Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2005 11:55:50 AM EDT
Hello, everyone. I just wanted to tell my HK customer service experience. I called today because I had one of the magazine followers for my USP 45 fullsize crack apart (who know why, it wasnt very used I only have about 400 rds through the pistol). Anyway, i talked with HK they said they couldnt send out or sale a single small part such as that, very rude also, to check with a local dealer. The only local dealer I have is an A$$ who you cannot count on to order anything. I informed the man I spoke with at HK of that. THen this guy gives me a number to call to order HK spare parts. I call them explain my situation and another rude girl who sounded like she was about 15 years old said the follower was out of stock would be ordered from HK and then sent to me for a cost of 7.50.  When I ask the shipping cost she sighed real big and replied in an exasperated voice it was 4.95 like I was not important enough to be bothered with. So, having no other choice I ordered the follower. I cant get one any other way. Now, I was polite, didnt get rude or even complain with them, but the point is I was treated poorly over a stinking plastic follower that I know they have by the millions. In this instance, I feel sure SIG would have sent me a new follower for free, or even if I did pay for it they would have been much nicer and more gracious about it. Of course a follower is no big deal and I can afford the price, but i will not tollerate the treatment. They will get nomore of my business, ever. I am sure they will get along just fine without my business, but i will also get along just fine without the poor treatment.  Hell, if I wanted someone around to treat me like I am unimportant or an aggravation I'd get married!  As a matter of fact, I am thinking of trading in my USP for a Sig now. Ok, rant is off, thank you for listening, I feel better.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 2:02:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Sorry to hear you had a bad experience...it can happen with pretty much all companies, but I have heard that H&K does not have the best reputation around for cheery and efficient service. Still, I can remember when you had to call Sig and wait...and wait...for Mable in Parts if you needed a part...but she was a happy soul once she made it to the phone!

I don't know that I would boycott their entire line myself, but I would write or email their President in the US...or even Germany...and complain. You would be surprised at how few people have the balls to intercept mail addressed to the Big Cheese of a company. I do not know any names but you DO need a name and/or email addy! Don't bother sending to "The President of H&K" because it won't get there.

I once sent an email to Michael Dell and got a phone call from his personal secretary the next week! Stranger things have happened!

BTW Sig does, in fact, make an excellent product.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 3:15:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Here is the way I handled two similar situations.  After the ban died I bought several full cap .45 mags.  A week or two later I noticed the floor plate on one was split and was coming off.  I took off the floor plate, put it in a padded envelope with a letter stating what had happened, and sent it to HK CS for replacement but also offering to buy it if there would be any charge.  Then, just forget about it for a month or so.  About 3 weeks later a new floor plate showed up, no charge, no invoice, no anything, just a floor plate.  Made me happy as a clam.
Before the above I had a USC mag in which the follower was binding and actually broke off the plastic around the steel liner in the feed lips when the follower first bound and then released.  Same thing.  Sent it to them with a letter of explanation, three or four weeks later a new mag showed up.
They have one CS guy working there and he is overwhelmed.  I have found it best to not call them unless it is absolutely necessary.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 4:58:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Big Bore - sounds like a good approach to achieving your goal.

I was dreading the phone call to HK CS I am going to have to make about one of brand new USP .45 mags. One of my mags seems to hang up when depressing the mag release. At first I thought it was a break in thing when i first bought the USP .45...then I though maybe I am not depressing the mag release properly..now I have narrowed it down to a problem with just one mag. I can not get it to eject unless i press it up into the magwell first and then depress the release button.  Any thoughts on a fix before I send it to HK CS.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 5:01:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Big-Bore, I sent a magazine for a USP Tactical that was coming apart on the welds, I don't know if you remember me posting about the wait on HKpro or not, but sure enough, it came on the day that you said it would free of charge. I just need some 12 rounders now.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 5:14:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, I remember that, I think.  That was the mag that some guy might have stepped on wasn't it and the welds split?  Even the best made things have oh-ohs now and then and I am glad you got your new one.    

Regarding the mag hanging up.  I have scratched my head for a bit over that and I can not come up with anything really good.  The only thing I can think of is an abnormal cut on the magazine latch or a mis-placed cut.  If there are no obvious burrs on the mag latch area (on the mag itself) I doubt there is anything you can do yourself.  If you do feel a rough edge on the mag latch shelf on the mag you could try stoning the burrs off or using some 400 grit wet-dry to lightly buff the burrs off.  Don't over-do it though.
If you cannot feel any burrs I woud try writing a very detailed letter as you did here explaining just exactly what happens and return the mag with the letter to HK-USA Customer Service.  If you can, try it in another pistol and see if it hangs up on it also.  That would rule out a problem in the pistol, and if you try it in another pistol and it does hang up, be sure to mention that in the letter.  
Above all else, be so nice you letter could melt butter.  Nothing gets your problem put on the bottom of the stack faster than a rant.  In your letter you might start off with a statement about wishing Mark a speedy recovery from his injury and being glad he is back on the job.  Even if he does not see the letter the person who does see it will at least see that you are interested in more than just getting your problem fixed and that you have an understanding of the difficult time HK CS has been going through.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 5:19:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Tucson PD was the largest single users of the USP pistol a few years back. They had some issues with the pistols and poor factory support and as a result are switching to Glocks as their budget allows.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 7:02:34 PM EDT
[#7]
If you are going to boycott them...

Just inform them that you will refuse to be shot by a JBT who happens to carry one of their firearms.

If you boycott the system, refuse to be a user of their products, either on the user end or the receiver end. Just tell the agent on the other end of the MP5 that he'll just have to use the Springfield .45 instead. Shouldn't really be a problem for him - unless you get Lon Hourchi.....
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:09:37 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
If you are going to boycott them...

Just inform them that you will refuse to be shot by a JBT who happens to carry one of their firearms.

If you boycott the system, refuse to be a user of their products, either on the user end or the receiver end. Just tell the agent on the other end of the MP5 that he'll just have to use the Springfield .45 instead. Shouldn't really be a problem for him - unless you get Lon Hourchi.....

Funny.
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top