Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Posted: 8/3/2014 7:53:51 PM EDT
If I slowly reset the trigger on my HK VP9 occasionally I get a false reset. Anyone else experience this?

ETA: This is only an observation and is not noticed while actually firing the weapon. Just thought it was interesting and wanted to share

Link Posted: 8/3/2014 8:47:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you serious?  Some of the HK45's and 45C's had this...mine did as well.  It was an out of spec part that they would fix for free, but if it is the same thing it is very disappointing that they would go through this all over again.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 8:51:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are you serious?  Some of the HK45's and 45C's had this...mine did as well.  It was an out of spec part that they would fix for free, but if it is the same thing it is very disappointing that they would go through this all over again.
View Quote

Yeah... I was really hard to post this since I'm a huge fan of the pistol and I may be the only one with the issue and didn't want to spread false information. But I felt I had to provide the gun community with my experience. I've fired 1600 rounds through my VP9 and 200 through my other VP9 I just picked up. I haven't experienced the false reset in that one.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 10:27:43 PM EDT
[#3]
No such issue in any of the VP's we own.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 12:17:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If I slowly reset the trigger on m HK VP9 occasionally I get a false reset. Anyone else experience this?
View Quote

LOL

Stop doing it slowly then.

Shoot normally and acquire muscle memory.

Link Posted: 8/4/2014 1:22:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

LOL

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If I slowly reset the trigger on m HK VP9 occasionally I get a false reset. Anyone else experience this?

LOL

You're joking right? It's called riding the reset. I'm trying to develop muscle memory by starting slow since its a new handgun. I don't want to slap the trigger.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 2:01:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

You're joking right? It's called riding the reset. I'm trying to develop muscle memory by starting slow since its a new handgun. I don't want to slap the trigger.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL

Call HK. They will take care of you.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 11:11:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Interesting.  I am picking mine up tomorrow.  What does the false reset feel like?  Is there an audible and tactile click like a normal reset or is it just a very subtle one that you have to pay very close attention to notice it.    
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 11:34:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL

I think if he is serious, he may he dunked his head in the kool-aid for a bit longer than normal and forgot to come up for oxygen...
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 1:25:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

LOL

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL

I tend to agree.

I think the reason I don't have Trigger problems is because I started carrying S&W revolvers 30 sum years ago.
mainly DAO J& K frame

I haven't yet run into a handgun that had a bad trigger or the trigger caused me to shoot poorly.

I also refuse to get trigger jobs and found a few days on the range would smooth things out. Same with my carbine.rifle or shotgun.

Link Posted: 8/4/2014 1:26:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I think if he is serious, he may he dunked his head in the kool-aid for a bit longer than normal and forgot to come up for oxygen...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL

are you going to ride the reset when SHTF?

I always  RESET during recoil.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 3:35:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL

I practice riding the reset every single time I fire a firearm. My mind will not work properly during a shooting. My training and my muscle memory will.

Either way, it's still an issue with the firearm, not the shooter. The firearm should work under normal operation, no matter how slow he is releasing the trigger.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 7:51:10 PM EDT
[#12]
My HK45C had the false reset, but it went away after about 150 rounds.

Link Posted: 8/7/2014 11:40:13 PM EDT
[#13]
This is the first report of a false reset issue with the VP9 that I've seen.  It doesn't happen with mine but that's just a sample of one
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 10:07:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Shot it more, it will go away.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 3:29:48 PM EDT
[#15]
That's not right.

I was thinking maybe it was a little click. But after watching the video it should probably go back to H&K
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 7:03:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Shot it more, it will go away.
View Quote

Why are you so sure of this? I've fired about 1600 rounds through it and dry fired about 1k more.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 7:05:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Interesting.  I am picking mine up tomorrow.  What does the false reset feel like?  Is there an audible and tactile click like a normal reset or is it just a very subtle one that you have to pay very close attention to notice it.    
View Quote

I uploaded a video. If you watch it, make sure to turn up the volume and you can here the two distinct clicks. If released slow enough, there will only be one click (the false reset).
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 12:30:37 PM EDT
[#18]
reset is overrated, I find when I concentrate on it, there are times I pull short of the reset and then just sit there doing nothing...

