BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2010 12:15:46 PM EDT
Government Model.
Serial # 28*** B 70
Blue..well what's left of the blue.
I picked up one at the local gun show today.
It's my 1st Colt.
So what do I actually have.
Thanks.
GTM1
Link Posted: 1/23/2010 2:04:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Government Model.
Serial # 28*** B 70
Blue..well what's left of the blue.
I picked up one at the local gun show today.
It's my 1st Colt.
So what do I actually have.
Thanks.
GTM1

Not trying to be a smartass...........but you pretty much told us what ya got: "Colt MKIV Series 70 Government Model"

Colt (they made it)
Government Model (as opposed to Commander Model which has a shorter length)
MKIV Series 70 (this series introduced the "collet" style barrel bushing that improves accuracy, but is somewhat fragile)

The MKIV Series 80 introduced the firing pin safety.
Link Posted: 1/23/2010 3:14:03 PM EDT
[#2]
How about age?
Number made?
Good pistol/bad pistol? Why?
BallPark value maybe?
Any other info besides the obvious...Captain.
Or do you go by whats stamped on the side of a pistol only or wouldn't like to know a little history of a gun you purchased.
I've done a search but most of what I came up with is vague.
So now unless you have something more constructive to add......
Thank you.
Link Posted: 1/23/2010 3:59:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
How about age?
Number made?
BallPark value maybe?
Or do you go by whats stamped on the side of a pistol only or wouldn't like to know a little history of a gun you purchased.
Thank you.

Looks to me like it was made in 1979.  That year there were 29008 made. Try this site Serial numbers  for serial number info. That model was made 1970 thru 1983.  I have one made in 1982 and paid $282 for it.  Still have it.  Based on your statement of condition, I'd put current vale at $600––>$700 assuming its unmodified and with no rust or corrosnioin.
Link Posted: 1/23/2010 4:47:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you.
I missed that in my search.
Any upgrades that need to be done? I mean I want to keep it stock but are there any issues I need to address?

Link Posted: 1/23/2010 6:18:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Thank you.
Any upgrades that need to be done? I mean I want to keep it stock but are there any issues I need to address?

The three finigered barrel bushing (aka collet bushing) has a reputation for breaking, although I've never known anyone, or read a posting from anyone that actually experienced it.  Its always someone who had a cousin who knew somebody,,,,,,,,,,,,    Anyway, one upgrade might be to replace the collet barrel bushing if it still has one with a collet bushing that hasn't already been changed   The pistol will be more accurate, but whether your personal shooting skills could take advantage of that are known only to you. Refinishing would enhance the appaearance, but would lessen its value.

The stock sights are awful and that is probably the most frequent upgrade, although again you lose the "stock" claim.  Safe with extended slide stop, thumb safety, beavertail, etc.  Grips can be changed out and you can keep the old ones to reinstall to recover the "original" status.

A trigger tuning might be in order by a competent 1911 smith and you'd retain the "original" status and have a much nicer pistol to shoot.  Thats about the only "improvement" you can do that will enhance its performance and not degrade its value.

Unless you send it to a Custom Gunbuilder for a total makeover ($2K+), anything you do to it peacemeal will lower the value over its current status, or at the very least not enhance its value one bit––on a resale.  If these changes/upgrades make the pistol more pleasurable to shoot, then its your pistol and you should go for it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2010 7:12:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for that info.
I just read about the bushing. www.sightm1911.com/lib/history/s70_colts.htm
So far from I can gather this is a late 70s or early 80s model.
I was fondling the pistol a few minutes ago.
I may leave the sights that are on it now, The rear is a Wilson Combat(fixed) with what I think is a matching front sight. Great site pic.
The finish is all but gone but no rust anywhere.
I won't have to worry about messing up the finish like I would with a factory new gun.
I'll see if I can some pics up tomorrow.
Again thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 1/23/2010 10:11:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
How about age? Call Colt. Give them the serial number they'll gladly look up the date of manufacture for free.

Number made? The Colt CSR might know that too.

Good pistol/bad pistol? Why? It's designed by John Browning, of course it's good.

BallPark value maybe? Eleventy billion. C'mon, without pics it's a wild assed guess. Value is highly related to cosmetic condition.

Any other info besides the obvious...Captain. You do know there is both a Colt and a 1911 forum on Arfcom?

Or do you go by whats stamped on the side of a pistol only or wouldn't like to know a little history of a gun you purchased. I know about the gun before I drop the $$$, I don't buy a pig in the poke and then ask the world what I got.

Link Posted: 1/23/2010 11:14:52 PM EDT
[#8]
I bought one little while back made in 70's.. Looked like new...... I paid 700 for it...  Just sold it for 700......enjoy !!! post some pics..

