Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Posted: 9/4/2005 1:18:38 PM EDT
I just aquired a USP tac and am wondering what parts usually break/need to be replaced first?

JMN69
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 2:30:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll let you know when mine wears out... You might want to go get a bag of chips and put in a movie or something.  Mine hasn't worn out yet and I don't think it will anytime soon...

Of course it still has a low round count....
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:30:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I probably have about 6-7000 rds through my USPc .40 that I bought 9/1/04.  It has some scuffs and surface nicks at the magwell.  Shoots great and hasn't hiccuped, at all.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:32:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Edit.  Listen to big bore.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:39:28 PM EDT
[#4]
The Tactical like the Expert, SOCOM, and Elite come with 5 o-rings.  Each o-ring is rated for 20,000 rounds.  Do the math.  If you wear out a USP in 100,000 you haven't taken very good care of it.

Like any USP the two things that you MIGHT need are new magazine springs (the weakest part of the HK) and a firing pin.  Those are the only two parts that I regularly hear of needing fixing.  The mag springs seem to often be bad from the get-go or fail very quickly.  However, they are easily and permanently fixed with Wolff +10% overpowered springs.  The firing pin breakage is best avoided by not dry firing without snap caps.  However if it does fail it too is an easy, albeit somewhat expensive fix.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:59:02 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I just aquired a USP tac and am wondering what parts usually break/need to be replaced first?

JMN69

My USP9 is somewhere between 8-10,000 rds, and the only things I've changed are the mag springs.  I used the Wolff +10% springs that Big-Bore mentioned, so this thing will probably outlast my children now.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:56:38 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

JMN69

You'll wear out your trigger finger before before you break a USP

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:28:40 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

You couldn't afford the ammo to wear out a USP, IMO.

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:56:37 PM EDT
[#8]
My fullsize USP45 was one of the batch that shipped a couple years ago with brittle firing pins (AC datecode). Aside from that, I think I'd be hard pressed to wear one out. That being said, I keep a full suite of spare parts onhand anyway

Here are both of ours (Mrs CJan owns the 40):

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 9:55:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Wear out a USP.....???
Thats the funiest thing I have heard all day

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 11:01:00 PM EDT
[#10]
I just turned my Fullsize 40 in after 6 years and 30,000 rounds.  It rattled a little bit and had the usual wear in the finish, but it was rock solid reliable.  My new duty issue is a .40 USP Tactical with a Jet Funnel.

A few thing s of note.  I noticed on my old gun the the cross pin on the slide lock was loose and could be twisted back and forth a bit.  Something to keep an eye on.  Also in the over 120 USP's we have in service, I have only had to change 2 broken firing pins and 1 broken trigger return spring in the 4yrs that I have been and armorer.  I've seen a trigger bar break on a USP compact, but those don't count.

Like the others have said, the biggest problem is the magazine springs.  HTH.

Brad
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 11:29:20 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a 9mm compact that is 7 years old and full size .40 that's 4 years old. What's wrong with them?

A little bit of holster wear.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:53:35 AM EDT
[#12]
6000 rounds and only one jam!  It was my fault.... I let the slide run bone dry.... 2 drops of oil and it was back to the races!

This gun rules!
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:05:53 PM EDT
[#13]
I've put 12-13K through my USPF in the last couple years.  I really beat the shit out of it and I don't expect it to ever malfunction.

I swear this thing eats anything.  And yes I know I spend alot of money on .45...Buy in bulk.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 4:51:15 AM EDT
[#14]
I suppose it's possible as it is a machine. I dont have a USP but I do have an HK P9 in 45 I bought in the early 80s. Its had an unholy amount of rounds thru it with no broken part,s no malfunctions, etc. Same deal with my HK93, 1000s of rounds, no malfunctions. The impression I got from my friends in the Bundeswehr was the HK P8 (9mm USP) had a very low maintenance rate compared to the older P1.
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top