Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2006 7:47:33 AM EDT
Local shop has a P7 PSP for $925.  It's used but in excellent shape and has no finish wear at all.  I handled it and really liked it, but I've also been wanting a USP-Tactical .45.  I haven't had the chance to handle or shoot a USP-T.  I think the PSP would be perfect for all around shooting and concealed carry.  I've also heard that the P7's are accurate (any confirmation on that?).  What would be the best thing to do?  I can call tuesday and have him pull the P7 out of the case and put it on layaway next weekend.  Is it worth it??? ... or are there better firearms out there for the money?

ETA:  I believe it is the PSP anyhow.  It was only marked P7, but it has the "heel" mag release on the bottom of the grip.  I'll try to get a better look at it this next weekend and put money down if I like it.  On another note, the trigger pull was very smooth (at least I thought so)!!!
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 11:22:11 AM EDT
[#1]
If the PSP truly has no finish wear, then that price is fair. CDNN is selling excellent condition ones for $899.  Yes, they are extremely accurate, with fast repeat shots due to the low bore axis.  It feels like firing something pneumatically operated.  The PSP is certain to go up in value, whereas the USP is just another plastic gun.  You could always buy the PSP and sell it if you don't like it, whereas you would lose your shirt if you did the same with a new USP.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:22:35 PM EDT
[#2]
get the PSP.  you could always save up again for a USP, they won't be going anywhere.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:34:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I think I'll go with the PSP.  Anyone carry one?  How well does it conceal?  Holsters?  It will be a few months until I pick one up so if he still has it I'll get that one...if not I'll check CDNN and private sellers...
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:13:02 AM EDT
[#4]
If you are planning on shopping around a bit, I would look for a P7M8 over the PSP.  They are both awesome carry guns and mostly identical, but the P7M8 has a regular US-style mag release (if you prefer) and also has the heat guard that prevents you from burning your trigger finger on the bottom of the gas piston.  That PSP at your local shop may be the best deal you find, since you won't have to pay additional transfer fees, and you can inspect before buying.  Mags are expensive to find for either.  Try shooting one before buying.  They feel incredible.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:12:54 AM EDT
[#5]
I forgot to mention that the PSP at my local shop comes with 4 mags and he claims it comes with everything from the factory...test target, manual and such.  I didn't see it but I assume he's not lying.  Do I have to worry about the lack of a heat shield on the psp?  How many rnds would it take before it would be unshootable because of the heat?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:32:39 PM EDT
[#6]
That depends entirely on how fast you shoot it.  If you fired all four mags in less than a minute, the frame would be uncomfortably hot around the trigger.  It is not a big deal, since if you ever had to fire that fast, you wouldn't care.  The extra mags are worth about $50 a piece, so that sounds like a very good deal.  Go for it.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:13:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Good deal then.  I called today and he's putting it aside.  I told him CDNN has them and he said he'd do $900 for everything.  I'm going down this weekend to put $100 down on it and I'll pay it off over 2 months.  I'll post pics in May when I pick it up!
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:10:36 PM EDT
[#8]
 You're going to love it.  Good choice.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:02:49 PM EDT
[#9]
The P7 you are looking at is a P7, not a PSP (although they are commonly and mistakenly referred to as such).  If it were a true PSP it would say so on the slide; and it would cost 3 times as much. The differences are small between a P7 and a P7 PSP but there are differences.  See this site.  The PSP would have the heel release that sticks out slightly whereas the P7 the heel release is more flush and less prone to accidental release.  The grips are slightly different also, extending lower from the bottom edge of the frame on the P7.

As to getting the P7 or the Tac, a Tac is not a CCW and doing so could land you in a world of trouble if you ever had to use it.  Talk to any lawyer about it and they will mostly tell you that the threaded barrel makes the weapon "look" to be an attack weapon instead of a defensive weapon.  Why were you carrying a gun made specifically to take a suppressor, where you out "hunting?"  The Tac is a prosecutor's wet dream.  For carry ditch the threaded barrel and go with either an USP, USPC, or the P7.
The P7 is accurate and they are very low in recoil, but they are heavy and do not have much capacity, and the M13 feels pregnant.  As much as I love HKs, I like the P7 series only for their uniqueness.  Other than that I couldn't care less if I ever hold one again let alone shoot one.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:25:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Well I did it.  Big_bore you're right...it is a P7...not a PSP.  I did a close inspection of it today when I went to put the money down.  $900 for a like new P7 (no finish wear and barely noticible marks on the squeeze cocker) with 4 - 8rnd mags and a test target/pistol case.  I really do like the heel mag release as opposed to the ambi on the P7M8's.  Lol...I priced a new P7M8 from Jerry's through my dealer and they only had one left at a cost of $1280 to me.  The "used" P7 has features I desire so I can't see spending the extra money on the M8.  Should make a great carry gun sans the weight...which isn't too bad.  Its a shame they discontinued them...but at almost $1300 I can see why they probably didn't sell many...  I should have took the camera to take pics but you guys know what they look like....
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top