Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Site Notices
Posted: 11/25/2001 3:20:07 PM EDT
Hey Guys,

My shelves are basically empty of .45 caliber shells...and I'm going shopping....

I want to see if you can provide some information on brand selection (caliber really doesn't matter):

1.  What brand do you shoot at the range?
2.  What brand do you keep/shoot for defense?

Thanks in advance.  This should be a nice thread for others to use as a reference as this forum develops.  
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 10:57:42 AM EDT
[#1]
For range use, anything other than CCI Blazer crap loads.  That's mostly Winchester white box FMJ.  For defensive loads, I like Federal Hydrashok or Speer Gold Dots.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 2:13:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Winchester Silver Tip for self protection and like GodBlessTexas I use anything for practice EXCEPT CCI Blazer.  The stuff is crap!
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 11:17:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Even though I shot 9mm. Winchester white box is good plinking ammo. For defense it's hard to go wrong with any of the top brands. Federal Hydrashok is my favorite, but for no other reason other than that's what I started with and I'm satisfied. Hydrashoks, Golden Sabers, Gold Dots, and Corbons are probably the tops and one them will serve you well. I have seen the Corbon 45s and it looks like a small wastbasket with the huge hollowpoint. Kind of like taking out the garbage with them if you have to use them for self defense.

No Slack!
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 9:07:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Federal HydraShok in 45ACP 230 gr is one of your better bets.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 6:48:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 6:25:22 AM EDT
[#6]
For those who need cheap 45acp ammo, check Georgia Arms web site. I buy their stuff at local gunshows & really like their dependablilty & accuracy.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 6:17:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Well it's Federal all the way for me.  For practice I stock up on Federal American Eagle 40 cal 155 grain FMJ.  As for self defense, I use Federal Premium 40 cal 155 grain Hydra-Shok JHP.

My USP Compact 40 has never hiccupped once using these.

USPC40

-------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member - www.nra.org
GOA Life Member - www.gunowners.org
SAF Supporter - www.saf.org
SAS Supporter - www.sas-aim.org

Link Posted: 1/27/2002 7:20:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 9:57:17 AM EDT
[#9]
For the range, I go with the tried and true Winchester white box 230gr FMJ.

For carry I have some Remington Golden Saber 230gr JHP and the ever popular Speer Gold Dot "Flying Ashtray" 230gr JHP.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 2:12:03 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
For the range, I go with the tried and true Winchester white box 230gr FMJ.

For carry I have some Remington Golden Saber 230gr JHP and the ever popular Speer Gold Dot "Flying Ashtray" 230gr JHP.

ill agree heartliy with the winchester white box.  good range ammo.  i like it better than anything else i've tried.  UMC yellow box stuff is pretty decent too (not any cheaper than the winchester, though) the only stuff i haven't liked was PMC.  bad accuracy and underpower loads.  may have just got a few bad boxes, but it was enough to steer me clear.
for home stuffs the 230gr hydrashok is what floats my boat. i wish i had enough spare $$$ to buy a big collection of this stuff
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 3:49:57 PM EDT
[#11]
I use mostly Fiocchi 230 gr. ball at the range, but I also try to shoot a box or two of my defensive ammo, which is Golden Saber 185 gr. +P.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 4:08:31 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
HydraShocks or Silvertips for defense, wadcutters as last resort.  (At least the prick might get lead poisoning!!)  Always wondered about the wound potential of those....

I recall an article that made a very good case for the wounding characteristics of the wadcutter load.  Recommended to be a handload, since some factory wadcutters were not full charges.  "Meta-Plate" effect fromthe flat nose, and a nice dense round.  Supposed to put pack quite a wallop.

TheRedGoat
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 11:49:19 AM EDT
[#13]
For practice, I shoot a lot of the Winchester USA white box stuff.  The 9mm runs about $6/box here, and the .357 110 grain JHP ($12.50/box) makes a great carry load for the small .357s, and the recoil sensitives that want something better than the .38 Special. In .45 Colt I usually end up with the 200 grain Blazer or the Blackhills Cowboy loads.  Of course my carry ammo gets fired up at the range on a regular basis, too.

Carry loads are almost all Cor-Bon, especially the 200 grain .45 Colt load, the 115 grain +P 9mm load and in really crowded venues I stick with their 90 grain 9mm +P. The big exception would be .357, and that gets fed the Remington 125 gr. JHP, or the white box .357 I mentioned earlier.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 2:58:56 PM EDT
[#14]
For practice I bought a case of CCI/Speer hardball from ammoman.  For defensive I reload the empties with 200 grain Speer GoldDots over 7.0 grains of Unique and a CCI large pistol primer.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 5:51:34 PM EDT
[#15]
You guys are either wealthy or you don't shoot very much. I use handloads almost exclusively. The SWC and the flatpoint are only a BIT better than ball ammo in animal tests, and then only if they are loaded pretty hot. The shock wave in the fluid-filled tissue means that the swc's shoulder never actually touches anything, with the exception of bones. I use a 200 gr long nosed #68 swc, at 800 fps for practice, and super lw prefrags of my own design for defense, at rifle-type velocities. In particular, the 230 gr .45 jhp's do very poorly on animals. There is rarely much in the way of expansion at such low speeds.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 6:39:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top