Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Site Notices
Posted: 5/16/2005 8:45:02 PM EDT
Is the MK23 worth the $ or is Tactical a much better option?  Im not buying anything any time soon but I was curious as to what most HK fans think.  How much more accurate is the MK23?  How accurate is the MK23?
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 9:53:39 PM EDT
[#1]
get both.  I did.  Very happy because of it.

MK23 came first...

No matter what happens...you will eventually end up getting both.
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 1:38:50 AM EDT
[#2]
I chose the Tac.  The price tag was a large contributing factor.  Tha Tac also offered everything I wanted.  I was $150 away from having enough for the MK23.  But the MK23 would give me no real advantage over the Tac.  I'm spending the extra $$$ on a Surfire X200, a couple extra holsters, and a flash suppressor.  If there is any left, it will be spent on extra hi caps.

I also own a USP so the mag interchangability is also a bonus.

Keep doing your homework, and try to get some trigger time with both pistols (even if it is only 50 rds per).  Only you can decide what will work best for you.  

As for me:  I'm going to start looking for another Tactical.  After all, God gave me two hands.
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 2:02:43 PM EDT
[#3]
If you do get a TAC, buy MK23 mags for it

They work 100% in a tac, but the the tac mags will choke a MK23.

Just helping you plan ahead :-)
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 3:11:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Get the Mark 23.  Much better shooter, more accurate, and all around cooler.

I mean, the Tac...is a USP...but the Mark 23 is...a Mark 23...

Spend the extra doe...you'll be glad you did!
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 4:01:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I went with the Tactical myself. It's about half the cost of the MK23, and fits the average-sized hand a lot better.
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 4:32:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Is $1900 a good price for a MK 23? Would the tan color be a better investment? Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 5:18:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I own 3 H&Ks so I have no axe to grind when I say the 23 is for those with more $$$ than sense, IMO.

I can buy 2-3 other H&Ks for what a 23 would cost & have no real better accuracy. No slam intended, but if you need a 23 to feel "cooler" than everyone else at the range, then by all means, please have at it. It's your money, after all, eh?

Flame away, gentlemen.    
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 2:08:36 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm siding with BobCole on this one.  Either Hk will shoot better that I ever will.  

If your state is sound suppressor friendly, then you can buy a kick-ass suppressor with the $$$ that you save with buying a Tactical.  THEN how cool would you be at the range??  You can charge admission for playing with that setup!

$1900 sounds about right for a MK23.  The whole "tan thing" is going to be a personal preferance.  You'll have to find someone with a "Have-to-Have Syndrome" to sell your Mk23 to if you ever decide to part with it.  Could be difficult....could be easy.  No way to tell for sure.  Personally, I buy my guns to wear them out from playing with them---not to sell them later.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:12:10 PM EDT
[#9]
After TONS of research on this topic, I was going to get the tactical (then use the extra $ to buy more ammo and get a suppressor, etc.).  The Mark 23 was my first choice, but the thought of $2K was turning me off. For practical purposes, the Tactical is the same firearm, just scaled-down.

Then, a local shop got a Mark 23in stock.

I discoverd it really wasn't much larger than the Tactical, it fit my hands like a glove (I have medium hands). The fabrication was the same, but was much "beefier". The design was cleaner and seemed to balance better. After holding the two side by side, I walked home with the SOCOM and have not regreted it for a split-second.

I admit, I liked the fact that it won the downselect for the USSOCOM .45. The Mark 23 is a part of history and aguably the most reliable pistol ever made. It is incredible at the range (both indoor and out). As for the size...my 5' 4" girlfriend shoots it with no problem (just did tonight, as a matter of fact). The only guy that couldn't work the trigger easily was a dude at the range, who was about 5' 1".

So, here's my advice.
If you don't get the Mk23, It might gnaw at you until you do.

-If you want a nice shooting .45...get the Tactical
-If you want more, follow your heart

Link Posted: 5/20/2005 1:12:54 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

The Mark 23 is a part of history and aguably the most reliable pistol ever made.

No more reliable than any other USP, IMO.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 10:21:16 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I own 3 H&Ks so I have no axe to grind when I say the 23 is for those with more $$$ than sense, IMO.