Rob Leatham just slaps it...  or at least takes his finger off the trigger between shots.
http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/non-xd-handguns/177142-rob-leatham-interview.html

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 12:39:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
reset is overrated, I find when I concentrate on it, there are times I pull short of the reset and then just sit there doing nothing...

Rob Leatham just slaps it...  or at least takes his finger off the trigger between shots.

View Quote

I don't remember who or where it was posted but someone explained how "riding" the reset is basically a starting point to firearm training. Eventually you work your way up to resetting during the recoil but not resetting past the actual reset (or very close to that point).

This observation with my VP9 is not an issue at all, just something I've noticed and never experienced with Glocks. I will point out that I did get used to the extremely positive reset with Glocks that I did short stroke the trigger once during the now 2400 rounds through my VP9

ETA: I'll have to talk to Rob and see what he thinks about the trigger and if he even notices it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 12:24:18 AM EDT
[#20]
I recently purchased this gun and I can get mine to do this false reset very rarely, however my brother who bought his VP9 before me has this problem and his VP9 has this false reset more frequently. HK is supposed to call him tomorrow about the problem. I was wondering if your problem was ever resolved and if so what happened. Did you have to send your gun back and how long did it take to get it back? Or did they say it wasn't a problem?

Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 2:09:20 AM EDT
[#21]
I know what you're talking about. While shooting I haven't encountered it. Only as you describe with extremely slow let up.  I've shot about 200 rounds, and dry fired much more, and not had the issue.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 8:33:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

No it's not.

It's great for those of us that are not Rob Leatham.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 8:33:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 8:05:46 PM EDT
[#24]
I can get mine to do that. While for the longest time I was taught to shoot using reset, I noticed under "stress" I did not use it as well on pistols. I can do it pretty well on an AR.  I use the "slack out method" for the last year or so, and find it to be better for my tastes.

Fire, some off the trigger during recoil ( not completely) and pull the slack out while you're coming back on target. I'd guess I'm not explaining it correctly, when it was first explained to me, I did not understand it, nor like the idea of it. Some slow mo video of it made it more clear that I was not riding the reset very much when shooting steel.  

That being said, I do have proper follow though, or at least that's what I try for.

Here is my VP9 with 1050 rounds. "Just shooting it" does not solve the problem. I don't pay to play here, so I guess I can't embed the video.

Link Posted: 9/14/2014 8:42:42 PM EDT
[#25]
I forwarded this thread to Apex Tactical.  Hopefully they can pick up the slack and come out with some decent triggers like they do with the M&P.

False reset is going to cause some first responder some blood Ina gunfight.  Totally unsat.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 8:48:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I forwarded this thread to Apex Tactical.  Hopefully they can pick up the slack and come out with some decent triggers like they do with the M&P.

False reset is going to cause some first responder some blood Ina gunfight.  Totally unsat.
View Quote

Thanks for forwarding this thread. Travis Haley confirmed that my specific VP9 has a false reset with 2 distinct clicks. I handled his and it was noticeable but not nearly as much as mine and he agreed.

I also spoke with TGO and he laughed when I mentioned riding the reset and didn't think it was an issue at all. He's a firm believer in resetting during recoil.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 3:27:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Ok I had it do the false reset once now while slow firing at the range. No big deal, haven't had it during more rapid fire. It's at the back of your mind, though.  My Glocks and XDS both have superior reset, but heavier trigger pulls.  Still my favorite handgun for now.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:04:12 PM EDT
[#28]
I can replicate this on my VP9 (my serial # is over 11k) but only if I reset the trigger EXTREMELY slowly. It seems more pronounced in OPs video. I have to use 2 fingers to be able to realese the trigger slowly enough to cause this to happen. In my case I don't think it is an issue.

ETA: The only thing I can think of is it is the striker safety engaging.

ETA2: so I disabled the striker safety by wedging some paper in there. I was unable to get the "false reset" no matter how slowly I reset the trigger. So I'm pretty sure the noise is the safety.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:16:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Again, have you contacted HK? The few HK45s that had this issue was caused by an out of spec part. I cannot get my VP9 to false reset no matter how slow I let the trigger out. The other two VP9's I've fired were just like mine, so definitely appears to be like the HK45s' small scale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcpqC3g-i1U
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 9:53:51 PM EDT
[#30]

I have the false reset on my brand new VP9. Took it to the range today and ran 400 rounds through it. Tested for false reset again and it was exactly the same false reset as when I first took it out of the box. I showed the RO and he said that every VP9 he had handled, has the same issue. I asked if I could verify on the rentals, and every one of them had it. I think this is an issue with the model and not just a few isolated incidents.

