Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Posted: 8/5/2002 2:04:20 PM EDT
I jumped off and spent the jack on a brand new USP 40 in stainless steel. The only rub I have is it's a Variant 1 and I'd prefer the V2 since I'm left-handed (there were no left-handed variants locally). I ordered a V2 lever, but I'm looking for some instructions for swapping these over. Anyone done this? Anyone know where I can find these? Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 5:23:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I haven't done it, but I've got a USP armorer's manual around someplace. I'm away from home, but I'll email you when I get home and lay my hands on it. I can mail you copies of the pages in question, if that's cool.
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 5:58:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Hey, that'd be great. I sure appreciate any dope that'll help.
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 6:16:10 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Hey, that'd be great. I sure appreciate any dope that'll help.

Just be careful, ok? Dope & Firearms don't mix!
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 7:21:06 PM EDT
[#4]
This ain't the kind that you smoke or roll.
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 9:52:42 AM EDT
[#5]
If I may urge a note of caution: work not done by a H&K warranty authorized armorer will void their warranty. I would take the time to send it where that wouldn't happen. My .o2
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 10:03:34 AM EDT
[#6]
How will H&K know? I'm not going to volunteer that. Shipping the gun off for a couple of weeks with a total cost of about $100 seems like horseshit to me. I can buy the new lever and install it for half that and never have to miss my gun. Besides that, it'll be a damned cold day in hell when UPS gets my money.
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 9:28:27 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
How will H&K know? I'm not going to volunteer that. Shipping the gun off for a couple of weeks with a total cost of about $100 seems like horseshit to me. I can buy the new lever and install it for half that and never have to miss my gun. Besides that, it'll be a damned cold day in hell when UPS gets my money.

My thought is that there's probably a series of steps that a factory armorer would use versus a non-factory armorer. Possibly scratch marks, etc. could also be an indicator. Keep in mind here that I'm playing Devil's Advocate.  >gg<

I hear you on UPS. However there's also FedEx among others. Have you checked to see if there's an authorized armorer near you?
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 3:34:51 AM EDT
[#8]

My thought is that there's probably a series of steps that a factory armorer would use versus a non-factory armorer. Possibly scratch marks, etc. could also be an indicator. Keep in mind here that I'm playing Devil's Advocate. >gg<

Actually, no. I called H&K yesterday and asked that and asked if they maintained a database on things serviced by an armorer. The answer was no. I mentioned that I wanted my pistol converted to another variant, but I didn't want my warranty voided at some later date because H&K had a record of the pistol being shipped in such-and-such variant, etc. They assured me (I have the H&K representative's name) that would not happen.

I hear you on UPS. However there's also FedEx among others.

It's not that I just hate UPS (and I do HATE them), but $60 or so for round trip shipping? I don't think so. Even Ruger pays for return shipping.

Have you checked to see if there's an authorized armorer near you?

H&K doesn't maintain a listing of its authorized armorers. Their suggestion on contacting one in my area was to call the dealers on the authorized dealer list and see if they had someone who attended H&K's armorer school. What kind of BS is that? Hell's bells, I bought my USP directly from a distributor. Try finding an armorer there.

I have since found out through a telephone conversation with an armorer in another state (who's shipping me a V2 lever) that when converting to a left-handed version of a like variant and vice-versa (V1 to V2, V3 to V4, V5 to V6, and V9 to V10) that the only change is the installation of a new lever. He says it's easy enough that he'll walk me through on the telephone. We'll see.
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 4:45:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Jim, I'll shoot you an email when I get home and find my manual.
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 1:30:21 PM EDT
[#10]
If you end up forgetting how to put something back in, you can see pictures here:

www.streetpro.com/usp/detail/more.html
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 3:59:12 PM EDT
[#11]

From what I gathered from speaking with the armorer yesterday, I should only have to push out the pin retaining the detent plate and depress the trigger bar to release the safety lever. He said it's a five minute job. Don't fret: I won't ruin a good pistol.
Link Posted: 8/14/2002 4:29:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Just an update for those interested, I successfully converted my USP from V1 to V2. I learned, in fact, with the appropriate replacement parts, it's a fairly simple matter to convert to another variant. Moreover, it's so easy, it's almost a joke if you've ever performed work on any other handgun. Now to head to the range.
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top