Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Posted: 3/1/2006 2:14:22 AM EDT
I've been looking around lately for my first pistol. While searching i applied for my CPL and have since recieved it. I've looked at Kimber, Glock and now H&K. Out of those three completely different guns, i've really liked the Kimber and H&K. I know that you can't really compare the two. I've gotten a chance to handle the P2000 and P2000SK and both feel really comfortable. I was told that the SK would be a better choice as a carry. On the P2000 my hand fills the grip perfect, on the SK my pinky is left below the magazine.

My questions are:

Would you recommend an H&K to someone that is new to pistols?
Is it common on a compact to not completely fill the grip with your whole hand?
Is the P2000/SK a big difference compared to the USP?
As a carry, what would you suggest?
I know that people will say that 9mm is cheaper than .45, but i've been leaning towards .45 and was a little disappointed that the P2000 isn't offered in .45. Without starting a flame war as my first pistol would you suggest going with a 9mm or going with .40 SW as a compromise or just going with the USP .45?

I have read through most of the handgun discussion and H&K thread....but didnt really see information that would answer these questions. Thank you very much for those who take the time to post and help me out
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:14:37 AM EDT
[#1]
It's hard to answer all these questions, because a lot of them are specific to the individual.

For example, where on your person are you going to carry?  That will affect how big of a gun you can carry.  Lots of folks carry full size autos IWB.  I personally carry a USP Compact .40 IWB.  I also don't buy into the theory that .45 is significantly better than .40 when you're talking about shooting JHPs.  If you're talking about carrying IWB, I think you can easily carry any of the guns you've mentioned.

Have you had the opportunity to shoot the guns you're considering carrying?  You can hopefully find a range that lets you rent pistols and try some out.  The most important factor when determining gun maker, model, and caliber is your ability to shoot the gun you decide on.  Everybody's hands are different, and everybody perceives recoil a little differently.

Are you looking at the LEM or DA/SA variants of the P2K and P2KSK?  I suggest you  try the LEM before you buy it; it's a love / hate thing.  I hated it and sold my P2k.

You're considering a Kimber, but many folks new to pistols are hesitant about cocked and locked carry.  Be sure you're OK with that.  There's nothing wrong with it, but it tends to intimidate some new shooters, even though they're OK with the glock for some reason.  I carry my USP Compact cocked and locked and it doesn't bother me one bit.

Finally, since this is your first pistol, I strongly urge you to get proficient with it before you start to carry it.  You need to know that you can use it adequately to defend yourself, that you can handle it safely, and that you won't send bullets towards innocent bystanders in the event you have to use it.

Oh, and save yourself some money -- get Milt Sparks holsters for IWB carry.  I recommend the Sparks VM-2.  You can get it from lightning arms, based in beaverton, OR.  Or you can call sparks and get on the waiting list.
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top