Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2005 5:34:42 PM EDT
Hello.  On my 45 Tac, the extracter doubles as a loaded chamber indicator.  (It's a new Tac.)  On my 45 USPF, the extractor does not.  After finding out how to date the HK's, I discovered that my USPF is 10 years old.  (Bought it used for $450 and other than some very slight finish wear, the thing runs like it's new.)

When did HK start putting the loaded chamber indicator feature on their pistols?  Is there any way to "upgrade" my 45 USPF?  It's my carry gun so it is probably more useful there than on my Tac.

Thought about just throwing my hands up in the air and finally buying a USPC for carry.  Does the USPC have the loaded chamber indicator also?

Thank you.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:06:19 AM EDT
[#1]
How do you date the gun?

JMN69
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:24:00 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
How do you date the gun?

JMN69

Look on the left side of the slide (the side that says, HK USP .45).  Right below the .45 Auto there will be two letters.  My USP says: "KF".

The letters corespond with numbers.  A   B   C   D   E   F   G   H   I   K
                                                              0   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9

My USP was built in '95.  My Tac was built in '03.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:42:35 PM EDT
[#3]
No USPs (nor the SOCOM) have ever had the LCI that I know of.  All Compacts, Tac, Expert, Elite, and Match (I think) do have the LCI but not the run of the mill USPs.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 1:25:04 AM EDT
[#4]
The dual-stage spring makes press checks so easy on USP's it's almost redundant to have an indicator.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 2:14:13 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The dual-stage spring makes press checks so easy on USP's it's almost redundant to have an indicator.

huh?
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 2:40:50 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
No USPs (nor the SOCOM) have ever had the LCI that I know of.  All Compacts, Tac, Expert, Elite, and Match (I think) do have the LCI but not the run of the mill USPs.

That's strange.  I guess I'll have to start looking at USPC prices.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:33:56 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

huh?

I think he means it's so easy to pull the slide back 1/4" that you might as well do that all the time anyway.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:48:30 PM EDT
[#8]
why not a p2000? they seem more carry friendly than the USP C.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:55:41 PM EDT
[#9]
My P2000SK has a loaded-chamber indicator, but it really sucks. Even on an empty chamber, I can still see red. I am seriously considering scraping it off. I don't need a painted extractor to tell me if my pistol is loaded or not.

That's my only issue with the little SK. Nice and compact, perfect inbetween size between my Kimber Eclipse II and my S&W 637.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 1:28:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Same on my USP40C its hard to tell, you have to really look at it to see if its out or in.. Can see red either way.. Its quicker and easiers to turn it sideways and look to see if you see brass in the chamber.. But still would not trade it for any other pistol out there... Love it for carry...
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:30:19 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
why not a p2000? they seem more carry friendly than the USP C.

Cause I want a .45.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:53:35 PM EDT
[#12]
You dont need a LCI. Always assume its loaded. But really, it serves no useful purpose.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 10:30:06 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
You dont need a LCI. Always assume its loaded. But really, it serves no useful purpose.

That's what I always thought, until I had a misfire (bad ammo), and used the loaded chamber indicator to quickly confirm I had a round in the chamber.

But I do still consider LCIs non-essential.  Nice but not necessary.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:21:33 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's what I always thought, until I had a misfire (bad ammo), and used the loaded chamber indicator to quickly confirm I had a round in the chamber.

But I do still consider LCIs non-essential.  Nice but not necessary.

tap, rack/roll. There's not need to look
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:40:46 PM EDT
[#15]
I think the red marking on the LCI was an afterthought ... it's best feature is that you can check without looking or in the dark.  It also only requires one free hand.

Is the LCI handy/cool?  Yup.  Major factor in buying decision? Nope (for me anyway).

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:11:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Yah, there's always one in the pipe.  It is not required but it would be kinda nice.

Thanks for the answers.
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top