Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Posted: 3/17/2014 4:59:27 PM EDT
Just getting into IDPA with my dad, used my USPc 40 v1 during the first match and won against all the new and pretty new guys.  I've thought about getting a Glock 34 soon to compete with and my dad has a M&P 9 pro long slide for his competition gun.  I'm really thinking a USP 9 w/ LEM trigger would be a great gun to compete with.  Anyone try it or have advise?  Since this gun will gets lots of wear I think getting a cheap police trade in would be a good way to try it out and down the road just replace springs and eventually barrel as needed.
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 5:28:43 PM EDT
[#1]
A 34 is going to steamroll most HK's due to the mechanical differences in length of trigger travel.

A lighter short trigger is almost always faster.

I have never seen "cheap trade in" HK's.

I paid $840 for mine two weeks ago.
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 7:02:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Use my USP 9 and tactical 45 for IDPA use, I'm up there with experts and masters in speed so long as I don't move.

I've put over 10K rounds through my USP 9 and haven't needed to replace anything yet or even clean her for that matter.

Link Posted: 3/18/2014 10:21:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Get the USP 9 if you are already familiar with the compact version. The full size USP is my favorite pistol. I have the .40.
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 10:37:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Summitgunbroker typically has cheap trade in H&Ks. last ones were USP .40 V1 for $549. ive seen various USP trade in models for similar prices
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 5:50:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I would probably go with the 34 over the standard USP, but if you can get your hands on an expert 9mm, I would go with that.  Then again I may be biased.
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 6:00:47 PM EDT
[#6]
HKs in IDPA/USPSA shows you are part of the "more money than sense" crowd. 34 or MP9L are all you need, ready to run out of the box. You'll have a shorter learning curve using one of those pistols, parts, mags, holsters are cheaper.
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 8:48:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I was HK-USA's factory sponsored shooter for two stints, one in the 80's shooting M-13 long slides, and again from 1998 through 2002.  I shot USP's during the latter period.  I was very competitive in USPSA and IPSC competition, winning a couple Area matches and placing 7th in Production (and second American to Mr. Sevigny) at the 2002 IPSC World Championships with the USP9.  Of course I wasn't the best Production shooter in USPSA (my specialty is in NRA Action and precision shooting), but I state this only to demonstrate that in skilled hands and properly set up. the USP9 is competitive with other platforms.  I never had issues with these pistols other than a few broken springs, a broken firing pin, and a bad trigger bar, in well over 180,000 rounds.  Not everyone can run each platform such as the Glock equally well with other guns.  I urge the OP to follow his instincts and shoot what he likes and has confidence in.  -Bruce
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 10:01:03 PM EDT
[#8]
If you are doing very well against other platforms, and shooting the USPc, I'd say keep the USPc going.  IDPA is "suppose" to be about practical carrying while doing competition, so run what you might carry the most.  I did that with my M&P45, then M&P9, and will do so once I start back up with the current HK (USP45) I am carrying now.  The single action on the full size USPs are great for competition and will stay in the rules.
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 6:11:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
HKs in IDPA/USPSA shows you are part of the "more money than sense" crowd. 34 or MP9L are all you need, ready to run out of the box. You'll have a shorter learning curve using one of those pistols, parts, mags, holsters are cheaper.
View Quote

I'm sure you are just regurgitating the common sentiment, not coming up with an original idea.  So I'm not attacking you, I'm attacking the idea being put forth:

I've never understood this stupidity...especially for competition shooters.  You are talking the difference of spending $550 on a 34 or MP9, or $750 for a HK.  $200, that is more money than sense?  You are both going to spend $2000 on the ammo requirements to start to be proficient on either.  People who think this way are low IQ in my book, not looking at the big picture.  Gun costs are nothing compared to ammo costs, and for 99% of us either gun will operate at the same level of effectiveness as the other.  If you are already more proficient with one (HK, Glock, MP, etc) then just use that, the small difference in price in the long run doesn't mean diddly squat.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 5:53:09 PM EDT
[#10]
I shoot a usp9 in ipsc and idpa
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 6:22:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
HKs in IDPA/USPSA shows you are part of the "more money than sense" crowd. 34 or MP9L are all you need, ready to run out of the box.
View Quote

M&P triggers are simply horrible in stock config. Not everyone loves a Glock either & I own two of them & used to have two more.

Heaven forbid someone buys & uses a gun their instincts tell them that they would like......................  
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 6:28:11 AM EDT
[#12]
I say it depends on your reasoning for shooting in the match. If you are strictly there to compete, the striker fired do seem to have a slight edge all else being equal. I agree though that if you already shoot the USP and are comfortable with it, stick with it, especially if you carry one for off duty or defense etc. I shot IDPA for a while and used my issued gun and equipment. I did fine with it. No I wasnt whipping the "race gun guys" but I was getting great practice with what I carried everyday in the real world. There are alot of things you can do to give you an edge, I say figure out what your purpose is and go from there.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 1:49:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Exactly my reasoning, I shoot with my carry gun either my HK P2000SK light lem or my HK4c light lem not some special 3lb trigger / 5 " barrel 1911/ STI race gun, I know it's supposed to be a Game but I don't care for games also sometimes I don't play by their silly rules and get procedurals  

Quoted:
I say it depends on your reasoning for shooting in the match. If you are strictly there to compete, the striker fired do seem to have a slight edge all else being equal. I agree though that if you already shoot the USP and are comfortable with it, stick with it, especially if you carry one for off duty or defense etc. I shot IDPA for a while and used my issued gun and equipment. I did fine with it. No I wasnt whipping the "race gun guys" but I was getting great practice with what I carried everyday in the real world. There are alot of things you can do to give you an edge, I say figure out what your purpose is and go from there.
View Quote

Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top