Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Posted: 6/16/2016 6:55:42 PM EDT
Read soooooooooo many threads on the P30 vs VP9 and want to avoid that here.
The focus is solely on the P30L.
Who knows I may do a separate thread for the VP9 later.

I though the L was for LongSlide but based on the dimensions the P30L is shorter than some other regular firearms.

This would be an item for a CCW along with plinking at the range.

How do you like the P30L as a CCW?
Do you find it too big?
The weight seems to be not much different.
How does it handle during rapid follow-up shots?
Are you a fan of the different type of mag release?
Interested in any personal view points about this firearm.

I noticed CDNN has it on sale for $800 which is the cheapest I have seen.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 7:19:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

How do you like the P30L as a CCW? Love the P30 platform.  Which Version?  LEM is nice.
Do you find it too big?   P30L is a little to long for appendix for me.  Jabs when sitting.  P30 is perfect.
The weight seems to be not much different. Not much difference.
How does it handle during rapid follow-up shots?   All P30 pistols are great with recoil.
Are you a fan of the different type of mag release?   I prefer this.  I have a jacked up thumb.  I use the strong hand middle finger.
Interested in any personal view points about this firearm.   p30 vs. p30L depends on how comfortably you can carry the p30L.  See if you can carry it comfortably and if you can go with the p30L.  MAKE SURE TO DEMO ALL TRIGGER TYPES.   LEM is sweet but has a learning curve as does SA/DA.

View Quote
 There are a lot of good deals on used ones since the VP9 came out.  Oh, BTW VP9 .  But you didn't want to hear that.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 7:32:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Read soooooooooo many threads on the P30 vs VP9 and want to avoid that here.
The focus is solely on the P30L.
Who knows I may do a separate thread for the VP9 later.

I though the L was for LongSlide but based on the dimensions the P30L is shorter than some other regular firearms.

This would be an item for a CCW along with plinking at the range.

Do you find it too big?

View Quote
Never noticed any difference when I carried either the VP9 or the P30L.

Not too big at all.

Not much of any nitecable weight difference actually.

Rapid follow up shots are too easy.

Yes, the paddle mag release I'm a big fan with. mag drops are easier, better for both right or southpaw shooters, and it's in my experience to be superior than what I consider to be obsolete push button style.

Never got trigger slap, never got my finger pinched either. You can custom set it up in 27 grip configurations. A smidgen longer sight radius is a good thing. Get both meaning this and the VP9. Or get this and a P30...or a P30SK...
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 8:34:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There are a lot of good deals on used ones since the VP9 came out.  Oh, BTW VP9 .  But you didn't want to hear that. [/span]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
There are a lot of good deals on used ones since the VP9 came out.  Oh, BTW VP9 .  But you didn't want to hear that. [/span]

I think I have only seen one for sale on this board and it wasn't the L model.
Was the price better than the $800 for a new one?

Quoted:

Rapid follow up shots are too easy.

I like that.

Quoted:

Yes, the paddle mag release I'm a big fan with. mag drops are easier, better for both right or southpaw shooters, and it's in my experience to be superior than what I consider to be obsolete push button style.

Never got trigger slap, never got my finger pinched either. You can custom set it up in 27 grip configurations. A smidgen longer sight radius is a good thing. Get both meaning this and the VP9. Or get this and a P30...or a P30SK...

Interesting perspective.
Glad to read about the lack of trigger slap.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 11:02:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Get the USP.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 6:53:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Get the USP.
View Quote

Why and does the USP come without a safety?
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 6:59:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Get the USP.

If you're going to put a can on something, the USP is a really good host for one no matter what caliber.

Note the fact that the rail is not a universal one make's light options a pain unless you don't mind putting a mount onto the mount. And some do not favor the grip. I have the USP and the P30L. I like them both equally the same.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 7:18:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Note the fact that the rail is not a universal one make's light options a pain...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Note the fact that the rail is not a universal one make's light options a pain...

Not a big deal is it main purpose will be CCW.

