Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Posted: 2/16/2009 4:03:43 PM EDT
I don't own a .357 at this time and I understand that every American man should. So help me out here.

I have a Ruger Service Six on layaway at this time. Decent, not amazing, price. 95% condition, super smooth action. Probably been worked on at one time. What I like about it is the size, firstly, 4" barrel and way smaller than a S&W 686 or other comparable .357s out there. I like the blued finish over stainless steel; I like the fixed sights (all my non rimfire guns are fighting guns), and I like the bulletproof "built too tough" nature of the Rugers.

But today a guy I know tells me he's thinking of selling an old local PD auctioned Colt Lawman, .357, 4" barrel, blued. He says it has considerable holster wear, but if it's in sound mechanical shape I don't really care much about the finish. I could probably get it for less than I would be paying for the Ruger.

However, I've never handled a Lawman and only a handful of Colt wheelguns ever. So, fill me in on the gritty details. I know this is the Colt forum, but is it a better gun than the Service Six? Are they comparable in size and feel? Strength? Does the rampant pony on the side actually make me shoot better?

Also seems there are few pics out on the Web of these revolvers. Any proud owners here want to share some Lawman photograph love with me?

Thanks in advance, gents!
Link Posted: 2/23/2009 6:58:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Hmmm... I am, by no means, an expert in wheel guns. In fact, the only revolver I own is a Colt Lawman. They aren't a real pretty gun, but I've put several hundred .38 spcl and very few .357 rounds through the weapon. It shoots VERY straight and is built TOUGH. I've looked for different grips, something a little softer, such a black rubber, and there aren't ANY out there (only pachmyer presentation grips). I'd probably stick with the Ruger. just my .02
Link Posted: 2/23/2009 7:00:02 PM EDT
[#2]
P.S.... I will work on getting a pic to upload.
Link Posted: 3/11/2009 9:51:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I replaced the bulky target grips on mine with the pachmayr rubber ones, they are much more comfortable.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 12:57:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a 2" lawman. Somebody bobbed the trigger but did a first rate job. I paid $225 for it. Grips are small but it fits in my pocket perfect. I used to carry my glock all the time but with this i can carry in my pocket and no one is none the wiser. Fit and finish are nice. I will take some pictures later on today.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 2:47:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I just looked at a lawman with a 2" barrel.  It was very nice and had an excellent trigger.  They wanted $375 for it with some slight and tiny rust spots.  Not a collector, but certainly a shooter.  Substantial, but not heavy, with a very good trigger and a good pointing to it.  Had a good upright feeling grip.  I passed, as I wanted something with target sights and not a trench.

I think they are a trooper with trench sights essentially.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 9:47:28 AM EDT
[#6]
here it be

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 3:05:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Here is a photo of My 2" lawman I just aquired about 6 weeks ago . I really am confident in this weapon and have added some Pachmyr grips .
.....WVleo
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top