Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Posted: 3/30/2006 6:42:16 PM EDT
well i am guesstimating that i have put about 5-6000 rounds through my HK.  I bought it used slightly used about 3 years ago.  At the most it saw about 1500 rounds from the previous owner.  After talking with some other gun owners, they recommend that i change my springs every 5000 rounds.

1. What do you guys think about round count? I havent had any problems thus far and i am pretty meticulous with cleaning my guns.  I am also planning on attending a gun course in late spring early summer.  I am planning on trying to hold off on the spring change till then because the round count will be around 2000 rounds for the course.

2. What is it going to cost me?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:12:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd probably replace when it doesn't do what it suppose to do.

2. What is it going to cost me?

I got mine FREE from HK.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:16:36 PM EDT
[#2]
hmmm is it part of the warranty?  I guess that would make sense, however i am the second owner.

The thing i dont like about the replace it when it doesnt work method is.... it is my carry gun.  And i want to make sure it works when i need it to work.  

Thanks  
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 9:20:36 PM EDT
[#3]
just tell them you need them springs. I faxed in my request. a week later I got a couple in the mail.
Again, FREE
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 2:44:54 AM EDT
[#4]
thanks ill try it...
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 1:08:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I put more than 100k through my HK before changing the recoil spring.  With the exception of the mag springs, I haven't changed any other springs.  Check out the FAQ on Wolff
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:21:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Two things you need to know about the HK.
It "ain't" your daddy's 1911
and it does not need it springs replaced until you start having a problem and the problem does not just pop up with no warning.  You will have plenty of time to make any changes.  First sign for mag spring problems is failure to lock back when empty.  On the recoil spring the first thing you may notice is a failure to go into battery completely and while that could be bad in a L&D shooting, it more than likely is going to happen when you are practicing and the gun is very dirty.  And if you are not practicing that much then your spring is never going to wear out.  They don't go bad just sitting there and even a weak spring will work OK so long as the gun is clean.  That is why I say you will find the problem when practicing.  Your pistol will have been shot 50-100 times and than all of a sudden it will not go all the way into battery.  Clean it and it works, then after a little more shooting it will happen again.  THEN replace the recoil spring but it is not going to "just fail you" when your pistol is clean and you need it most.
My most fired HK is the Compact I carry. 11,000 rounds and counting and I have not needed to replace anything in it.
If and when the time comes to replace a spring then Wolff Gun Springs are the best there is.
Cost for springs is about $5-10 and you will gain nothing by sticking with HK springs.  You can if you want but if and when I have a spring failure I will go with Wolff.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:38:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the info Big Bore!
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:13:00 PM EDT
[#8]
yea definitely thanks for the info.  What about other springs besided the recoil rod and spring?  Trigger spring and such.  Generally when you take your gun to a shop or send it out to get the springs changed, how many springs do they change?

Thanks for the info so far.

brian
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:21:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 1:19:54 PM EDT
[#10]
I had my first malfunction of any kind at around 30K.  It was FTF.  I replaced the spring with a 14lb Wolff spring and it is back to normal.

I shot alot of +P and hot loaded reloads.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:22:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the replies.  I guess i will wait and see how it functions through the summer.  I am in the market to purchase a p2000sk, so probably once i purchase that, I will send the hk uspc out for new springs or maybe attempt to do it myself since it seems like it might be difficult to access the spring in the mag well.

brian
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top