Quoted:
I have the USP and the P30L. I like them both equally the same.

Geeesh, that doesn't help me.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 7:24:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Flip a coin then?

If you plan on getting a VP9 or a P30SK later, get the P30L or P30 because you'll only have to get just one style of mag to horde on. If you just want the best can host, get the USP.

Heads or tails?

Link Posted: 6/17/2016 7:55:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Flip a coin then?
View Quote

I do appreciate all the feedback.

Doing research on so other firearms you can eventually find something significant to warrant choosing one over the other.
With any of the HK it doesn't seem to be the case.

The summary of what I am finding as to which to get comes down to basically what stated...flip a coin.

I guess its better to have too many options than not enough.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 9:10:08 PM EDT
[#10]
My P30sk fits the bill perfectly compared to my P30. I don't have a P30L but the only difference between it and the standard P30 is the little bit of barrel/slide length, but the grip is a little big for me to ccw.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 12:08:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Doing research on so other firearms you can eventually find something significant to warrant choosing one over the other.

The summary of what I am finding as to which to get comes down to basically what stated...flip a coin.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Flip a coin then?

The one difference that sent me to the P30 over the VP9 was the slide release location where the thumb stops the slidelock. It is in the same place that gives me trouble on P22X series but that in that case there is an easy $15 fix. With the VP it would be dremel and refinishing and I didn't want to deal with that so P30 it was. If you have held the VP and don't think it will be an issue then back to the coin toss.

On another note, having just got a P30 (V3) I can't really imagine using an L for CCW. The P30 for me seems borderline to big and I am flirting with getting an L for competition/range and an SK for CCW. I am gonna continue to shoot the P30 a bit though to see what happens. I also have the opinion that having guns with the same system is extremely beneficial for training. I wouldn't mix and mash the VP and P30 if that helps at all.

Thanks for the line on the CDNN P30Ls.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 2:50:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Here is a quick size comparison of the P30 series (sorry for the crappy pics, best I can do right now).  Honestly, since I got the P30SK, I'm starting to question why I have the P30.  I'll probably carry the SK more than anything else.  The P30L was/is just for shooting some matches at my local club, and plinking.  It's way too big for me to carry regularly.

I've been shooting and training with LEM HK's for close to 15 years now, I strongly prefer the paddle magazine release, use your trigger, or middle finger and it's much faster, for me anyways than a button release.  I wouldn't want to go back.  All the guns are LEM.

I also strongly agree, train, and shoot what you are going to carry, don't mix and match trigger types.

The P30 series, SK on top, P30 in the middle, and P30L on the bottom.

P30 and 30L, with the VP9 in the middle.

The gun I wish they would build (besides a single stack), is a P2000 with the P30 grip.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 4:35:24 PM EDT
[#13]
I had a P30L with a thumb safety, intended to be carried SAO.  I bought it when I was shooting M&P's.

When I discovered that the reset of the P30's trigger was nearly as much as the total travel of my M&P with a DCAEK/AEK, I was rather disappointed.

The total travel of the trigger in SAO is longer than a stock M&P.

Great gun, one of the worst triggers in any modern DA/SA.  Under a timer I could literally run an M&P twice as fast, and that was with getting hits on an M&P, and just trying to mash the HK as fast as possible.

I'd go VP9, or an HK DA/SA with the match trigger.  The travel is still long, but the reset is very manageable when you factor in that the break is further to the rear, and the over travel is controlled by the stop on the trigger.  Makes a huge difference.  If you do go with a P30, stick with the LEM trigger.
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 3:31:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Here is a quick update.

Hit the indoor gun range and rented a few items today.
First was the PPQ and VP9.
Very impressed with these.

Next was the P30L and the P30.
Damn, should never go from striker fire to hammer.
Should have shot the hammer first.
Shot extremely poorly with these 2 compared to the first 2.

Sure, with some practice I could shoot them just the same but the first two where definitely more of a natural hold and trigger pull.

So for now, the P30 is off the table.

