Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Posted: 5/10/2002 7:35:47 PM EDT
I'm liking the looks of them so far, but haven't checked one out. Just wondering if anyone has them, and what their overall impression of them is.

I know they are very expensive, but if built as well as my USP, I think I may be able to overlook the cost to have one of these fairly rare creatures.

Please give me some input.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 3:10:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought a NIB sp89 about a year ago, and have shot it several times.  The gun is unbelievably well-made.  The quality is excellent.  The recoil is practically nothing, making follow-up shots very easy.

HOWEVER, I took the necessary steps to add the collapsable stock and k grip.  It now is basically an MP5K-PDW.  Without the stock, the gun is difficult to aim, and accuracy varies from outing to outing.  WITH the stock, the thing shoots beautifully.  Very controllable and accurate.  If you've got the money and the ability to add a stock, I highly suggest picking one up!
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 8:02:14 PM EDT
[#2]
JAFO, what niche in your defensive arsenal will the SP89 fill? Is it just the outright cool factor?

If you're buying the '89, you're really getting a short barreled 9mm carbine, right? You don't even get the advantage of the higher velocity you'd get out of a longer barreled HK94 or something. To me the SP89 seems like a compromise between a high velocity, hard hitting .223 carbine for CQB/home defense work, and a USP9F that is concealable and easily as accurate as the SP89. It seems to me like the SP89 wouldn't be able to do either job as well as the weapons I named.

Don't let me rain on your parade, though. If you have the means, it is a cool piece.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 2:37:05 AM EDT
[#3]
My defense is already covered. I just want to add a semi-auto version of a subgun to my collection, or a similar type of gun. My first thought was a TEC-9 or TEC-22, but I have very strong doubts about the quality there ;) I am a firm believer in "cool factor" too :) I was eyeing up HK 94's, but they aren't that much cheaper than an SP89. If I don't end up with an SP89, I probably will end up with an Olympic OA-98. I like H&K quality so far and I'm thinking that even though over priced, they will hold their value more than a lot of others.

Might be a while before I get one though. Unemployment checks don't add up too fast ;)

Edited because: too is spelled too ;)
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 2:06:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Once you get pass the cool factor, which it most definitely has, you are left with a very large, heavy, cumbersome 9mm handgun with expensive and hard to find parts and accessories.  Adding a stock to it crosses into C III territory, which in Iowa anyway is just not done.  

Its been quite awhile since I've seen one.  What's the going rate on these things anymore, two grand?  

They're cool but not that cool.

Link Posted: 5/16/2002 6:18:26 AM EDT
[#5]
I have an SP89, so I am a little biased.  Before I got it, I did some research on various sites (hkpro.com, etc.) to see what others thought.  Most of the responses seemed to fall into two different categories.  People that liked them and people that thought they were a waste of money.

My advice, buy it if you want it and have the money.  They are a lot of fun to shoot and are very reliable.  That, and they look really cool.

I don't have a problem with buying "impractical" guns.  If I only were buying for practicality I would probably only have two guns, a bolt action rifle for deer hunting and some type of pistol for home defense.  The problem is that military style firearms are fun to shoot and I have ended up with the SP89 and several AR's.

Is the price high?  Sure, but there are a limited amount in this country and no more are being imported.  Personally, I don't have mind spending money on guns.  I have friends that spend money on things that I would consider a waste (classic cars, HDTV, etc), but it is their money.

I would rather have the MP5K-PDW, but that is not an option in MI, so I went with second best.  There is always the possibility that MI may become a class III state.  If that happens, I will pick up a registered auto sear and get all the good stuff ; )
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 2:40:45 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Once you get pass the cool factor, which it most definitely has, you are left with a very large, heavy, cumbersome 9mm handgun with expensive and hard to find parts and accessories.  Adding a stock to it crosses into C III territory, which in Iowa anyway is just not done.  

Its been quite awhile since I've seen one.  What's the going rate on these things anymore, two grand?  

They're cool but not that cool.

If you find one for two grand, definitely let me know about it ;)

Edited to add:

Oh, and if you thought they weren't cool for $2000, you should have bought some then, because now I'm only seeing them for $3000-4500. I agree about not buying only "practical" guns. What is the practicality of a .50 cal? I will probably get one of those some day too, but that's low on my priority list :) I'm pretty sure I'll get an SP89, but I'm going to wait until I find one of those "deals you can't pass up."
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 6:20:28 AM EDT
[#7]
An SP-89 isn't exactly "impractical".  Yes, it may border on it, and is definately an "excess" at $4K, but they do have uses.  You can lay alot of lead down with one of these.  Their higher weight and design allow much better control than a handgun with the same capacity mag.  They are maginally concealable.

Throw in a registered sear pack and you have an MP-5K.  Same effect as above, just won't wear out your finger as fast.

They are nice guns, but their cost is so outrageous nowdays that most buyers have a specific idea in mind when they buy one.  Investment, class three, etc.

If you have the dough, go for it.

Ross
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 8:18:58 AM EDT
[#8]
you can even get a holster for it... www.blade-tech.com  they make holsters for the SP89
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top