Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2006 2:45:08 PM EDT
I recently ordered a USP 9 off of CDNN and they claimed it was a Variant 1 model. However, im looking at the manual (I dont have the gun yet due to a waiting period) and it says,

"The HK USP Pistol received with this manual is fitted with a special Double-Action Only (DAO) Enhanced Trigger System (ETS)."

Does this mean the gun is DAO? What exactly is this ETS and how does it differ from a traditional USP? Does this gun not have the DA/SA with decocking as found on a Variant 1?

This is my first handgun so excuse me if my questions are stupid or if I am reading this wrong. I joined these forums to learn as much as possible so hopefully you guys can help me out. Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 3:08:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I have never heard it referred to as DAO ETS, but the "special" DAO trigger is called the LEM trigger (at least on my P2000 it is).  The LEM trigger is DAO, with no decocker. It has a "pre-cocked" hammer and an extremely light, consistently smooth double action trigger pull.  You get the ease of a single action trigger with the deliberate, long trigger pull of a double action.  I may be mistaken, but I don't think that LEM USPs come with a safety, if that is something that concerns you.

If you really wanted a V1, then you should get your money back or make sure that the pistol is a V1 before taking posession of it.

I think the LEM is slightly more expensive than the V1, so i find it hard to believe that they would advertise it as a V1 and then give you an LEM.

Each has its own advantages and disadvantages. I would use the LEM for CCW if my state weren't run by Communists, but the V1 SA/DA has its place as well.

My first pistol was a V1 USP 9MM, and I thoroughly enjoy it.

Welcome--you will find that the people here on this website are of immense help with any firearm-related question that you might have.

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 3:20:56 PM EDT
[#2]
What are the main advantages/disadvantages to the LEM versus a Variant 1 for a new shooter?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:09:23 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
What are the main advantages/disadvantages to the LEM versus a Variant 1 for a new shooter?

I'm still a relatively new shooter myself (though BobCole gave me a lot of help with my pistol shooting).  You will probably learn better with the V1, because you can use the shorter SA pull.  One of the main problems that I had (and I suspect many other new shooters as well) was that the motion of pulling the trigger actually moves the muzzle of the weapon. This is most likely to happen if you are using the pad of your finger to pull the trigger, rather than the very end of your fingertip, which you should be using.  It seems to me that a longer trigger pull such as that found on the LEM would tend to amplify this.  I think you will be a more accurate new shooter with the V1 in SA mode.

Note, this is just my opinion. I am sure that many people here could come up with a good argument either way.  The only way you will ever know for sure is to try both.  What state/city are you in?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:18:54 PM EDT
[#4]
First you need to let us know what you have.  Does it have a control lever on the left side?  Can the hammer be cocked back to the SA position?  Does it have a safe position (up) and a decock (down)?  If so, it is a variant one (V2 if it is on the right side) and you have the wrong manual which HK will be glad to correct.  If you have a control lever and it is safe only as well as being DA and SA, you have a V9 or 10.  If there is no safe but it does decock, also SA and DA, then you have a V3 or 4.  If it has a control lever that can be put on safe, but the hammer cannot be cocked back to the SA position and it follows the slide forward after you rack the slide then you have a V5 or 6 which is DAO but has a safe position.  If there is no control lever and the trigger pull feels the same regardless of whether the slide is racked first or not then you have the V7 (V8 is not imported into the US).
Now, if you have no control lever, and the hammer cannot be cocked back to the SA position and if you rack the slide the trigger pull is about 8 pounds, then if you pull the trigger again without first racking the slide the pull is about twice as heavy, then you have the LEM trigger system.
This should answer your questions.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:23:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I dont currently have the gun in my possession as there is a waiting period in my state but from taking a quick look at it at the gun shop I know it has a control lever and therefore cant be the LEM model. Im guessing it is a V1 and the manual I was given just covers all models including the LEM model. Thanks for the help so far.

Any recommendation on ammunition for the USP 9mm? WWB? Anything you guys have had success with?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:15:10 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I dont currently have the gun in my possession as there is a waiting period in my state but from taking a quick look at it at the gun shop I know it has a control lever and therefore cant be the LEM model. Im guessing it is a V1 and the manual I was given just covers all models including the LEM model. Thanks for the help so far.

Any recommendation on ammunition for the USP 9mm? WWB? Anything you guys have had success with?

I have had good luck with WWB 9MM.  I think the USP is pretty good about digesting a wide variety of ammunition.  The only ammo my USP seems not to like is CCI Blazer.  I have only had 3 FTE's with my USP in about 7K rounds.  All 3 were with CCI Blazer ammo.  I have not used Wolf ammunition, and many here will tell you to avoid it.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:27:30 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have had good luck with WWB 9MM.  I think the USP is pretty good about digesting a wide variety of ammunition.  The only ammo my USP seems not to like is CCI Blazer.  I have only had 3 FTE's with my USP in about 7K rounds.  All 3 were with CCI Blazer ammo.  I have not used Wolf ammunition, and many here will tell you to avoid it.

Check the proof roll on the barrel and slide!
My 45 Match is rated up to +P+ that is some HOT stuff!
I can shoot anything thru my H&K... buy a few dif boxes and see what YOUR gun likes!
Low power loads torque my gun left and right as I fire, but higher power loads just kick the slide back and throw it up harder...
Just shoot it and you will find out what works best for you!
Oh and congrats on being a new owner of a great firearm!
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:30:59 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

The only failures I've ever had were a few FTEs when shooting a couple boxes of wolf.

I haven't shot wolf since, and haven't had any problems.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:06:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Im guessing it is a V1 and the manual I was given just covers all models including the LEM model. Thanks for the help so far.  [this is a quote from above, but it is only my second post and i am not sure how to make it stand out like the other ones above]

When I got my .40 (which I love) I got the same instruction book.  In fact every single HK at the shop had the same booklet.  I called HK and they sent me the right one without any hassle.  It doesn't really tell you anything you don't already know or can't figure out, but I wanted the right one anyways.  Enjoy!!
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top