I can buy 2-3 other H&Ks for what a 23 would cost & have no real better accuracy. No slam intended, but if you need a 23 to feel "cooler" than everyone else at the range, then by all means, please have at it. It's your money, after all, eh?

Flame away, gentlemen.    

I think if you like the "cool factor," go for it, that is as good a reason as any, life too short to be worreid about a few hundred bucks.

I remember When HK was selling them new, they "listed" the MK23 as $2,100 US, and I saw them selling at the local gunshops for something like $1,900.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 11:03:50 PM EDT
[#12]
The "clump" is nice & all, but...

...word has it that the Tac is the gun that HK engineers wished the Mk23 could have been.  The primary reason for the length difference between them must be owed to range- &/or accuracy-related issues.  It offers slightly better accuracy performance (emphasis on slight), which is dictated by its intended role - which is as a primary offensive arm.  Both are reliable beyond fault.  I have yet to experience a single failure of any kind in my Tac w/ a few thousand rounds through it, using various ammo brands.

If you're looking for a unique offensive handgun - a role that no other HG was designed to fill - go ahead & indulge in the Mk.  If you want a great (possibly the best) sidearm that is nearly capable to fitting into the role of an offensive handgun weapon, & have $$$ leftover for accessories, ammo, & stuff, then the Tac is the way to go.

In either case, I recommend the Safariland 6004 holster.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 6:11:40 PM EDT
[#13]
MFingar,

I'm not sure if I'm more jealous of your firearms or of your photography skills.  Those are some awesome photos!

I've never shot a Tactical before, but I do own a Mark 23.  I want to purchase a Tactical sometime in the future to 'round out the collection.'  I think that's the biggest problem with these pistols - whichever one you purchase, you'll want to get the other one too.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 7:07:36 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I think that's the biggest problem with these pistols - whichever one you purchase, you'll want to get the other one too.

Welcome to the world of H&K, sir.      
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 10:33:43 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
MFingar,

I'm not sure if I'm more jealous of your firearms or of your photography skills.  Those are some awesome photos!

I've never shot a Tactical before, but I do own a Mark 23.  I want to purchase a Tactical sometime in the future to 'round out the collection.'  I think that's the biggest problem with these pistols - whichever one you purchase, you'll want to get the other one too.

Thanks.

I'll be getting a USP down the road too.

Seems like every time I go to the range, I get into the "which is better" arguement. There's always a Tactical owner trying to bring down the Mk23...trying to convince me I wasted my money. It would be nice to give an experienced answer, one way or the other.

You know...no one ever asks "Is the Mk23 as good as a Tactical?"...why's that?
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 10:44:05 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Seems like every time I go to the range, I get into the "which is better" arguement. ..There's always a Tactical owner trying to bring down the Mk23.....trying to convince me I wasted my money. It would be nice to give an experienced answer, one way or the other.

You know...no one ever asks "Is the Mk23 as good as a Tactical?"...why's that?

The SOCOM is an awesome tack-driver. A skilled shooter can easily accomplish sub 2 moa at 150 ft. Everyone, "especially us Tac Owners" will always have an opinion regarding comparisons, Pros and Cons about owning either one or chosing one over the other. But one thing will always remain true,...and it's a damn fact. ....

If youn own a Tac,  sooner or later you'll want a SOCOM. If you own a SOCOM,..sooner or later you'll want a Tac.

Link Posted: 5/22/2005 4:57:50 PM EDT
[#17]

If youn own a Tac, sooner or later you'll want a SOCOM. If you own a SOCOM,..sooner or later you'll want a Tac.

All true... except I ended up selling my Tactical because it was too much like the SOCOM. Just didn't make sense for me to have pretty much 2 of the same gun. I only used the SOCOM & Tactical at gun range suppressed fun time, so size didn't really matter to me. The 3 dot sights on the SOCOM are much better than the black on black target sights of the Tactical.

I went and got a Colt 1991A1 NRM instead.

Link Posted: 5/23/2005 12:34:28 PM EDT
[#18]

If youn own a Tac,  sooner or later you'll want a SOCOM. If you own a SOCOM,..sooner or later you'll want a Tac.

