Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Posted: 3/3/2006 10:48:37 AM EDT
My delima is this.

I have a USP .45 (not tactical). I also have a Springfield 1911 TRP.

I'm nopt exactly sure what the problem is, weather the trigger pull on my USP just sucks or what. I take the 2 of them to the range, and I'll put about 5 mags (10 rounders)through the USP, then I'll pick up the TRP and finish off the other 250 rounds.

The hell of it is, I love balance and feel of the USP, but the damn thing just wont shoot right. It isnt nearly as accurate as the TRP, and end up just getting frustrated with it.

My question is this, would it be worth it to get the match trigger put in it, or is the difference in the regular trigger and the match trigger not that noticeable? From what I gather (please correct me if I'm wrong), the difference in the tactical is the fact it says tactical on the side, a match trigger, a threaded barrel, and the click adjustable sights. Would the addition of the slightly longer barrel and the trigger do the job and bring this fine pistol up to the standards I expect of a firearm I may (hopefully not) have to stake mine or my families life on?

Thank you in advance for all replies.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:04:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 11:52:24 AM EDT
[#2]
@ikor or anyone with a USPf w/ LEM

How do you like the LEM on the fullsize compared to the v1 trigger.  I am considering a purchase of one and wanted to know how you feel about it.  They are going for 599 on CDNN's site and the muzzle flip on my USPc .40 v1 is pissing me off.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 12:49:24 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

They simply do not shoot the same,

Sums it up, IMO.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:05:25 PM EDT
[#4]
TO me its the sights... The front sight post is too wide for accurate shooting.  I am tempted to mill my front sights width.  If I bench rest my USP45 and a Sig 2022... my USP is AS accurate maybe more who knows...  But I can shoot a Sig 2022 EAAASIER accurately.  I just wish they offered a narrower front sight.  Single action trigger is fine.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:51:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 10:03:05 AM EDT
[#6]
I've tried the LEM on several H/Ks.  I can't stand it.  More power to those who love it.  I really wish I could have loved it, but I can't.

I prefer H/Ks cocked and locked, with the match trigger where possible.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 10:52:03 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
My delima is this.

I have a USP .45 (not tactical). I also have a Springfield 1911 TRP.

I'm nopt exactly sure what the problem is, weather the trigger pull on my USP just sucks or what. I take the 2 of them to the range, and I'll put about 5 mags (10 rounders)through the USP, then I'll pick up the TRP and finish off the other 250 rounds.

The hell of it is, I love balance and feel of the USP, but the damn thing just wont shoot right. It isnt nearly as accurate as the TRP, and end up just getting frustrated with it.

My question is this, would it be worth it to get the match trigger put in it, or is the difference in the regular trigger and the match trigger not that noticeable? From what I gather (please correct me if I'm wrong), the difference in the tactical is the fact it says tactical on the side, a match trigger, a threaded barrel, and the click adjustable sights. Would the addition of the slightly longer barrel and the trigger do the job and bring this fine pistol up to the standards I expect of a firearm I may (hopefully not) have to stake mine or my families life on?

Thank you in advance for all replies.

Get the match trigger. If you ever get the chance to fire a USP with one (such as the tactical, my favorite ) You will love it. it is also user adjustable.

Nathan
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 1:45:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Get the match trigger. I like it better than my kimber trigger.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 1:00:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the inputs folks. It does help to get an idea of what everyone else thinks, but I'm still not sure which way to go. I did stop by a local shop the other day and they allowed me to dry fire one of their tacticals and it was measuralby (sp) better. I have the USP armorers manual, so is this something that I could do realitivly easy if thats the way I want to go?

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:11:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Perhaps sell it and put the money towards and upgrade to the USP Tactical.  Most always people have trouble with accuracy with USPs because they are pulling the trigger too sloppy.

