Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Posted: 9/21/2004 10:41:24 AM EDT
I am considering purchasing an H&K USP .45
I am not sure if I should buy the standard full sized or spend the extra $ and get the Expert model
Its primary role will be home defense
Eventually I would like to shoot in the local practical shooting league and some local IDPA matches.

1. Is the Expert a "practical choice" of home defense?

2. Is it worth the extra expense? ($700 difference)

3. Should I have any modifications done to it?
    a. Night Sites
    b. trigger work
    c. any accessories (lights and such)

4. Any dealers on the web you would recommend?

All thoughts and comments are welcome.

Thank you

The Bald Monk
Semper Gumby

http://wayofthebaldmonk.net/avatar/master.jpg
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 1:34:35 PM EDT
[#1]
No, IMO the difference in $$$ NOT worth it. SHould you be shooting match ammo in matches, then yes. Otherwise, no.

FWIW, I own 2 USPs.

My .o2
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 3:50:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I am considering purchasing an H&K USP .45
I am not sure if I should buy the standard full sized or spend the extra $ and get the Expert model
Its primary role will be home defense A standard USP variant that fits you will more than accommodate your described role for this firearm.
Eventually I would like to shoot in the local practical shooting league and some local IDPA matches. Again, the USP will fit the bill, Bill, ummm, err, Bald.

1. Is the Expert a "practical choice" of home defense?It is all preference.

2. Is it worth the extra expense? ($700 difference) 'If' it is worth it to you, spend it, it is your dollars.

3. Should I have any modifications done to it?
    a. Night Sites I prefer Meprolight night sights but, YMMV.
    b. trigger workI would recommend you using the UPS as is for a while, then perhaps upgrading the trigger to a match unit if you are so inclinded.
    c. any accessories (lights and such)Depending upon your hand size, a Hogue Handall.

4. Any dealers on the web you would recommend? Phil Flack @  [email protected]

All thoughts and comments are welcome.I have a dozen USP 45's, IMO, you cannot go wrong with these firearms. YMMV.

Thank you

The Bald Monk
Semper Gumby
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:40:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Get the USP fullsize. Its accurate enough to blow holes in a bad guy at 25m without much trouble.

Practice makes perfect....the expert is a "toy" IMHO. The tactical on the other hand....thats a serious instrument.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:35:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Guys

Thanks for the feedback.
Should I consider getting a Tactical instead of  the Expert?
What would be the advantages of the Tactical over the standard full size?

Thanks

The Bald Monk
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:57:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Different sights, threaded & non-threaded barrels & slightly different trigger groups are all that differ the Expert & Tactical, IIRC. Maybe a different hammer bob?

Buy the cheaper model & spend the difference on ammo & practice. You'll never look back, IMO.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:39:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Thank you all for your responses and thoughts.
I shot a friend's USPF .45 today and it was a blast.
At this time I am going to purchase the USPF .45 and not the tactical.
I plan to spend the difference between the two weapons on ammo and shooting classes.
The USPF is a far better weapon than I am a shooter.
It is my skill and not the HK hardware that needs improvement.
I will be getting some night sights but not a weapon mounted light.
Since we have 2 kids in the house and 1 more on the way, I will rely on a traditional flashlight for target identification.
This will be my first HK purchase but I am sure it won’t be my last.
Any body know where to get an SL8-1?

Thank you
The Bald Monk
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:37:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I've got the USP45F variant 1.  On a good today, such as today, I can do 1 inch groups of 5 rounds at 15 yards with this pistol.  I'm sure the Expert is a smidge more accurate, but unless you are going to be competing, I'd go with the regular fullsize.  Also, from what I have read, the Expert slide doesn't cycle as fast as a regular fullsize.  I would think this would have a negative effect on speed shooting.  My best friend and shooting buddy has the Tactical.  While so far he treats it as a safegun, I've gotten to fondle the Tactical a few times and have had occasion to shoot someone else's.  Again, I prefer the USP over the Tactical because of the sight height.  All in all, you really can't go wrong with a regular USP.  I have about 3K on mine and I have never had a problem with reliability.  As I mentioned, I find the gun extremely accurate for what it is.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 10:58:10 PM EDT
[#8]
I have an Expert, it is an awesome gun, and I've shoot my buddy's standard USP, and theyare both nice. The trigger in the Expert is better than the standard, the Expert's adjustable sights are nice, and plus it has a slight longer barrel. The only reason, I bought my Expert because I got it for a real good price. If I had to pay the regular prices, I would've definitely got the standard USP.
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top