Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Posted: 5/6/2003 5:04:04 PM EDT
Hi everyone.  I've caught the "I need a new gun" bug again, this time I want to try a Heckler & Koch USP.  I've never owned one before, actually I've never even fired one before.  I currently own Glocks and a Kel-Tec and have previously owned a Sig P229 and Beretta 92FS, so H&K USP seems like the logical next step for a good auto pistol (my "logic" is often questioned, heh heh).  Anyway, I held a USP 9 and a USP 45 in my hands a while back and although I'd like a .45, the 9mm fit my hand much more comfortably.  So, it's going to be the USP 9 or 40.  

None of the local shops have USP's in stock currently although they all offered to order a new one for me.  The shop I normally do business with quoted me a price of $739 for a NIB USP 40 (full size, Variant 1).  Does this sound kinda high?  It does to me but then again, I've never bought a USP before.  I really want one and probably won't satisfy the "bug" until I do, but that sounds like a lot of money for a handgun.

Has anyone else purchased one recently and would be willing to share advice, either about the USP in general, the price ranges, etc?  I'd really appreciate it.  Thanks!

Edited to say: before everyone suggests trying one out, I don't know anyone with a USP personally, no local shops will let you try one out, and there are no rental ranges in my area of NY (I don't even think renting handguns is legal in NY).  So the only way to try it is to buy it, and take my chances.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 5:15:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Use the EE here......

I bought mine new in 99 IIRC.....I paid almost $700.  There are new ones listed her on the EE for $650 or lower sometimes.

$739 sounds about right for retail.  What is Impact Guns listing them at?  $650....you'll be looking at $30++ for shipping plus FFL fees on your end.  The $739 price becomes a deal.

If you can find one here used you will be getting a great gun at a steal.

Have the seller agree to a 3 day inspection {no-fire} and be done with it....

Good luck....

Oh, and you really aren't taking a chance site unseen with a NIB H&K......they are quality ++....
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 10:31:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I paid $550 for mine.  HK USP .40 stainless.  It was purchased in 1998.  Hell of a gun.  You wont be sorry.

You might want to run a search on www.gunsamerica.com to give you an idea of prices.

HK has excellent customer service too.  The gun also has a lifetime warranty.  The retainer came off the spring buffer last summer.  I experienced no jams while shooting.  When i got home i took it apart and cleaned it.  Thats when it came apart.

I called HK up and told them the problem.  They said "No problem sir, we'll ship one out tomorrow".  FREE of course!!

Magazines, the cheapest place i know to get 10 round HK mags is at www.cdnninvestments.com.  I think they are $30.  For preban high capacity (13rnd), there is a guy in the equipment exchange forum that goes by ROBERTJOHNSON.  He has them for $60 shipped i think.

I have close to 2200 rounds thru mine.  NO jams.  NO problems (other than the spring buffer retainer).  I THINK you will be happy.

Anyway, good hunting, hope you find one at a good price.

enjoy......
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 10:59:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I own a USP S/S Compact in .45acp & I love it. It's my carry gun for all purposes. I have also shot IDPA with it as well.

I would strongly suggest you get a compact model in whichever caliber you decide. The compacts seem to balance much better for me & mags are a bunch cheaper than the full sized ones, it seems.

Your price of $739 isn't too bad but you should be able to beat that at a gunshow. These are the most accurate guns you can buy today.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 12:22:18 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I own a USP S/S Compact in .45acp & I love it. It's my carry gun for all purposes. I have also shot IDPA with it as well.

I would strongly suggest you get a compact model in whichever caliber you decide. The compacts seem to balance much better for me & mags are a bunch cheaper than the full sized ones, it seems.

Your price of $739 isn't too bad but you should be able to beat that at a gunshow. These are the most accurate guns you can buy today.

How & where do you get compact mags cheaper.

I may be purchasing a compact within a week is the reason i am asking. (.40 compact)

Cheapest i have seen is like $40

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 7:46:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies everyone, they are very helpful.  

As for the compact vs. full size, I pretty much have my heart set on the full sized USP 40.  Maybe the mags are slightly higher priced, but as this won't be a carry gun I don't really need a compact model (my Glock 32 fills that role).  Plus, I plan on doing business with ROBERTJOHNSON for some pre-ban, full-cap mags if I get the USP 40.

Right now www.cdnninvestments.com has used USP 40's for $399, but I think they're only variant 3/4 and I'd prefer a 1.

