Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Posted: 11/11/2003 8:10:58 PM EDT
I read somewhere that you shouldn't use the HK factory match trigger kit in the USP, if you were going to carry/use for defense. Is this true? If so, why? Is it less reliable than the stock trigger?

Steve
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 5:41:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Lots of reasons for this cautionary statement. The biggest reason is that the dynamics of a real fight are not the same as trying to hit targets on the range. In addition, and every bit as important, the last thing you need to be doing is defending yourself in court from charges stemming from an otherwise justified shooting because your pistol has a "Hair Trigger"...which is exactly what it will be called. Can you say "Evidence of a lack of due care for the safety of others"? Or maybe "Evidence of depraved indifference on the part of this man...for whom a standard trigger was not DEADLY enough in his HIGH CALIBER handgun...Nooo...HE had a special "HAIR TRIGGER" installed to make it even MORE deadly! Tell the truth Mr. SteveW13...you really WANTED to shoot some poor, innocent victim like my crippled client over there in his WHEELCHAIR, didn't you? You were LOOKING for someone to shoot, weren't you?" Blah, blah, blah.

Believe it...stuff like this happens every day in courtrooms all over the country. Don't borrow trouble you don't need. If the factory says "For target use only" in the literature, that is exactly what the rep will say in court!
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 5:49:26 AM EDT
[#2]
One concern that I can think of is that the overtravel screw can back out under recoil and prevent the trigger from going back far enough to drop the hammer. LOCTITE it and it's not a concern, but I don't think HK mentions LOCTITE in the manual.
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 7:02:13 PM EDT
[#3]
The USP match trigger is not a hair trigger.  I have a tactical and it doesn't state anywhere not to use for duty or carry.  Jarhead is right about the overtravel screw.  it needs to be loctited to keep it from unscrewing or you may end up with a weapon that doesn't fire.  a lot of guys just remove it.  I installed one one my usp9 also and it is very smooth and crisp.  even the double action is.  Mine had a short break in period, but it is sweet now.

Ikor, it is the dynamics of a real life shooting that demands the need of a good if not great trigger.  bad trigger make you miss and you could kill the wrong person.  a justified shooting is a justified shooting.  If there is doubt you should not have taken the shot.
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 7:32:41 PM EDT
[#4]
maybe ikor has been reading too many gun magazines...
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 4:59:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Or maybe ikor has lived it for three decades!
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 2:57:19 PM EDT
[#6]
The 45 tactical doesn’t have a true match grade trigger…by saying match grade, HK meant an adjustable stop.
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top