Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Site Notices
Posted: 4/4/2006 9:58:54 PM EDT
I went to the range today and rented a variety of 45's that I was considering and I decided the USP is the gun for me.

I tested out the regular .45 USP fullsize and the .45 expert, and I think I liked the expert better, mostly because it seemed more accurate and the trigger felt better.

But it's also about 200 bucks more.

Is there any way to make a regular fullsize USP feel like the expert? Are there any variants of the fullsize USP that has the o-ring on the barrel, (but without the threaded barrel?)

Thanks a bunch
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:41:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Expert has a Match Trigger. USP does not. Mk23, Tac, Expert, and Elite all have O-Ring Barrels as well as the match trigger.  
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:52:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Get the Expert.

Match trigger
Target Sights
Ambi - Controls

I think it balances better then the regular USP when loaded
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:02:07 AM EDT
[#3]
If you plan on carrying it, get a compact. I have a USP compact .45 and love it.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:02:49 AM EDT
[#4]
No, i don't plan on carrying it. I'm 6 foot 2 and 210 pounds so I rarely get into situations where I'd need to defentd myself. Plus I live in los angeles and would be inviting a world of legal hurt if I decided to carry.

Anyhoo, I just like shooting for the fun of it, and I live really near the LAPD gun range which is 5 bucks to shoot at. I've got a ruger p95 right now which is nice, but it's hardly the most accurate pistol in the world, and I've been looking to get something a little more substantial than 9mm for a while.

What sort of price should I expect to pay for an expert? I'm looking around online and i'm finding them anywhere from 850 to 1500. I have yet to see if they have them at the turners in long beach. I know they carry the regular USP, but I'm not sure about the expert.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:13:45 AM EDT
[#5]
I would go with the USPF .45.  Spend the extrea $200 on ammo.  Speaking for myself and I expect many others, you may not be able to see the increased accuracy as the stock usp45 is pretty darn accurate.  You can always upgrade the trigger and sights later.

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:15:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Well, I don't own a USP (I've always wanted to!), but it seems like from what you've said rules out compacts (because you're a big dude, and you're not carrying it), and rules out tacticals (because you're in CA).

The expert seems like a good match, but I've only shot the compact and full size.

Why is the Expert no longer on their website? Here  I remember it being the weird looking one, with a tapered nose... but it's not there anymore?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:28:36 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Well, I don't own a USP (I've always wanted to!), but it seems like from what you've said rules out compacts (because you're a big dude, and you're not carrying it), and rules out tacticals (because you're in CA).

The expert seems like a good match, but I've only shot the compact and full size.

Why is the Expert no longer on their website? Here  I remember it being the weird looking one, with a tapered nose... but it's not there anymore?

Not sure, I found it via google here

Strange it's not there though.

Anyway, I didn't realize you could get a trigger job on them at a later time. I thought you were stuck with whatever trigger you got.

I'll see if they even have any experts available in my area and what their prices are. Anyone know what the cost on a match trigger for a USP usually goes for?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:35:58 AM EDT
[#8]
The Expert isn't on the HK website because it's been discontinued as of this year. Dealers still have some, though, I saw them in the latest CDNN catalog along with the Elite (that's the one with the funny tapered nose) http://www.cdnninvestments.com/dowournewcat.html
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:29:03 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I would go with the USPF .45.  Spend the extrea $200 on ammo.  Speaking for myself and I expect many others, you may not be able to see the increased accuracy as the stock usp45 is pretty darn accurate.  You can always upgrade the trigger and sights later.

Would you say that the O-ring makes a difference as far as accuracy is concerned?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:03:31 AM EDT
[#10]
The O-ring makes no noticeable difference to me in accuracy -
I can do 1.5 2 inch groups at 21 feet with or without the O-ring.

The target trigger will cost about $125 - ish to get (parts-not installed)
The Hk Target sights another $100 or so (not installed)

I like the way the Expert's sights are recessed into the slide - the regular USP/Tactical does not have this.

I like the Expert rather than the regular simply for that fact that it came the way I already wanted it. (Trigger - Sights) and the balance of the gun - ..
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:42:13 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The O-ring makes no noticeable difference to me in accuracy -
I can do 1.5 2 inch groups at 21 feet with or without the O-ring.

