won't be the case should you have a problem though so do be aware, if you have a slide problem, a slide from HK costs almost as much as a new pistol so the repair, if and when it is needed, will not be cheap.  My money is on that you will not have any problems though.  Nice snag and I'd say it is a much better pistol than what HK sold the first buyer.
Link Posted: 8/10/2009 3:28:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Just as an aside, I sent HK a cracked early USP 40 slide that had been refinished aftermarket in hard chrome.  The slide was bought used by myself.

They still replaced the slide when they had all kinds of reasons not to.  As the CS rep said, "it shouldn't matter what color it is, this shouldn't have happened".  Excellent customer service in that regard.  But as Big Bore said... if someone REALLY messed with it in an attempt to lighten it... you won't get warranty service.

I'm interested to see what they did.  Maybe it's ported or something?  I dunno...
Link Posted: 8/12/2009 6:34:26 PM EDT
[#12]
I think the LEM trigger is one of the best out there right now. Sig's DAK trigger comes close but isn't as smooth. Probably the only HK trigger set up I would pick over it would be a SAO version. Sounds like a great deal to me. Go for it!
Link Posted: 8/14/2009 2:31:28 PM EDT
[#13]
I did end up buying this pistol.

However it was a consignemt pistol so I don't rely on the guy behind the counter knowing what the prior owner had done.

when I go get it I will compare it to anither USP 9mm and see if I can spot any differences.

here is what I know for sure.   It has the sweetest DOA type triger I have felt.   better than Para's LDA.

and it has the Jet Funnel mag system with 5 18 rnd clear mags.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2009 12:01:51 AM EDT
[#14]
there is a variation of the usp called the combat competition that has the jet funnel, hi-viz red fiber optic front sight, overtravel stop on the trigger, and the hybrid lem trigger which is the light lem and match trigger hybrid. it is like a smooth d/a revolver. if it has the original box it should detail what it is unless the stickers have been removed.
Link Posted: 8/29/2009 3:57:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Any pics yet???
Link Posted: 9/2/2009 2:30:23 AM EDT
[#16]
I pick the gun up next weekend.   Pictures then.

In VA they have a 1 gun a month rule.

Its the Law.

Its also going to put me in poor house.

I dont know how long I can afford to continue to buy 1 gun a month.

but I have to.  Its the law.

Link Posted: 9/2/2009 8:57:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Its the Law.

LOL, I love it.  

Link Posted: 9/2/2009 9:43:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Its the Law.

Damn quotas!
If you have a CCW, it increases the 1 gun a month.
It's a blessing and a curse.

As for the LEM, I like it with the lighter springs.  The short, single action reset is nice if you can learn to shoot off the reset.
The double action pull is certainly a ton better than my standard DA/SA USP.
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 4:50:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Virginia has this One gun a month Law.

Ok, so one month passes by and I find I have to buy another gun. Again.

Its the Law right?

So I look on gun broker and find this deal for a package from HK

A P2000 SK 9mm V2 LEM with 3 magazines, Truglo Night sithts and a Laserlyte laser.

I think the Laser even comes with the HK logo.

All for $809.

I figure the laser is worth a hundred bucks right

and the extra magazine is worth something, and the night sights are about 80 bucks arn't they?

Anyway the way I figured it I was getting the P2000 SK brand spanking New for less than 700 bucks when you figure in the extras.

So I just bought my second ever HK.

Link Posted: 10/27/2009 6:39:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Virginia has this One gun a month Law.
Ok, so one month passes by and I find I have to buy another gun. Again.
Its the Law right?
So I look on gun broker and find this deal for a package from HK
A P2000 SK 9mm V2 LEM with 3 magazines, Truglo Night sithts and a Laserlyte laser.
I think the Laser even comes with the HK logo.
All for $809.
I figure the laser is worth a hundred bucks right
and the extra magazine is worth something, and the night sights are about 80 bucks arn't they?
Anyway the way I figured it I was getting the P2000 SK brand spanking New for less than 700 bucks when you figure in the extras.
So I just bought my second ever HK.

Yes, the sickness in you is growing as planned.

Good, good...

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:38:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Pcked up the P2000 SK today.

the Laser does come with the HK logo which is cool.

I got an email today that the flush baseplates I ordered from Midway just shipped, so Ill be changing those out when they get here.

I have an observation about the LEM trigger.  

The trigger reset on the P2000 SK LEM V2 is about twice as long as the trigger reset on my USP LEM V1.

The USP LEM has a really short reset.

Anybode else notice this?

Also anybody know of a belt holster that will work for the p2000SK with laser attached?

Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top