Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Site Notices
Posted: 11/17/2008 6:55:56 AM EDT
Has anyone sent their Colt 1911 to Wilson Combat for work done, polish feed ramp, extractor tuned, put on a polymer finish etc?  Just wondering because I'm thinking of sending a new 1991 into them and have it worked on.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 11:43:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I guess nobody has.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 3:25:46 AM EDT
[#2]
I would repost in "handguns" or "1911" forum. Most people who contribute to this thread prefer their Colts in stock condition or sent off to a full house smith. One thing I would advise is that you make sure you have a complete understanding with them about whether refinishing will be needed and whether it is covered in your estimate.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 5:30:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Wilson Combat will not re-blue your Colt.  They use this Armor-tuff coating after they do the work you request on your pistol.  I prefer bluing so I decided to skip any work by them.
I had Wilson do some work on my 1911 series 80 years ago & was happy with their work.  Now I wanted a few more things done but because they don't do bluing I would have to send it back to Colt.  Too much money & time.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 5:39:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Hi,

What do you mean by a full house smith?  I thought Wilson Combat was?

B
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 4:49:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Bill Wilson had established his reputation as a full house smith: a smith who took a Colt host gun and customized it to his customer's precise specifications. Wilson later built his own guns on Colt frames, then made his own line of pistols on "Wilson" frames. The guys at Wilson can do a full house custom for a customer, but I would classify them as a semi-custom outfit, since the bulk of their revenue comes from the sale of their semicustom pistol line. A typical example of a full house smith is a gunsmith who derives the bulk of his revenue customizing a customer's host gun to a one-of-a-kind work of art.
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 7:53:45 AM EDT
[#6]
OK...I get your meaning.  Now all I want is the ejection port opened up so the spent shells don't fly out in a different location ( like in my face & in my hat, etc. ) and the mag well opened up.  Originally I had this plastic mag well put on ( $6.95 ) but it loosens up during firing and sometimes blocks the mag from coming out.  Would also love the front stray checked so I can dump the rubber finger groove grips and put some ivory or stay grips on......I'm in Arizona if you know of any smiths capable?
Plus, I want it reblued.  I don't like that armor-tuff dull looking stuff!

Bruce
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top