Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Posted: 8/22/2013 7:15:41 AM EDT
I took my USP Tactical out to the range recently and had FTF issues. Ammo was predominantly 230 gr PPU ball ammo from Walmart. Almost every mag I would get at least one FTF about the middle of the mag. It did this with 3 different mags. I thought it was an ammo issue so I tried to replicate it with some Winchester white box and it happened again once in a 50 rd box.

Pistol is 6 years old and has about 2K+ rounds through it. I replaced the mag springs a few years ago. What do y'all think (ammo, mags, springs, extractor)? This has me concerned since this is my HD gun. Pics below of what the jam looks like.

Link Posted: 8/22/2013 12:23:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Highly suggest you cross post over on HKPro.com.  Several HK experts over there that will give you some valuable feedback.
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 12:49:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I had that happen with WWB in my 40 USP a lot. I changed my mag springs to better springs and it fixed it.  Is that your problem I'm not sure.  Wouldn't hurt to try if its as old as you state.  Check the OAL of the rounds that FTF.  May be a bit long.
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 4:02:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks. I think you may be right. I experimented with slowly racking the slide on empty mags and they all failed to lock the slide. Normal racking worked fine. Guess I'll buy new springs as a first step.
Link Posted: 8/22/2013 5:11:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Forgive me for asking, but how clean is the gun? Has the extractor been lightly cleaned with a toothbrush?
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 5:52:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Forgive me for asking, but how clean is the gun? Has the extractor been lightly cleaned with a toothbrush?
View Quote

I'd say it had 100-200 rounds on it since the last cleaning. I just thoroughly cleaned it again and ordered some Wolff +10% springs. If the springs are the problem I'm kind of disappointed. I have replaced the mag springs once already since I bought it and it hasn't had that many rounds through it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 3:24:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm leaning towards doubtful that it's mag spring related, IMO.

Has anyone else field stripped the gun & checked it out? Anyone else shot it?
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 5:14:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Were the mags seated fully & properly?  Maybe some debris or something they're getting hung up on that's very minor that you wouldn't notice unless you really looked close?

What's your recoil spring assembly look like?  Still in good shape?

Also, have you had the light on it for a long time?  Maybe some weird weight issue.  Just more things to look at.
Link Posted: 8/26/2013 6:22:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Mag springs are more of an issue than people may think.  I've seen the spring installed upside down in the mag cause FTF issues.  People take them apart to clean them and accidentally put them in upside down.  Big issues.

You won't believe how much of an improvement new mag springs can be - especially if you keep your mags loaded all the time.  I recently rebuilt 2 of my original factory 10 round mags for my USP .45 that's 14 years old and wow what a difference.  I'm going to rebuild all 6.  I also replaced my mag release spring, and upgraded my firing pin and firing pin block and springs to the new style.  The extractor may need to be removed and cleaned as well.  If you've never removed the roll pin in the slide and removed the extractor to clean behind it prepare for a surprise.  There will be a lot of nasty junk in there that at some point can cause issues with extraction.
Link Posted: 9/2/2013 6:46:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

A bit off topic -
For what it's worth, I'm in the middle of an experiment with my 5 year old .45 Tactical. Since mine is not my EDC, I decided to see how many rounds I could put through it without failure. The current count as of yesterday is 1,250 It's pretty gacked up , but not a single failure of any kind and it's still a tack driver.

ETA: I did change the barrel O ring at 300 rounds since it was already long overdue.
Link Posted: 9/2/2013 7:51:35 AM EDT
[#10]
That looks like a mag spring issue to me. The spring is not pushing the follower and bullets up fast enough and the slide is feeding the bullet when it's not properly aligned. I've had it happen before, a spring change fixes it.

You may also consider replacing the recoil spring. If it is weak the gun will cycle too fast and the mag won't be able to keep up.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 6:58:29 AM EDT
[#11]
If its that old, get some wolff magazine springs.

The factory HK springs from that era are, well, junk.  Im guessing you keep those magazines loaded.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 8:11:23 AM EDT
[#12]
The .45acp PPU ammo I have shot seemed a little weak.  Try some other brands and see if you have the same issue.  Replacing the mag springs probably wouldn't be a bad idea.
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top