Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2006 8:29:28 AM EDT
Why would/wouldn't you buy one?  I just put money down on one so I'll pick it up after spring break.  After looking for a while I decided on a P7 because it would make a excellent choice for range shooting, as well as carry.  Other than the price, why wouldn't you get one?
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:43:22 AM EDT
[#1]
I got to shoot one for the first time just awhile back. It was alright, but I have to say it's definately one of the top entries on my "most over rated" list.

They do have excellent craftsmanship, and they are unique. Most posts I've seen about it made it out to be a wonder pistol, so I was a little dissappointed due to high expectations. I think fair pricing would be in the $800-$900 range.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:01:16 AM EDT
[#2]
I have several and find them a very interesting pistol and collection piece, but my love for them ends there.  IMHO overly complicated (a gas retarded blow back system, come on, for a 9mm?) and as interesting as they are they are still a 9mm, and I have no love for the 9mm at all.  The M10 is better but the lawyers won out over the engineers and they made the thing too top heavy and cumbersom looking, hence its short life.  The M7 is something I could really get in to, if only more than 6 existed.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 10:17:49 AM EDT
[#3]
I got a NIB P7M8 for a price I couldn't refuse.  I really like it, but seldon carry or even shoot it.  When I do I enjoy it, but I view it more as a curiosity than a working gun.

I think about selling it once in a while, but then never do.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 12:51:38 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

IMHO overly complicated (a gas retarded blow back system, come on, for a 9mm?)

C'mon, what do you expect from the Krauts, sir?????????  
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 12:54:19 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Why would/wouldn't you buy one?  

Mine shoots so well, I could enter it in a bulls-eye match, IMO.

Is it the best gun ever designed? Probably not.

Is it perfect for CCW? Probably not.

Does it overheat a bit too quickly? Probably.

Is it too expensive? Probably.

Am I glad I bought it & will always keep it? You're damn skippy!!!!    
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 2:49:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Bob;
 The first time I was taking a close look at the P7's function I could not figure out for the life of me how the damned thing worked.  The gas piston was backwards and there was no way this could be a gas operated pistol.  I was totally stumped and everything I looked at said the whole gas system was bass-akwards and could not possibly function as designed as a gas operated pistol.  
Then after a little more reading it sunk in.  It was not gas operated but gas retarded.  Then it made since.  I swear that had me wondering what connections in the old brain were not hooked up correctly.  Leave it to the Germans to use a gas system totally backwards from what us Yanks use.  
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:24:59 PM EDT
[#7]
I can't imagine anyone not liking the P7.

It shoots very accurately, recoil is easily managed, and you can't complain about the quality of construction (which is why it's being discontinued-too expensive to produce to compete with all the plastic guns out there).

I use my P7M8 for concealed carry in a Sparks VM-2 0r an Alessi IWB or Bodyguard shoulder holster.

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:18:23 PM EDT
[#8]
I bought one (p7m8) without trying one first and honestly it just isn't for me. The trigger reset happens once the trigger is almost fully released, which is an annoyance for me. The size is close to the Glock 19, but with half the capacity as a 19. The gas system heats the gun up too fast and makes recoil a bit snappy for a 9mm. Depressing the cocking lever caused my grip to shift slightly and made me much less accurate, if I didn't release my grip to resituate it once the gun was cocked.

Only things I really liked were the low bore axis and grip angle. Otherwise, I found it to be the worst 1000 I've spent.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:58:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Would I have been better going with a USP-T .45?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:14:27 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Would I have been better going with a USP-T .45?

Better in using it for.......................???????????
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:21:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Range time/selfe defense in the home.  Eventually for CCW.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 1:25:13 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Range time/selfe defense in the home.  Eventually for CCW.

Well, a .45 is generally considered to be better over the 9mm for defense. OTOH, a Tactical is not the easiest gun to conceal. 9mm ammo is generally $2-3 a box cheaper.

In arfcom tradition, let's say: get both!  
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:29:37 PM EDT
[#13]
I always wanted one because of the coolness factor: no other operating system like it. As soon as I get mine outfitted with tritium sights, and a couple more mags, it'll be ready for personal defense duty.

Am I put off by the fact that it "only" has 8+1 rounds of 9mm? A little. But my "go-to" pistol is a 1911 with the same capacity.... every shot counts.

I got me a Polizei trade in with the mill mark.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:28:44 AM EDT
[#14]
I love it for CCW, fits so nice and since I am limited to 10 rounds I don't care about the 8 round magazine if it makes it fit well enough to actually be on me when I need it.  Plus it's easy to point aim, which in all reality, is the only aiming  you will do in a CCW defensive shoot. h.gif
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 12:09:29 PM EDT
[#15]
I bought a P7 PSP from SOG for around $800 and love it. I first didn't like the magazine heel release but once I got used to it, I now prefer it over the USP magazine release.

And I love the accuracy.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:39:52 AM EDT
[#16]
I find the P7 to be perfect for concealed carry.  The short barrel makes it compact, the slimness make it easy to conceal.  The grip safety/squeeze cocking feature is what really sets it apart from other pistols.  Much more intuitive than a thumb safety, especially in a ambush situation which face it, will probably be what happens to us since we are civilians who don't go looking for trouble.  It is also safer if you have kids in the house.  My 7yr old could not hurt himself or anyone else with this pistol.  Yeah I keep it locked up or on my hip but brain farts happen.  He might find it when I am in the shower or something.  I have 1911s and Glocks but I carry my P7 day in and day out.  I have also found them to be very reliable right out of the box.  All you need with a P7 are night sites.  With a 1911 you need to send it to a good gunsmith.  Anyway my .02 YMMV...
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 2:10:50 PM EDT
[#17]
My M8 is awesome. I bought it to carry and it fullfills my expectations. Slim, single action trigger /w an awesome safety device (cocker) that allows me to carry one in the chamber w/o out a second thought. As with my other HKs, it works. You put ammo in it and it goes pow every time, all the time. Great accuracy with the fixed barrel.

Now on to other pluses: this pistol will hold it's value more than most other quality firearms. It's HK built. The "expensive" cost is relative when you take into consideration how well it will function, and how it will retains its value, especially when not in production any longer. Can anyone say "appreciation".

Although I always lock up my firearms, with 3 "little ones" around the house the added safety of the cocker and the ability to remove the firing pin/bushing with a twist of the finger makes it practical in a family environment.

It does get hot and I always take a second gun to the range when practicing /w it so I can give it a rest.  It is a little heavier when compared to plastic and aluminum frame pistols, but I like the solid feel.

It's my EDC and I love it...it also loves me.
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top