Finally someone posted something that makes sense.

Its true, now I have both.

Its inevitable.  
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 7:12:38 PM EDT
[#19]
I want th MK23 dammit! but the 2000$ price tag is way to much for me :(
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 9:10:38 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I want th MK23 dammit! but the 2000$ price tag is way to much for me :(

There was one in teh EE for 1550 or so not too long ago..

Its a steal.  Not sure if its still there.
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 4:59:36 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Flame away, gentlemen.    

+1

While the Mk 23 is badass, and I would love to own one, it has no real advantage over a Tactical for normal use in my hands.  I can't shoot half as good as my Tactical can, and it's WAY smaller than the Mk 23.  Not to mention MUCH cheaper.  It's never jammed a single time during the 8 or so months I've owned it.  The only issue I've had was magazine related, and I've yet to duplicate it (rounds didn't stack properly in the magazine so it would only hold 9 instead of 12).  So the ARFCOM code still holds true here - get both, but I'd get the Tactical first unless you just have plenty of cash to throw around.  With the difference in cost (about $700 - $800), you could easily accumulate a holster or two, a UTL, a few high caps, or even a suppressor.
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 5:34:02 AM EDT
[#22]
I had a Socom and sold it. Way too big. I then purchased an Expert in .45 and never looked back.
I just don't get the whole mark 23 thing. The only reason I got mine was because it was mint, for $1200. After shooting it and deciding it wasn't for me I bought the Expert and had ALOT of money left over. JMO
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 6:51:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Yes. No.
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 7:38:19 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Mark 23 is a part of history and aguably the most reliable pistol ever made.

No more reliable than any other USP, IMO.

I don't mean to be a dick, but...that statement only tells me you've never studied the "inside workings" of a Mark 23.  The Mark 23 is more robust, simpler in design, and has more room for debris, like cabon and mud, to pack away. It was specifically designed for some very rough situations (more rough than in my gunsafe, or at the range).

Fire both side by side, and the Tactical would most likely be the first to jam.

Don't get me wrong...The Tac is an excellent firearm (or I wouldn't be getting one).

Link Posted: 6/2/2005 12:25:03 PM EDT
[#25]
I bought a Tac two years ago.  One of my favorite pistols.  Ever.
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 3:29:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quick question.

Is this USP9SD basically the tactical but in a 9mm and w/o the O-ring?

How much difference does that O-ring make?  I have a glock 27 that I carry but I want a full-sized pistol for the range.  I'm debating over the 9SD or the Tactical .40.  I want something accurate and I like the 'cool' factor of the threaded barrel and I really want match trigger.  But if those bells and whistles aren't worth it, I'll start looking at the regular USP .40

Any advice?
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 5:23:11 PM EDT
[#27]
The USP9SD is pretty nice. Theres a guy selling one in the EE now for a fairly good price. i think 785.00 for the package. Has the target sights, threaded barrel, match trigger,  soft case , lots of mags and a GG+G tactical rail adapter for a light... Not a bad deal although I did just buy a USP .45 Tactical off the EE for 780.00 in a FTF here in Ohio this week. Its basicaly a brand new gun... I love it to death...
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 10:59:17 AM EDT
[#28]
The USP9SD that I'm looking at on GunBroker I can get for $650, I've talked to the guy and he says he's only put 50 rounds through it.  I found a .40 Tactical for $848 NIB as well.  I dunno.  I'm debating on whether or not to get a 9mm, the only reason I would is price of bullets because I do like the .40 better.  And I already have the reloading equipment for .40.

Sorry, I'm a newbie to buying guns online, I've been more of a gun show guy, what is EE?  I would like to check those out.

Link Posted: 6/10/2005 8:51:36 AM EDT
[#29]
EE is the Equipment Exchange here on AR15.com.  Look up near the top left of the screen, under the M4.
Link Posted: 6/10/2005 1:57:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Ahhh, thank you.

ERAU huh.