I tried a few other items as well. The good news is the field has been  narrowed down to the items which are a bit cheaper than the P30.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 12:41:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Do you find it too big?

View Quote

I never saw the P30L as a CCW gun but with a good holster and belt I bet its possible. Heavier than other options but possible.

Compared to my other handguns the follow up shots are much faster. The slide goes back into battery very fast compared to other as seen in the video.
I prefer paddle mag release, sometimes I have pressed the button on other handguns by seating or leaning to the side.
My personal experience with this handgun have been excellent at the moment, much more accurate than I thought it would be. I shoot better groups with the P30L than with my PPQM1
BTW: why having a longer barrel produce much more muzzle flash than my other 4inch barrel handguns?
P30L fireballs
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 1:48:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Get the USP.

Variants 3, 4 (DA/SA with de-cocker) and 7 (LEM with no lever at all), don't have safeties. As for why I recommend the USP, it has a noticeably better trigger, a proven track record (not that the P30 doesn't, but the USP is famously reliable), and lastly, as noted by GSL, it is a fantastic suppressor host.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 6:10:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Who sells a threaded barrel for the USP 9?

They seem hard to find.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 6:12:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

They seem hard to find.
View Quote
Why HK, of course!

HKparts is your friend.

ETA: Just saw your edit, in stock as of now.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 6:25:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Why HK, of course!

HKparts is your friend.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They seem hard to find.
Why HK, of course!

HKparts is your friend.

Thanks.
Just saw the price.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 10:29:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Here is a quick size comparison of the P30 series (sorry for the crappy pics, best I can do right now).  Honestly, since I got the P30SK, I'm starting to question why I have the P30.  I'll probably carry the SK more than anything else.  The P30L was/is just for shooting some matches at my local club, and plinking.  It's way too big for me to carry regularly.

I've been shooting and training with LEM HK's for close to 15 years now, I strongly prefer the paddle magazine release, use your trigger, or middle finger and it's much faster, for me anyways than a button release.  I wouldn't want to go back.  All the guns are LEM.

I also strongly agree, train, and shoot what you are going to carry, don't mix and match trigger types.

<a href="http://s21.photobucket.com/user/nimslow/media/11-25-14/DSC_0190_zpsjcfytsee.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b299/nimslow/11-25-14/DSC_0190_zpsjcfytsee.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s21.photobucket.com/user/nimslow/media/11-25-14/DSC_0195_zpszospc4m5.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b299/nimslow/11-25-14/DSC_0195_zpszospc4m5.jpg</a>

The gun I wish they would build (besides a single stack), is a P2000 with the P30 grip.
View Quote

I understand your logic of sticking to one type of trigger; the LEM in your case.

So is the VP9 just a range toy for you? What purpose does it serve?

Honest question; not being condescending. The reason I ask is, because I have a VP9 but I prefer the my P2000 LEM. The VP9 was shot very little, and everytime I bring it along with me it just sits there while the P2000 gets used.

The thing is that selling the VP9 means I will have to pay a lot to replace it if I decide I miss it.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 1:08:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I understand your logic of sticking to one type of trigger; the LEM in your case.

Honest question; not being condescending. The reason I ask is, because I have a VP9 but I prefer the my P2000 LEM. The VP9 was shot very little, and everytime I bring it along with me it just sits there while the P2000 gets used.

The thing is that selling the VP9 means I will have to pay a lot to replace it if I decide I miss it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s21.photobucket.com/user/nimslow/media/11-25-14/DSC_0190_zpsjcfytsee.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b299/nimslow/11-25-14/DSC_0190_zpsjcfytsee.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s21.photobucket.com/user/nimslow/media/11-25-14/DSC_0195_zpszospc4m5.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b299/nimslow/11-25-14/DSC_0195_zpszospc4m5.jpg</a>

Yes, the VP9 is pretty much just a range toy.  It was an impulse buy, because I already had a PPQ, I figured I should have a VP9.  I'll probably keep it, mostly for the same reason (probably why I still have the PPQ).
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top