Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Posted: 3/4/2006 12:57:07 PM EDT
I want to start by saying that I'm not trying to bash HK, they are fine firearms.  However, in IPSC and IDPA you rarely see them being used?  I know some people look down on gun games but shooting fast and accurately is plenty important in real life too.  I would think price could have something to do with it but a lot of folks I see shooting in IPSC or IDPA have muliple guns as it is.  It seems like HK would fit in well for any of the IDPA divisions or IPSC production but you rarely see them being used.

So, why isn't HK more popular with competition shooters?

Thanks for any input.

Rockclimbg
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 1:05:22 PM EDT
[#1]
For the non-superstars, Glocks and 1911s  seem to have the cheapest parts/mag availabilities.

But aside from that, I've shot my USP (although I haven't seen others), XD's, and a S&W police duty pistol (forget the model).

I know lots of people swear by Glocks, but I like H&K. I shoot what I would intend to shoot.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 1:39:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Cost has nothing to do with it.

The muzzle flip is too much of a handicap. While extremely reliable, HK pistols are difficult to shoot as fast as Glocks and 1911s. Can it be overcome? Sure, but for the less dedicated shooters, the speed difference is akin to walking and running.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:44:28 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Cost has nothing to do with it.

The muzzle flip is too much of a handicap. While extremely reliable, HK pistols are difficult to shoot as fast as Glocks and 1911s. Can it be overcome? Sure, but for the less dedicated shooters, the speed difference is akin to walking and running.

Vinh, do you shoot an HK?  How long did it take you to get past the "handicap"?

Also, do any top competitive shooters use HK?

Thanks for the input

Rockclimbg
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:38:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I used a USP 9mm FS for a year in IPSC production.  It takes some getting used to as any gun does. I only used the HK because it was what i had in 9mm.  I would not recomend to buy one to use in IPSC. Buy the gun because you want the gun.

I pulled out the factory hammer spring and put a 10 pound wolf in. Only problems wil;l be with miltary primers. I had 3 light primer strikes in 2,000 rounds of fed 124 grain mil issue ammo.

outside of production the HK dosent not stand a chance. no parts out there to make the HK competive.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 10:49:34 PM EDT
[#5]
just remember, for combat purposes, don't bring your target gun.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:00:33 AM EDT
[#6]
A Glock would have no problems as a combat gun.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:48:34 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
just remember, for combat purposes, don't bring your target gun.

I'm not talking about the custom gun classes (limited, opened) or dedicated target guns, I'm talking about shooting fast and accurately which is relevant in competition but more so combat.  1911's, glocks, Hk's, Sigs, etc have all pretty much proven themselves as good reliable service grade guns.  It seems like HK's would have a lot of advantages for competition but you just don't see them being used.

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:58:15 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Vinh, do you shoot an HK?  How long did it take you to get past the "handicap"?

Also, do any top competitive shooters use HK?

Thanks for the input

Rockclimbg

I shoot the USP .45. I dedicated myself to the weapon for six months. The muzzle flip doesn't bother me as much, but I still can't shoot it as fast as a 1911. I've pretty much stopped trying.

I think the only famous shooter that used an HK was Bruce Gray.

For more information about competing with a USP, I strongly recommend that you contact the member Scooter on the HKPro forum.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 2:49:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Some used the wonderful HK P9S Sport/Target in the 1980's

You would think that some shooters would like the USP Match, Expert, or Elite for IPSC
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 2:58:10 PM EDT
[#10]
I can shoot my H/K on target faster than I can my glock.

Part of that is because the H&K points right for me, so I can acquire a sight picture more quickly with it.  I also personally don't think the H&Ks recoil that badly, at least the ones chambered in .40.

But, maybe I'm just a bad shooter
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:56:54 PM EDT
[#11]
There is only one reason that HKs aren't used more in IPSC...

The shitty factory trigger pull...
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:23:32 PM EDT
[#12]
I can shoot my HK faster and more accurately than my 1911. It and the Glock are about even.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:49:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Excuse me for my ignorance, but is C&L not allowed in IPSC?

Quoted:
There is only one reason that HKs aren't used more in IPSC...

The shitty factory trigger pull...

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:48:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Single Action is not allowed in Production division which is where HK's would best fit in.

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:36:00 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Single Action is not allowed in Production division which is where HK's would best fit in.

To clarify, he means single action draw C&L...

Once you draw from DA, SA is fine...
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:33:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Sooo, you have to do DA/SA and absolutely no Cocked and Locked with SA only...

I think my USPc will stay clear from IPSC...
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 1:15:40 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Sooo, you have to do DA/SA and absolutely no Cocked and Locked with SA only...

I think my USPc will stay clear from IPSC...

You can shoot it from cocked and locked, just not in Production Division.  Limited, limited 10, and Open Divisions all welcome single action trigger pulls.

You could also check out IDPA and shoot your USPc in any division over there depending on if whether or not you want to start DA/SA or SA only.

It will be interesting to see if HK and Sig gain a following in IPSC or IDPA with their new LEM and DAK triggers.  For two gun companies that pride themselves on being top end, high perforance guns, you would think HK and Sig would have more of a presence in the shooting sports.

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:09:31 PM EDT
[#18]
I was able to fire (from the draw) 6 shots at 21 ft all in the A-zone in 4.92 seconds. First place.

USP .45F SS
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 10:05:23 AM EDT
[#19]
I've shot my USPc .40 LEM in our clubs IDPA "style" matches.  (We use IDPA rules, they just are not sanctioned matches).

I've been able to place in the top half all the time, and in the top third twice with this gun.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 10:25:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Why aren't H&K's used in more competitions?

In my case, mag changes are WAY slower.  

I just don't like the mag release.

Once again:

HK, please make a single stack, .45 cal, conventional mag release USP.

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 10:29:52 AM EDT
[#21]
I've seen a lot of USP in .40 used in 3Gun
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top