I graduated from ERAU in Daytona Beach in December, still in Florida working for a small airline that flies King Airs and 1900's to the bahamas.  And buying guns in between student loan payments
Link Posted: 6/10/2005 2:07:35 PM EDT
[#31]
I have the option of buying a brand new HK Tac for $1050....

But I don't know what I'd do with the threaded barrel!
Link Posted: 6/10/2005 3:30:42 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

It's pretty self-explanatory.
Link Posted: 6/10/2005 4:02:24 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's pretty self-explanatory.

Put a thread protector over it.

Thank you Illinois.
Link Posted: 6/11/2005 8:02:02 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Ahhh, thank you.

ERAU huh.

I graduated from ERAU in Daytona Beach in December, still in Florida working for a small airline that flies King Airs and 1900's to the bahamas.  And buying guns in between student loan payments

Yup, went to the Prescott campus.  Not nearly as fun as Daytona, but you can't beat Prescott for going out shooting.. and my apartment was only half an hour from Gunsite :)
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 5:54:16 AM EDT
[#35]
i've owned a USP .45 Tactical for a while,and it shoots pretty well.i bought it,and a benelli m1 super 90 tactical with lots of ammo for the price difference.personally,i can't see the difference in accuracy with my shooting skills.it is pretty accurate,but mine doesn't like to lock the slide back after the last round.any thoughts on this,anyone?or am i just having a stupid moment (for the last year or so)?

by the way,to be honest,i prefer my kimber tle/rl II. doesn't have the mag capacity,but 2500 rds later, i'm still waiting on a malfunction. not to mention,it's accurate as hell,and i prefer its recoil characteristics. but as for the final decision,tactical vs. mk23,well,that's on you. either way,you'll have fun. (get night sights on it if you get a tactical)
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 9:48:31 AM EDT
[#36]
The rigorous testing that I have heard so much about - did they test a USP 45 or the Mk23?  

You know the mud, freezing, obstructed barrel, heating, dropping etc etc?

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 12:13:29 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
The rigorous testing that I have heard so much about - did they test a USP 45 or the Mk23?  

You know the mud, freezing, obstructed barrel, heating, dropping etc etc?

Thanks

MK23
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 4:17:00 AM EDT
[#38]
Well, both.

USP 45 Torture Test
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:52:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Well,

I ended up getting the USP Tactical .40 cal.  I shot it yesterday for the first time and it shoots great.
Very accurate gun, nice feel, and I really like the match trigger.  Hopefully I can get a can for it pretty quick.

Anyone have a suggestion on where to get a good deal on a thread protector ?
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 10:34:19 AM EDT
[#40]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:
I chose the Tac. The price tag was a large contributing factor. Tha Tac also offered everything I wanted. I was $150 away from having enough for the MK23. But the MK23 would give me no real advantage over the Tac. I'm spending the extra $$$ on a Surfire X200, a couple extra holsters, and a flash suppressor.

Is there a flash suppressor available for the USP Tactical, or did he mean an actual sound suppressor ?
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:06:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Just putting in my .02, but I've owned a USP Tactical 45 for about 2.5 years, 1.5 of those years with a sound suppressor. Honestly it's a very nice setup, got shot ALOT within the first 6-8 months took a class with it and never had a problem with the setup.

In the end I'm happy, because if I tried to buy a Mk23 from the very beginning, I'm not sure if I would have been able to justify spending that much money on a suppressed handgun setup ( Mk23 + suppressor + a rail mounted light). After about $1700 with the USPT I have all of that (USPT + Implus IIA + Surefire X200) (also $1700 is about what I would have paid for a LNIB MK23).

However for those 2.5 years I have wondered if the Mk23 is that much of a better gun (I can't imagine a better built and performing handgun than the USPT) so finally I have a trade lined up for a MK23 to check out what all the fuss is really about and if I like the handgun I'll keep it if I don't it'll be sold and proceeds will go toward my SP89 fund. And in the end I'll still have my suppressed USP Tactical.

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:49:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Picked up my MK23 about a month ago, feels fine in my hands and I have medium sized hands.  It shoots like a dream, smooth and very little kick.  It will take some getting used to so go out and get a feel for some.  I can't compare to the rest because I have no experience with a Tac or an Expert.  Feel 'em out.
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top