Link Posted: 1/24/2010 3:03:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
How about age? Call Colt. Give them the serial number they'll gladly look up the date of manufacture for free.
Obvious
Obvious
Good pistol/bad pistol? Why? It's designed by John Browning, of course it's good.
Debateable
BallPark value maybe? Eleventy billion. C'mon, without pics it's a wild assed guess. Value is highly related to cosmetic condition.
Obvious...I didn't ask for the actual value.Blue Book rateings and values would have been fine.
Any other info besides the obvious...Captain. You do know there is both a Colt and a 1911 forum on Arfcom?
Your point?
Or do you go by whats stamped on the side of a pistol only or wouldn't like to know a little history of a gun you purchased. I know about the gun before I drop the $$$, I don't buy a pig in the poke and then ask the world what I got.

I'm not completely uninformed about 1911s  but it does appear you are a complete ass.
I was looking to get more info from those who are more up on the subject  of Colt 1911s.  

If you aren't here to help please move on.
Link Posted: 1/24/2010 6:12:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Obvious
Obvious
Debateable
Obvious...I didn't ask for the actual value.Blue Book rateings and values would have been fine.
Your point?

I'm not completely uninformed about 1911s  but it does appear you are a complete ass.
I was looking to get more info from those who are more up on the subject  of Colt 1911s.  

If you aren't here to help please move on.

Sorry, I didn't intend to embarrass you.
Link Posted: 1/24/2010 5:53:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thank you.

The three finigered barrel bushing (aka collet bushing) has a reputation for breaking, although I've never known anyone, or read a posting from anyone that actually experienced it.  Its always someone who had a cousin who knew somebody,,,,,,,,,,,,    Anyway, one upgrade might be to replace the collet barrel bushing if it still has one with a collet bushing that hasn't already been changed   The pistol will be more accurate, but whether your personal shooting skills could take advantage of that are known only to you. Refinishing would enhance the appaearance, but would lessen its value.

The stock sights are awful and that is probably the most frequent upgrade, although again you lose the "stock" claim.  Same with extended slide stop, thumb safety, beavertail, etc.  Grips can be changed out and you can keep the old ones to reinstall to recover the "original" status.

A trigger tuning might be in order by a competent 1911 smith and you'd retain the "original" status and have a much nicer pistol to shoot.  Thats about the only "improvement" you can do that will enhance its performance and not degrade its value.

Unless you send it to a Custom Gunbuilder for a total makeover ($2K+), anything you do to it peacemeal will lower the value over its current status, or at the very least not enhance its value one bit––on a resale.  If these changes/upgrades make the pistol more pleasurable to shoot, then its your pistol and you should go for it.

Link Posted: 1/25/2010 8:45:54 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Thank you.

Magazines, ammo, trigger time.

Link Posted: 1/25/2010 8:47:22 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thank you.

The three four finigered barrel bushing (aka collet bushing) has a reputation for breaking, although I've never known anyone, or read a posting from anyone that actually experienced it.  Its always someone who had a cousin who knew somebody,,,,,,,,,,,,    Anyway, one upgrade might be to replace the collet barrel bushing if it still has one with a collet bushing that hasn't already been changed   The pistol will be more accurate, but whether your personal shooting skills could take advantage of that are known only to you. Refinishing would enhance the appaearance, but would lessen its value.

The stock sights are awful and that is probably the most frequent upgrade, although again you lose the "stock" claim.  Safe with extended slide stop, thumb safety, beavertail, etc.  Grips can be changed out and you can keep the old ones to reinstall to recover the "original" status.

Link Posted: 1/26/2010 2:23:00 PM EDT
[#14]
I hope to get to the range this weekend.
Link Posted: 1/27/2010 7:50:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Definitely looks like a shooter!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/2/2010 4:55:11 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How about age?

Number made?

BallPark value maybe?

Thank you.

Looks to me like it was made in 1979.  That year there were 29008 made. Try this site Serial numbers  for serial number info. That model was made 1970 thru 1983.  I have one made in 1982 and paid $282 for it.  Still have it.  Based on your statement of condition, I'd put current vale at $600––>$700 assuming its unmodified and with no rust or corrosnioin.

Back in the early 80's I bought a Colt .45 Model 88 Mark IV with Packman Arms hard rubber grips, it had been ramped and throated, had slotted sights and a knurled trigger w/ a 3.5 lb draw.  I paid $200 for it and ended up having to sell it about 10 years later for $400.  I *really* loved that gun and would like to replace it with something new just like it (Colt).  Any idea what that would end up costing me to put together today?

Link Posted: 4/3/2010 5:21:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Bought mine in 1976, NIB $299
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top