Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Posted: 8/4/2005 9:09:51 PM EDT
If I never plan on using the threaded bbl is the TAC worth buying over the USP?
The TAC comes with a match trigger, and thats the only advantage the TAC has over the USP for my purposes, but is there any other advantage to having the TAC, such as the extra length and O-ring on the bbl? Will it make that much of a difference that is noticeably better

To phrase my question another way Im looking for a carry piece, and would be happy to have a USP with match trigger, but by the time I purchase the USP and the match trigger and send it off to get put it Ill be $100 away from the price of a TAC.... is there any other advantage I should consider that would make that $100 more worth it to purchase the TAC instead?

Thanks for your opinions
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:55:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Well it appears my answer was here already

As nice as a TAC may be Im still worried about carrying a firearm that says "TACTICAL" on the side and has a threaded barrel ready to accept a supressor...I think id be in BIG trouble if I ever had to use one to put someone down.

I wish HK sell a USP with a match trigger.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:33:54 AM EDT
[#2]
A tac is every bit worth it over a standard USP.

You are going to CCW a full size USP? They are big guns...but it can be done. If you are that worried about it, I KNOW someone will trade you barrels and sites plus some cash, but then you've got a USP Custom Sport.

Leave the barrel on. I doubt too many people would raise issues over the threaded barrel issue if you are in a state where a threaded barrel is legal.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:36:36 AM EDT
[#3]
I agree, if for CCW then you do not want the Tactical.  Regardless of what some will say, you get involved in a shooting in an unfriendly to gun owners area and you are screwed.  Remember the state of California says the Tac is an ASSAULT weapon because of the threaded barrel.  ASSAULT, that means offensive, not DEFENSIVE.  Any anti-gun prosecutor anywhere in the country can make the argument to 12 people too stupid to get out of jury duty that since you were using an OFFENSIVE weapon you were out "hunting" for someone to use it on.  Why else would you use a pistol especially made for using a silencer???
Now, if the weapon was used in a home invasion shooting I really doubt there would be a problem but as a CCW, not a chance in hell I would carry the Tac.

You can always have the match trigger installed in any USP .45 for about $125-$150 not including shipping.  The o-ring barrel helps with accuracy and maintaining perfect slide to barrel lock up but get real, the standard USP is going to last you well into the 100,000 round count if you take any care of it at all before barrel slide fit gets sloppy.   Sights, for a carry weapon I cannot think of worse sights than those that come on the Tac.  You are much better off IMO with the low profile sights of the USP for that use.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:36:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Big-Bore speaketh
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:26:28 PM EDT
[#5]
+1
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:56:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Where can I get the match trigger?????
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:02:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Marc at OPS2 is my first choice or  Cals.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:29:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the link!!!
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:47:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Big-Bore is correct.  Any lawyer worth his salt would do some research and learn that the Mark 23 pistol evolved from parameters set forth by the US Gov for what they desired in an "offensive" handgun.  They would then hold up the Mark 23 and a Tactical to the jury and say they were the same thing and you were out to kill someone.  

I've got a Tactical and a USP Compact 45.  I can't imagine CCW with the Tactical (or even a USP) due to its size, but I would highly recommend the USP Compact.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:12:51 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a regular USP 45 with the Tactical thredded barrel and night sights. (I brought a suppressor) I think the O ring barrel does make a difference when shooting suppressed and unsuppressed.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:29:19 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I have a regular USP 45 with the Tactical thredded barrel and night sights. (I brought a suppressor) I think the O ring barrel does make a difference when shooting suppressed and unsuppressed.  

If the O-ring barrel is more accurate and helps reduce wear why doesnt HK make all their barrels with it (There must be some kind of benefit to not having an O-ring)
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:39:47 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If the O-ring barrel is more accurate and helps reduce wear why doesnt HK make all their barrels with it (There must be some kind of benefit to not having an O-ring)

Money.
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top