Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Posted: 9/10/2005 3:10:36 AM EDT
I recently purchased a new USP 45 and have been feeding it different brands to see what it likes to eat.  I started out with a Winchester White Box  230gr. FMJ,  100 rd. pack from wally-world just to "break it in".  I'll have to say that ammo is loaded very inconsistent.  I truly believe that a couple of times I actually seen the round go through the air!  Now my son's USP 9mm loves the WWB 9mm 100 rd. packs, but unless i'm desperate i'm going to stay away from it for my 45.  Next I put a 50 rd. box of WWB 230gr. JHP through her.  Loads seemed more consistent and my groups were tighter.  Next trip to the range I brought some Federal AE 230gr. FMJ and the groups got even tighter.  Finally the last stuff I shot was the expensive stuff.... Hornady 230gr. TAP FPD and I was not dissapointed either.  I only shot 20 rds. of this ammo and I'll have to say I was impressed!  GOOD STUFF  Just TOO expensive.  The TAP ammo will have to remain as the home defense ammo, but I still need to find good ammo for the range.  I have a REM UMC 250 rd. Mega Pack that I have yet to try, but was told by a friend at work that ..."yeah it goes bang, but very inconsistent loading".  If that stuff doesn't work out then as of right now I'm leaning towards the Federal AE ammo for range use.

Sooooo!  What is your favorite range ammo for your USP 45
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:52:00 AM EDT
[#1]
I reload my own. After buying an expert, I have no more money for manufactured ammo!

I did try the 230gr wwb and it groups well. Fiocchi ammo sucked for me for some reason, it seemed to cause more muzzle flip than the winchester stuff.

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 11:32:49 AM EDT
[#2]
God knows I've bought every source of cheap ammo known to man thru the years. The best, by far, I've found has been PMC ammo.

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 11:37:21 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm very happy with federal AE 230grn FMJ's.

Natchez has them for a great price almost all the time.

Scott
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:54:06 PM EDT
[#4]
i use sxt's and glasers
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:58:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm reloading my own right now.
200gr Rainier JHP's and 6.5 gr of win231 seems to work really well.
I've been shooting the Winchester White Box but mostly to get the brass.
Shoots fair enough, but I've always been happiest reloading my own.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 10:36:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Blazer Brass for practice ammo or Winchester 100 round value pack. I have been negotiating with a friend about trading some of my home brewed beer for his reloads. We need to come up with a currency exchange rate: one bottle home brew should = 50 rounds. I'll also keep him stocked with spent brass.

Duty ammo is Speer Gold Dot 230 grn, police dept. issue

If you decide to carry your pistol legally or for home protection, the newer Federal HST (Hi-Shok II) from streichers is really good stuff and is affordable enough to practice with. I carry the 124 grn 9mm in my off duty SW99 compact. Federal/ATK has compared it to the Winchester Ranger ammo in juried trials.

The USP .45 is one of the top factory .45s out there. It holds 12 plus 1, is the definition of reliabilty and is super accurate.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 11:12:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I have been shooting UMC bulk packs of 45 auto.  The local Bi-Mart has 250rd packs on sale for $34.99, I picked up 2000 rounds worth recently.  Shoots good too, and I keep the brass for re-loading.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 3:45:50 PM EDT
[#8]
S&B 230 gr. FMJ
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:17:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Winchester "white box" for suppressed shooting, Federal Hydra-Shok for defensive ammo.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 10:17:23 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I'm very happy with federal AE 230grn FMJ's.

Natchez has them for a great price almost all the time.

Scott

same here.. I get it from ammoman.com at a good price..
Also carry the TAP in my CCW for now, but thinking of changing to Win Ranger or Fed Tac Bond or HST just cant decide what to go with..  
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:34:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Lab and street proven loads:

45acp-
Corbon 230gr+P jhp
Federal [Tactical] 230gr LE45T1+P
Remington 230gr Golden Saber BJHP
Speer 230gr Gold Dot
Winchester Ranger 230gr RA45T
Winchester Ranger 230gr RA45TP +P

www.ammolab.myhomepage.com/page/page/1616971.htm

Personnally I carry Win Rangers, but I've got Federal Tactical +p's on hand too.

I can make better than 2 inch groupings with 5 rounds at 50ft with my USP45 shooting winchester white box.
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top