Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Posted: 9/4/2005 8:50:27 AM EDT
Hello,

I was wondering what the concensus oppinion is converning the use of used guns for self defense.

Are they generally less reliable?  I know that it is going to vary from gun to gun.

I have recently bought a USP Tac .45 and a Sig 226 both used and was wondering if I should have just spent the extra $ for peace of mind.  Both guns were manufactured in 1998.

Thanks for the replies.

JMN69
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 11:00:45 AM EDT
[#1]
My 20 year old P7M8 that came used from some PD in New Jersey never had a single hiccup. I wouldn't worry about it unless it starts acting up at the range.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 11:57:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Is a used car less reliable?  Sometimes yes, sometimes no.  It all depends on the buyer's ability to judge gem from junk.  I have no problems buying used firearms and for shooters prefer to do so.  You just have to do a little homework first to know what to look for and then be willing to walk away if something, anything, does not seem right, either with the gun OR the seller.  In fact, I have waked away from more used guns because of the seller than because of the gun.  Pay close attention to your BS meter and don't let your "want to buy it now" moment talk you into doing something you know you shouldn't.  If the seller tries any BS at all, run.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:30:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Make sure you can identify certain marks on a pistol that indicate round count / abuse / general wear. Rule of thumb is to take how many rounds a person says has gone through the pistol and double it.  Lastly, know how to read the seller. Earlier it was said that any BS is an indicator to get up and leave and that is good advice. I personally do not hesitate at buying used guns, as long as I feel with my knowledge that the firearm is sound and was cared for.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 11:24:01 AM EDT
[#4]
I would have no problems with buying a used Single Stack 1911, Colt  6 shooter, HK, Glock or Walther.  As long as the gun shows no signs of misuse.  I would not by a used jennings, chater arms, or keltec.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 11:36:47 AM EDT
[#5]
i like buying used, my last half dozen or so have all been used with most of them being very cherry pieces. im picking up my used glock 23 tomorrow that i snagged for $350 but its probably the poorest condition of all the used guns ive bought with bluing around 85% and looking like it had a decent # of rounds through it. the kahr pm9 and ruger sp101 that i picked up look dang near brand new and i saved myself $100-$125. look here for used glocks that have been factory refurbed...

http://www.summitgunbroker.com/index.html
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 11:18:14 PM EDT
[#6]
well used or not check it out and then give the cash
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 11:28:37 PM EDT
[#7]
If it jams it goes on consignment. If it ticks like a clock there is no way I'd sell it.

If someone else can live without it so can you.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 12:02:13 AM EDT
[#8]
every new gun becomes a used one after it's shot.  All my guns are used
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 9:24:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Used guns are ok as long as you know enough to check them out first.  I buy and sell guns all the time.  Sometimes I buy used.  When I trade or sell something that I don't want any more it usually is good as new.  If you got one of my used guns it would be just fine.  Since this is the HK forum I'm assuming that you are talking about HKs.  They are high quality guns and are more likely than average to be ok.  Watch-Six
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top