A light trigger pull will allow for slop.  I personally think if you dry fired it some and got to learn your USP trigger you'd get used to it and probably enhance your marksmanship as well.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 1:43:12 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Perhaps sell it and put the money towards and upgrade to the USP Tactical.  Most always people have trouble with accuracy with USPs because they are pulling the trigger too sloppy.

A light trigger pull will allow for slop.  I personally think if you dry fired it some and got to learn your USP trigger you'd get used to it and probably enhance your marksmanship as well.

That's what I'd do.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:21:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks again for the input guys. Any and all suggestions will be seriously considered. I'll be sure to let you all know what I decide to do. Thanks again.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 2:51:42 AM EDT
[#13]
I'd say rent a USP tactical before you go so far as to sell your USP and buy one. I owned a 1911 milspec for 2 years before buying a Tactical and shooting it this weekend. I was very pleased with it and shot it well for my first time. I haven't shot a regular USP for comparison though.

While the match trigger may make a difference, a DA/SA pistol is always likely to have a longer travel distance than a 1911. This difference can definately be overcome with some practice. As others have suggested, you should just make the occassional range trip where you just shoot the USP exclusively. You are probably so hard wired to the travel distance of the 1911, that you pull your USP trigger that far, get surprised the gun hasn't fired yet, and perhaps jerk it a bit the rest of the distance.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 1:31:31 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's what I'd do.

+2
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:21:11 AM EDT
[#15]
I agree with Creeper1313 on this one.  I shoot super tight groups with my Kimber TLE/RL but as soon as I get my fullsize USP 45 in my hand it's off to the top left.  It also might be a fullsize thing because I shoot dead on with my USPc 9mm.

Quoted:
I'd say rent a USP tactical before you go so far as to sell your USP and buy one. I owned a 1911 milspec for 2 years before buying a Tactical and shooting it this weekend. I was very pleased with it and shot it well for my first time. I haven't shot a regular USP for comparison though.

While the match trigger may make a difference, a DA/SA pistol is always likely to have a longer travel distance than a 1911. This difference can definately be overcome with some practice. As others have suggested, you should just make the occassional range trip where you just shoot the USP exclusively. You are probably so hard wired to the travel distance of the 1911, that you pull your USP trigger that far, get surprised the gun hasn't fired yet, and perhaps jerk it a bit the rest of the distance.

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:12:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Well I attended a class today put on by Todd Jarrett. He did it for our police department Tac team. I had him shoot my USP45 from 25 yrd line. He shot 10 rounds and said it was a ' 1" gun'. He stated if he got prone and had a bag he could shoot 1" groups all day with it. He did notice that it shot about 3" high from 25 yrds. and he stated the trigger had alot of slop / spongieness.  Anyways, I was happy to hear my gun was a 1" caliber shooter. Now I have to get it to do it!!! He also stated the HK is one of the straighest shooting guns around! Nice to hear from a 'Para' paid shooter. As stated earlier in post, this is a WAR GUN not a target gun! Todd also mentioned changing out the recoil spring to a lighter one (that was for all guns). It would help with the recoil and getting back on target sooner.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:29:50 AM EDT
[#17]
I have had a USPf in .45 for about 12 years now and I am still not used to the crappy trigger. Having said that, it shoots the tightest groups of any gun I have ever owned and I've never had a single malfunction. The front sight post could certainly be narrower, but it doesn't seem to affect my shooting. Andy
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:05:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Bought my USP 45 full size in 1997.

IT IS NOT MY FAVORITE GUN
I WILL NEVER SELL IT
THE TRIGGER SUCKS
I WILL NEVER SELL IT
IT IS TOO BIG FOR MY HAND
I WILL NEVER SELL IT....

Seriously though,  I replaced my sights with HK tactical sights from ebay for $60 or so.  They are great and if you blacken that big rear blade, it is an awesome sight for the range.  I hate the take up on the trigger blows but I can shoot baseball sized groups at 25' and it really is a bad ass gun but not meant to shoot like a tuned 1911.  My friend just got a Sig GSR and crap just about any shooter can knock the 10x ring out of paper with that thing.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:36:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Sentinel -  would love to hear how this turns out for you, I am having some similiar issues.