Can the "variant" be changed for a USP (i.e. change a variant 3 to a variant 1)?
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 7:53:14 AM EDT
[#6]
If you're interested in a used (trade-in) gun, check www.cdnninvestments.com. They are advertising USP 40's from $399.99 to $439.99, depending on finish & variant. I haven't logged onto their website yet, but they are advertising them in the catalog.

I think you will be happy with the USP. I have had a USP40 since they first came out, & I have had ZERO problems. No FTFs, no breakage, very accurate, very well thought-out gun. I carried mine daily for 4yrs. while in uniform, & had complete confidence.

BTW, CDNN is also selling the 10 rd. mags for the full size .40 for $28.99.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 10:24:49 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Can the "variant" be changed for a USP (i.e. change a variant 3 to a variant 1)?

Faster than it took for you to ask about it.

Link Posted: 5/9/2003 5:43:46 AM EDT
[#8]

Yes. The USP is meant to be a modular weapons platform.

Incidentally, CDNN is selling NIB stainless USP 9mms for $599. That's pretty cheap. I bought my stainless USP .40 last year for $682.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 11:20:40 AM EDT
[#9]
BobCole -

What is the procedure for changing a USP Variant 3 to a Variant 1?  If this is something the owner can do at home, would I need special tools or parts?  

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 1:54:18 PM EDT
[#10]

What is the procedure for changing a USP Variant 3 to a Variant 1? If this is something the owner can do at home, would I need special tools or parts?

Hard to explain right off. You'll need the parts, which include a new safety decocker lever, selector plate, and possibly one other part (I'd have to look at my HK armorer's manual to be sure). Remove the slide and drift out the pins that hold the selector plate and lift it out. The safety/decocker lever is held in with a plunger that you'll need to depress to release.

*DISCLAIMER*
THIS IS JUST A VERY ROUGH OVERVIEW OF THE PROCEDURE. YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR OWN WEAPON.

The HK USP Armorer's Manual is very terse in its descriptions of switching variants. It consists of a picture of the parts to be removed and a picture of the parts to be reinstalled. If you lack mechanical or spatial ability, understand that HK will void your warranty in a heartbeat.

HK will NOT sell or provide you with any parts or manuals (yet HK will gladly take your money if you send them the pistol and let them perform the labor). You will have to get them from an outside vendor. I bought the parts to swap the variant on my USP from the vendor on HKPro and bought an armorer's manual from an HK LE distributor in Nevada.

There are HK Armorer's Manuals on Gunbroker and some of the other auction 'sites. It's been my experience that these are all unauthorized copies. I don't have any problem with copyrights, because you do whatever you have to do, but the quality of these copies is usually poor. In a manual with very little text, the quality of the pictures is somewhat more important.

HK is also fairly nasty about how their manual is distributed. I can provide you copies of the variant change from my manual if you have a fax. (SO THERE, HK!!!)
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 2:00:41 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
BobCole -

What is the procedure for changing a USP Variant 3 to a Variant 1?  If this is something the owner can do at home, would I need special tools or parts?  

Thanks!

Sure, one could do it at home if one is a gunsmith.        

Seriously, I would simply find out where the closest H&K authorized armorer is & then have him do it. That's a lot faster than having H&K themselves do it, IMO.

On a personal note, I NEVER work on my guns. IMO, that's like doing surgery on yourself: better left to the professionals.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 2:17:16 PM EDT
[#12]

Sure, one could do it at home if one is a gunsmith.

The level of difficulty for this job doesn't really require a gunsmith.

Seriously, I would simply find out where the closest H&K authorized armorer is & then have him do it.

HK doesn't maintain a database of HK-certified armorers. I asked ("Your dealer should know.").

That's a lot faster than having H&K themselves do it, IMO.

Don't EVER send your stuff to HK. They SUCK.

On a personal note, I NEVER work on my guns. IMO, that's like doing surgery on yourself: better left to the professionals.

Yes, but minor parts replacement shouldn't be intimidating. There's not a great deal of disassembly involved here and no metal tolerances to maintain. If you've ever built an AR and you were happy with those results, then you can do this.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 8:11:22 PM EDT
[#13]
   I bought a HK 40 back in 97, and have had no problems at all with it.  I love my Glock 22 also, but if I had to sell one for quick cash, I would sell the Glock.  Go ahead and get the USP 40, you won't regret it.
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top