Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Posted: 7/5/2008 11:43:36 PM EDT
So I recently got the CDNN special, which was a new P2000SK in .357 Sig with an extra .40 barrel.  I would have preferred the base model to be in .40, but the deal was too good to pass up.

I have put 100 rounds through it so far, which were a mix of 125 grain WWB .357 Sig, 165 grain WWB .40, and 180 grain Blazer Brass.

The .357 Sig was quite expensive, and the recoil was relatively harsh.  I could not tell a difference between the 165 and 180 grain .40, but perhaps they were loaded differently due to the fact that it was two different manufacturers I was testing.

I want to stock up on ammo, but I'm not sure what to get.  The .357 was rather expensive at Walmart, $22.76 for 50 rounds.  If I want to stock any .357 (I am more interested in shooting .40), I know I will go with 1000 rounds of Lawman from Ammoman.

The blazer brass was $12.47 a box, so even with Michigan sales tax, it works out to be the cheapest deal I can find.  WWB was $26.88 a box, so that is a close second.  So, my main question with regards to .40 caliber is:

Should I:
a) Stock up on Blazer Brass
b) Stock up on WWB, which as I understand is slightly better than Blazer Brass, although both cycled fine in my pistol and I could not tell a difference in recoil
c)Buy some of the quality control rejected Gold Dots from Ammoman at a slightly higher price, which would allow me to practice with defensive ammunition?  And if so, 165 grain or 180 grain out of that short barrel?

Thanks a lot!
Link Posted: 7/6/2008 4:21:38 PM EDT
[#1]
IMHO I think you may be able to find better deals than ammoman. If you want to shoot the 40, which you say you find more agreeable, then I'd seriously consider selling the 357 barrel. You said it yourself, you don't like the recoil and ammo is expensive compared to the 40. If you don't like the recoil, then you won't like to practice with it, so why keep it. Sell it, and use it to defer the cost of even more ammo so you can practice.

So to answer your question:

As far as WWB and blazer brass are concerned, I don't know where you heard that blazer brass was of less quality but everytime i have used it, it has been one of the most clean burning ammunitions in my guns.

And as far as ammoman is concerned, I think you can do better than buying quality control rejected ammo from him for only a markdown of a few dollars.
Link Posted: 7/7/2008 7:23:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Blazer is usually cleaner burning and is a quality round.  If it is the aluminum case regular blazer that is a decent price.  If it is blazer brass, that is an even better price.  I prefer the brass case myself, but for plinking I don't think it matters much.  I've had trouble with their .380 rounds feeding in another gun, but that is another matter.  

That price from Wallyworld WWB, that is for the 100 round value pack for 165 grn correct?  I think that is you best and least expensive option for .40 cal.  I don't know if I'd sell the .357 barrel, but I might just buy some cheap plinking ammo for a rainy day.  I would carry the .40 since you find the recoil more managable and you are more likely to practice since it feels better and it is cheaper for the .40.  Carry with what you practice.

I almost exclusively buy my ammo online from ammunition to go . com, but sometimes deals can be found other places.  Like I said, for practice, I have yet to find anything cheaper and more reliable than WWB 100 round packs at wallyworld.
Link Posted: 7/7/2008 9:34:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Once you find some defensive ammo that you want to use, get enough to run through your gun to make sure if feeds well.  Maybe a couple of hundred rounds before you feel confident there won't be any surprises or problems.  Then buy the cheapest ammo that will function reliable in your gun to practice with.  Run a mag or two of your defensive ammo during each trip to the range.

Keep the 357 barrel so if you ever decide to sell the gun you'll have it in original configuration.  I would probably be inclined to pay less for a 357 marked gun with only a .40 barrel.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 10:54:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Blazer brass for practice.-- 357Sig.----Gold dots for carry. 40--165 Gr. Win. Ranger for carry. I run a few boxes of the expensive stuff to test and it worked very well .
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:08:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Keep it as a combo. Is the extra barrel a factory barrel? CDNN is selling this gun combo for $699.00 plus $10.00 shipping.
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top