The target trigger will cost about $125 - ish to get (parts-not installed)
The Hk Target sights another $100 or so (not installed)

I like the way the Expert's sights are recessed into the slide - the regular USP/Tactical does not have this.

I like the Expert rather than the regular simply for that fact that it came the way I already wanted it. (Trigger - Sights) and the balance of the gun - ..

Yeah, i like it too, but I just called my local dealer and he's only got one expert version, but it's .40 which i'm not a big fan of, and it's 1300 bucks.

I could probably get the USP for 800, then get the trigger later. I might not even need the sights.

Well, i'm going to the shop tonight. we'll see how it goes! I'm so excited.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:54:44 PM EDT
[#12]
If you want expert, i would just spend the $ on that. If you try to buy the match trigger , different barrel for O ring and others, it will eventually cost you more.

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 9:38:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Ok, well it seems that the only expert I can find is in .40. How is the 40 compared to the 45 accuracy wise?
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 11:36:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Search the EE for a used USP45, you could probably find one at about $600 in very good shape, then get the match trigger installed.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 10:39:35 AM EDT
[#15]
In my opinion 40 is not as inherently accurate as a 45 - I dont know why - Just my experience.
Don't forget the USP was originally designed around the 40 - not a 9mm scaled out to a 40 like the GLOCK.
I enjoy shooting the 45 over the 40 as the recoil is smoother.

You could find a used USP in 45 for $550 - $600 rannge and add the trigger and sights when you can. It will save some money. I bought my USP Expert slightly used with the Hk goodies that come with it for $950.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 12:37:58 PM EDT
[#16]
If I were you, I'd take a look at the Tactical.  

Just as good as the expert in terms of features and accuracy, but has an extra bonus- threaded barrel.

Regardless of what you choose, get one of the higher end USP models.  The trigger is worth it alone.

In terms of .40 vs .45, I like .45 more simply because  the recoil is less snappy.

In terms of comparing my USP .40 to my USP .45 Tactical, I enjoy shooting the Tactical more.  

The .40 cal is VERY accurate.  As much so as the .45, but people find it a bit harder to shoot comfortably.  A plus is that USP .40 magazines are quite cheap.

However, I still believe you should look at the USP .45 Tactical.  Shoot one, or even just handle it, then make your final decision.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:51:20 PM EDT
[#17]
I live in california and they don't allow threaded barrels here. So that sorta limits me to either the elite or the expert.

I found an expert in 45 today and they wanted 1700 goddamn dollars for it. Completely absurd.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:39:13 PM EDT
[#18]
I say get the Expert.  Not only because it's discontinued, but because at the end of this year HK will need to re register it to keep it on the list (which they probably won't).  If that happens then the only way you're gonna be able to purchase one is through PPT.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:37:09 AM EDT
[#19]

I found an expert in 45 today and they wanted 1700 goddamn dollars for it. Completely absurd.

HOLY SH*T !!!! That's insane. Tell the dealer he needs to stop smoking crack....

I shot mine this weekend and I always seem to forget how nice it shoots. I wish I could carry it as a duty weapon.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:46:05 AM EDT
[#20]
I swear I just saw a USP45 in the EE with a match trigger already installed for $650.  Look around, they're out there...
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:30:48 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm just sorta resigned to the fact that I'm probably going to have to just get a USP 45 fullsize and install a match trigger myself. But even that is turning out to be more difficult than I expected.

All the gun shops here in LA want at least 900 bucks +tax for a USP, which is a little much for me. So i've been looking for one on gunbroker and found a couple that I like, but something is always a bit wrong about it. I found a perfect one friday night that was being sold as NIB for 695. Only problem was that it came with 12 round mags instead of 10. I e-mailed the seller to see if he could swap out the 12 round mags for 10 round mags, or just leave the mags out entirely and lower the price a bit or something, but he never responded and the gun was bought by someone else.

there are a few others out there but they don't take credit cards. I guess I just gotta have some patience.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 12:31:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Booshankey

I found a USPf 45 on Gunsamerica.com  #976666857

No box but comes with 6 mags (2 10's and 4 12's)

for $650...

I'm not the seller but thought I would pass it on
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:46:39 PM EDT
[#23]
definitely look at gunsamerica and the ee.  if you were ever going to move from CA, you can get nonthreaded tactical barrels from ccf.
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top