Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Posted: 3/3/2010 1:46:53 PM EDT
Do certain manufacturers make them that way or smiths mill the sides to heighten them?  Sorry I don't have any pics.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 12:59:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Really?!  Nobody knows what I'm talking about?

Link Posted: 3/5/2010 1:09:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Really?!  Nobody knows what I'm talking about?

Nope.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 5:59:05 PM EDT
[#3]
You mean like less contour on the front strap and dustcover?

Springfield made them like that for awhile. Here are the 2 Loaded's I have. Older on on the top.

Link Posted: 3/6/2010 11:12:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Damn.   Guess I'll have to hunt down some pics.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 9:58:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Are you talking about a high wall on the right side?  As in a side without a lowered ejection port?
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 1:09:12 PM EDT
[#6]
No.  I'm beginning to wonder if it's an optical illusion caused by camera angle.  I'm going to have to dig through my archives for an olllllld gun magazine featuring the name and a sample pic of every non-basement 1911-smith in the US.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 2:51:35 PM EDT
[#7]
OK you heathens, this is a very basic explanation as I learned it.  Early GI model 1911's were made with a higher walled ejection port like the first photo.  True replicas generally have this type of port.  It worked (works) well and was/is reliable, with some caveats.  It slings brass at your head/face every so often and it sometimes would ding the brass on ejection.  The brass damage was typical and common, but not every gun did it, some only did it sometimes, etc.  Similarly, if there was damage, it could range anywhere from a small ding in the side of the case all the way up to splitting and denting of the neck.  When 1911's became popular with competition shooters and civilians that reloaded, lowering and flaring of the port was their solution.  The higher wall was designed to keep crud out of the military firearm since it was generally on someones hip while crawling through all kinds of mud, sand, etc.

The second photo shows the more modern lower walled ejection port to fling brass more laterally and uniformly.  The port is also flared at the rear of to prevent the dinging of brass.

i
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 4:04:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Do certain manufacturers make them that way or smiths mill the sides to heighten them?

You need to check your terminology.

What do you mean by "heighten"?

Milling removes metal, so the only thing a mill can do is lower an ejection port.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:13:32 PM EDT
[#9]
You can't add to the slide after it has already been cut.  What you are refering to is a standard ejection port rather than lowered and flared ejection port.  All slides start out with standard ejection ports.  Then they are sometimes milled down to open them up a little to allow easier ejection patterns.  The high wall as you call it is a standard GI cut slide.  The low wall is lowered and the little bevel at the rear of the ejection port is a flare cut.

A Springfield GI model or Colt WWI repro has a standard ejection port.  
A Colt series 80 basic model has a lowered ejection port.  
A Springfield loaded model or most of the higher end guns have a lowered and flared ejection port.

Once the slide has the ejection port lowered or flared then it can never be put back to GI spec.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:21:35 PM EDT
[#10]
OR is the OP talking about the radius of the top of the slide to the flats?
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 11:10:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
OR is the OP talking about the radius of the top of the slide to the flats?

yes

The posts on ejection ports are pointless.  I have only seen pics of these pistols from the opposite side.  The only ways a smith could "heighten" the flats would be to mill (plane them) the sides, either flat or at an angle, to reduce the amount of top/radius visible from a profile view, or they could mill the top down.  Of course such a beast could be manufactured as well.   Without the damn picture, it's about impossible to describe.  I'll try to get to my archives this weekend.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 11:38:38 AM EDT
[#12]
So are you talking about the rib on the top of my Gold Cup's slide or something bigger?
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top