You guys talk about pulling to the left?  Can I ask why this is?  The reason I ask is I keep pulling to the right.  Then it occured to me that most of you are shooting right handed most likely, and I shoot left handed, and if I have the same problem then it's only natural that I would pull in opposite direction.  

I took my USP  .45 to the range first time this weekend, was so upset I could have cried!  Was all over the target at 7yards, pulling to the right almost exclusively.    Got mad, pulled out my XD in .40 and cored out the middle bullseye and first ring with two clips.  Then I was really pissed with the USP.

And I am not blaming the gun, no doubt in my mind that is to do with the trigger pull and the operator's dumb ass as the XD and USP triggers have a much different feel.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:41:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Cav,
You've got to get more trigger time with the USP!  Like others have said the differences between a SA 1911 and the DA/SA of the USP are too great to transition between the two seamlessly without practice with both.

I shoot my fullsize USP 45 well, but I shoot my USPc in 40 better.  Why? When I grab a pistol for IDPA/ CDP class I go to an all steel 1911 for better recoil control and quicker follow-up.  Lately, I've been shooting the USPc .40 in these matches because that's my CCW.

My split times are nearly the same ( within .15 to .2) between the 1911 and USPc (slightly slower) because of increased practice.

Both USPs are V1 as I prefer to carry cocked and locked.  This way it is only natural that my first action (after clearing the holster) is to swipe the safety off for all three types of pistols.  Practice breeds familiarity.

As to the LEM trigger...I've shot one after one of our matches and didn't care for it all.  That being said, I don't care for Para's LDA either.  They don't feel right, and it doesn't look right (to me) when the travel of the trigger doesn't result in a commensurate movement of the hammer.  

In regards to accuracy...both USPs are more accurate than I am.  Not to mention, MUCH easier to clean (polygonal rifling requires two passes with a brush, two with a patch for a sparkling bore; the same can't be said for traditional rifling).

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:48:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Thanks Rob.  Actually in my previous post I typed the wrong thing.  There's not doubt in my mind that the problems with the USP is DUE to the operator, I mean to say I am not blaming the weapon, it's an operator problem.

I just need to go to range and spend the time getting it down.  I will get there I guess.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:34:38 AM EDT
[#22]

You really can't compare a single-action trigger from a 1911 to a double-action trigger on the USP.  Yeah, you can go cock-lock with the USP... but the trigger's not as smooth compare to a 1911... especially that of the TRP.

The USP, like almost all other guns... takes time to get used to.  If you don't shoot it a lot, you don't get the feel of the trigger.  That's why I rarely take more than one pistol to the range... I dislike jumping between two different type of pistol for that very reason.

~nb
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:58:06 AM EDT
[#23]
I am going to ask this with a deep fear of being laughed at............

Anybody ever use Snap Caps to practice at home?
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 10:06:38 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I am going to ask this with a deep fear of being laughed at............

Anybody ever use Snap Caps to practice at home?

actually, dry-firing, while no replacement for range time, is great trigger press practice.

You'd be hard-pressed to find a gun enthusiast (read: nut) who doesn't sit at home and "shoot" the bad guys on the t.v.

Just make sure the damn thing isn't loaded!  Check once and then check it again.  

Snap caps are great and certainly won't hurt anything.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 4:59:16 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

You'd be hard-pressed to find a gun enthusiast (read: nut) who doesn't sit at home and "shoot" the bad guys on the t.v.

Just make sure the damn thing isn't loaded!  Check once and then check it again.  

Boy, you take all the fun out of dry firing!!!!!    
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:58:08 AM EDT
[#26]
My USP 9mm has a great SA break - I think it varies from model to model.
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top