Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2006 2:49:23 PM EDT
I read somewhere, probably here, that you can use 10 round .40 cal mags in the 9mm P2000 to get 13 rounds.  Does anyone here do this and how is the reliablity?  If you can use 10 round mags and get 13 9mm rounds....how many 9mm rounds can you get out of the 12 round .40 cal mags?

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 3:51:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Always tempting to try that, never quite works out.  The feed lips are a different spec. and the presentation of the round will not be the same.  You can try bending in the feed lips a bit, but it is still unreliable.  Might be ok on a range mag, but don't bet your life on one!

Celeritas,Impetus,Violentia
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:55:03 PM EDT
[#2]
9mm mags function fine in the 40....not the other way around.hinking.gif
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:18:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Got that backwards.  During the ban a lot of people use the 40 mag in the 9mm pistol to get extra rounds, +2 in the Compact and +3 in the full size.  Using the .40 mags in the 9mm is not a problem.  In the full size the 9mm round does fit rather loosely in the .40 mag but I never had any problems.  The 9mm fits real well in the .40 compact mag but I cannot say I have ever tried using the 9mm mag in the .40 pistol.  Nothing is to be gained by doing that.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:15:39 PM EDT
[#4]
So in a 10 round .40 mag you can expect to get 12 9mm rounds?  My main concern is not with a ban as high caps are legal in IA but the cost difference is rediculous.  I can get 10rd .40 mags for $15 vs $40 for high cap 9mm.

I just do not want to  sacrifice reliability for a couple of extra rounds per mag.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:13:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Take a .40 mag and load it up with 9mm. Then take a 9mm mag and load it with 9mm.  Look at them side by side and you will see what I mean, the wider .40 feed lips let the 9mm sit higher.  It works most of the, but is NOT reliable for self defense.

Celeritas, Impetus, Violentia
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:26:57 PM EDT
[#6]
i can only get 15 9mm rounds into a hi-cap .40 mag. YMMV
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:19:18 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The 9mm fits real well in the .40 compact mag but I cannot say I have ever tried using the 9mm mag in the .40 pistol.

Does it fit good enough that you would feel comfortable for CCW?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:51:37 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Does it fit good enough that you would feel comfortable for CCW?

I've shot them like that, I have a buddy who carries like that.

However, I'm far too paranoid to use it for CCW.  I figure you get enough shots out of the standard capacity mags, no need to try any monkey business like that IMO.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:04:50 AM EDT
[#9]
I picked up a 12 rd .40 cal compact mag for my 9mm. I can visually see no difference in round angle or feed lips when comparing loaded mags side by side. I did not try to mic them. First round chambered fine. The mag took 15 rounds. I haven't range tested it yet but if it works I will probably get more. Compact .40 mags are much easier to find than 9mm compact standard capacity mags.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:15:15 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I picked up a 12 rd .40 cal compact mag for my 9mm. I can visually see no difference in round angle or feed lips when comparing loaded mags side by side.

Is there any way you can post a pic of this?  I love my USPC and plan on buying some more mags some time soon.  I don't want to lay down $40 for something that doesn't work.

BTW does anyone know why H&K restricts the capacty down to 13 rounds in the 9mm compact?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:00:33 PM EDT
[#11]
I would also like to see a side by side comparison if someone could post pics.

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:01:02 PM EDT
[#12]
I took a few photos. This is in no way scientific. I will decide if I will continue to use .40 cal mags after I range test it.

9mm mag in front of .40 cal mag in first photo and on the right in the others:

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:20:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the pics!  It does look like the .40 mag does let the round sit slightly higher....but I had to look at the pictures for a long time before I could tell.  

Let us know what the range tests produce
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:05:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Those are Clinton mags that are the 9mm.  Tonight I'll take a pic of a 13 rnd mag and post it to see if there is a noticable difference between the 40 and 9 in that comparison.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 12:42:07 PM EDT
[#15]
I have used 40hkc 10 mags in my 9mm for some time now. they work just fine. my conclusion is that you can buy 40c mags or 357sig compact mags and use them all in a 9mm with no problem. wildwest
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:11:14 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Those are Clinton mags that are the 9mm.  Tonight I'll take a pic of a 13 rnd mag and post it to see if there is a noticable difference between the 40 and 9 in that comparison.

Yeah, I only had the 10 rd mags that came with the gun and bought the .40 mag because I couldn't find any 9mm standard capacity mags locally. I did end up finding some last weekend. I didn't take photos or shoot it yet but it is clear when you insert the mag into the gun that the round sits higher in the .40 mag. It chambers fine though. I will still test it and if all goes well mostly likely I will carry with the .40 mag. I'd rather have those three extra rounds and not need them... you know the rest.

Quoted:
BTW does anyone know why H&K restricts the capacty down to 13 rounds in the 9mm compact?

In comparing the mags I noticed that the body of the .40 mag is longer than the 9mm mag and the floorplate is thinner on the .40 mag to compensate for the body. The angle of the bottom is slightly different too. I have no idea if HK has a functional reason for that or if it just ended up that way.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:17:21 PM EDT
[#17]
what is the difference in spring tension?  has anyone compared the springs in each the 9mm and .40 mags to see if there is a noticable difference in spring size, thickness, and length?

btw, I have been buying up 9mm 13rnd compact LEO mags for about $20-30/ea and they are NIW

but I live in PA and not under state restrictions any longer...
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:54:57 PM EDT
[#18]
I tried out the .40 cal 12 round mag today. I only ran 3 mags worth but had zero problems. I myself will not be afraid to use them for CCW.

Three mags isn't all that many and it was all ball ammo but it was cold up there and reloading one mag over and over again is a pain.

ETA: I picked up a 10 rd .40 cal compact mag at the fun show yesterday. I can force a 13th round in it but I would definitely say it is a 12 round 9mm mag. I will stick with 12 round .40 cal mags for my 9mm compact.
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top