Has anyone sent their gun back to HK yet? I want mine fixed or my money back.

As far as the post right above mine, the trigger is not being released properly. You have to do it slower and more controlled than that.

EDIT

Here is a video of the issue on mine:

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 1:54:25 AM EDT
[#31]
Here is a quick video I made of mine.

The first part is with a small piece of paper disabling the striker safety. I am unable to cause this reset feeling. Then I remove the paper and the sound of the striker safety resetting can be heard.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 2:18:31 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I have the false reset on my brand new VP9. Took it to the range today and ran 400 rounds through it. Tested for false reset again and it was exactly the same false reset as when I first took it out of the box. I showed the RO and he said that every VP9 he had handled, has the same issue. I asked if I could verify on the rentals, and every one of them had it. I think this is an issue with the model and not just a few isolated incidents.[div style='font-size: 10.3999996185303px;']

[div style='font-size: 10.3999996185303px;']Has anyone sent their gun back to HK yet? I want mine fixed or my money back.
[div style='font-size: 10.3999996185303px;']

[div style='font-size: 10.3999996185303px;']As far as the post right above mine, the trigger is not being released properly. You have to do it slower and more controlled than that.

[div style='font-size: 10.3999996185303px;']EDIT

[div style='font-size: 10.3999996185303px;']Here is a video of the issue on mine:

http://youtu.be/_gotHPKaBbE

View Quote

Sorry but this falls into the OCD9 category. Under normal conditions I cannot get my VP9 to false reset no matter how slowly I release the trigger - which is ridiculously slow and exaggerated. In the video you are taking your support hand and blocking the trigger from springing on the reset. I can get a number of other striker fired pistols to "false reset" under these unreal conditions. People need to shoot more and OCD less about dry fire "flaws"

I'm sure the false reset problem originally came from a rarity with an out of spec part, however now it has spread into internet forum BS. Unless you're trigger is false resetting when you are shooting it, there is no problem. Blocking the trigger from resetting with your support hand is not showcasing a "defect"
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 2:32:22 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Sorry but this falls into the OCD9 category. Under normal conditions I cannot get my VP9 to false reset no matter how slowly I release the trigger - which is ridiculously slow and exaggerated. In the video you are taking your support hand and blocking the trigger from springing on the reset. I can get a number of other striker fired pistols to "false reset" under these unreal conditions. People need to shoot more and OCD less about dry fire "flaws"

I'm sure the false reset problem originally came from a rarity with an out of spec part, however now it has spread into internet forum BS. Unless you're trigger is false resetting when you are shooting it, there is no problem. Blocking the trigger from resetting with your support hand is not showcasing a "defect"
View Quote

I agree. I can not release the trigger slowly enough in a normal firing grip to replicate this. I do not think it is an issue at all.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 10:01:34 PM EDT
[#34]

This is an itsy bitsy petty issue about something so freakin' trivial I can't believe I'm wasting Oxygen reading about it.

Sell the damn gun and go buy some POS HiPoint or something that makes only one click-sound when resetting the trigger.

The intial "false reset" click is so vague, that nobody is going to be affected by it in the real world.

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 10:33:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
This is an itsy bitsy petty issue about something so freakin' trivial I can't believe I'm wasting Oxygen reading about it.

Sell the damn gun and go buy some POS HiPoint or something that makes only one click-sound when resetting the trigger.

The intial "false reset" click is so vague, that nobody is going to be affected by it in the real world.

View Quote

Theres a reason why I haven't sold mine or sent it in. Its not an issue for me. At 4,300 rounds today and 1 short stroke in thr first 500 rounds.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 10:37:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Theres a reason why I haven't sold mine or sent it in. Its not an issue for me. At 4,300 rounds today and 1 short stroke in thr first 500 rounds.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For clarification of my opinion, I think your case is legit. I personally would call HK. My VP9 and two others I have fired do not have a false reset under normal conditions. You probably have a slightly out of spec part. Nothing to be concerned with reliability wise, just a tad lemony trigger

ETA: Here's the trigger on my VP9 which seems to be the majority https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcpqC3g-i1U
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top