Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Posted: 11/10/2002 8:05:01 PM EDT
Hi,

I have finally scraped the money together to buy myself a handgun for both sport and practical defense, and have narrowed it down to the HK USP 9mm and the USP .40.  I very much prefer the feel, weight, and kick of the .40, but as I am a woman, I have found the grip to be far too big for my hand.  Does anyone here know if it is possible to modify the grip?  I have been told by someone at a gun shop that it is not possible, and someone has told me that it is.  I would certainly appreciate some kind of consensus on this.

I would regret having to pass up the .40 for the 9mm, which I like less, just because of a grip that is too big.  Thank you in advance for all your help.

Link Posted: 11/10/2002 8:11:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a USP 40 and the lower frame is all one molded piece.  I see no way that you could modify it.
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 8:18:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I agree that the USP, while excellent ergonomically as far as the safety and mag release, slide release, etc., the grip makes length of pull on the trigger hard for people with small hands and short fingers.  

You might want to try that company that works with the Glock grip.  Now if only I could remember the company name!
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 8:19:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I think it's the S&W/Walthers that have a modifiable grip.  The HK's are one piece construction.

I would suggest getting something in the caliber you want. Also get something that is comfortable for you to use.  Do not compromise when choosing for your safety.

confide in us what you desire, and we can probably point you towards several for you to look at.

Link Posted: 11/10/2002 10:53:13 PM EDT
[#4]
    I am a lefty looking for a handgun that will fulfill both my desire for sport shooting as well as a practical weapon for self-defense.  I live in CA, so my first concern is not concealed carry, it's more something I can use in my home, although I have been looking at the HK USP9 compact for my car.  I am 24 and have been an avid trap shooter since I was 15, I
I'm not afraid of recoil, and in fact I rather enjoy it..:-)  

I prefer 9mm and .40 calibers
I have personally tried out:
 HK USP .40
 HK USP9 compact
 Sig P226
 Beretta 92
 SW .38 special
 SW .357 Magnum

I dislike the revolvers, I find much more enjoyment as well as control from the semi-autos.  I did't like the Beretta at all, it wasn't very lefty-friendly.  The Sig was OK, but I dislike the lack of an active safety on a weapon I will keep loaded in my car/home.  I surprisingly didn't like the HK USP9 compact as much as I thought I would, but would consider it as a backup and/or a good weapon for my car.  I haven't had the chance to try a full HK USP9, but I absolutely fell in love with the USP 40.  I am seriously considering just getting it and learning to work around the big grip, hoping that practice and training will help me get used to dealing with it, since I absolutely love it.

Hope this gives you some idea about who I am and what I am looking for.  I am relatively new to the field of handguns as the cost has prevented me from engaging before.  Thanks again for all your help.
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 2:45:27 AM EDT
[#5]
well, how about one of those springfield/walthers?  they have changable grips.  you really should have something that fits in your hand.

walther P99

these come in 9mm and .40s&w
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 5:13:16 AM EDT
[#6]
You have ruled out single action autos such as the 1911-style guns that are being made in 40 caliber? They fit a wide range of hand sizes very well and include a safety lever. Also, the S&W model 4013, which I do not believe is made any longer, was a single-column compact lightweight with a safety/decock lever. Still some around in excellent shape on the used market. I'm not a big fan of S&W autos, but these were pretty decent guns.

The frame of the USP is probably able to be modified very slightly, but IMO not worth the expense of the modification. I use the grip decals to add texture to the sides of my .45 USP's grip frame, which seems to help. There are any number of 'smiths who can stipple these frames to add texture and help your grip. Remember, you can carry the Variant #1 guns "cocked and locked", which reduces the trigger reach considerably.
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 9:44:16 AM EDT
[#7]
The full size USP40 and 9 have the same frame width/size. The compact versions are slightly narrower than the full size, but again the 9 and 40 compacts share the same frame.

If trigger pull is the problem then you are out of luck. If reaching the mag release is the problem, learn to use the trigger finger to release the mag.

Good luck.

Link Posted: 12/9/2002 2:28:19 PM EDT
[#8]
for the heck of it go to your local gun shop and pick up a colt officers model or a colt compact 1991a1. the compact i have is very accurate and 45acp is one of the finest rounds out there.
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 5:30:31 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a USP Stainless .40 (fullsize).  Yes, it is big.  In fact, its probobly a little big for my hands.  However, i love the gun.  Approximately 2300 rounds thru it and no jams.  Its a good gun.  I did replace the spring buffer assembly though.  The retainer was broke.  The gun never jammed though.  HK replaced the part at no charge.  Good service if you ask me.

For conceal carry, i use a Sig Sauer 228 (9mm).  I love this gun just as much.  Its a compact handgun.  I do shoot better with my HK though.
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 8:13:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Want something that's ambi and has an adjustable grip?  If possible, I'd wait a little bit and then run to my local dealer to check out a P2000 as soon as they come in!
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 9:29:19 PM EDT
[#11]
The grip can be modified. I believe it was Robar who was doing this a few years ago, specifically to Glocks. The biggest downside, of course, is price. How much money are you willing to spend to have it done?
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 10:26:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Couple of suggestions

1.  Go over to the handgun forums at www.hkpro.com and ask them too.  They are also reasonable people.  

2.  the idea about waiting for the P2000 is a good one, unless of course you want to get a pistol now.

3.  I am not familiar with the 9 and .40 S&W full size and compact versions of the USP, but the .45C grip is appreciably smaller than the .45 full size.  What I am saying, is that the Compact grip size of the 9 and 40 may also be smaller and therefore more suited to your handsize.

I bet you could find a range somewhere near you that rents HK items.  

Also, if you get a chance, try out a browning Hi-power.  When I got my first pistol, I was planning on Glock all the way, and I still think they're outstanding pistols.  But then I tried out the grip on the hi-power, and wound up very happy with Mssrs. Browning and Savie's masterwork.  It has a very comfy grip for medium to smaller hands, and you can always resort to superthin grips if necessary.  I do have an HK USP, and while very nice for many reasons, I still would never consider selling the hi-power.  

Best of luck and be safe

Link Posted: 12/12/2002 6:52:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Here's a picture of a grip reduction of a Glock on Robar's 'site.

Link Posted: 12/15/2002 3:03:05 PM EDT
[#14]
I too was faced with this problem since I have small hands.  I bought the USP40 Compact.  I don't know for fact if the grip is smaller, however I defiantly feel comfortable using it and appears to have fixed this problem for me.  As much as I like HK, my best advice is to make sure the gun you purchase fits YOUR hand. Especially for practical defense!
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 11:37:08 AM EDT
[#15]
By all means check out the Compacts.  The grip is considerably smaller than the full size USP, and you don't give up much in accuracy.  My compacts shoot almost as accurate as my Expert and Tactical and do not recoil much more.  All are .45 ACP.  My son also carries his Compact and neither of us are blessed whith what I consider large hands.  Definitely, check out the Compact series.
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top