Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Site Notices
Posted: 7/29/2008 6:02:16 AM EDT
I am new to Colt 1911's and thinking of trying a new Gold Cup. Anything in particular I should look for ? How's the quality, accuracy, customer service? Thanks
Link Posted: 8/3/2008 10:48:23 PM EDT
[#1]
The title "Gold Cup" covers 60 years or so of production and several different distinct models--pre 70 Series, 70 Series, Trophy, etc. up to the present time. What little knowledge I have applies to the 70 Series, but it sounds like you're looking at current production, NIB. If that's the case, you might note that, and the comments you will get will address any issues with the current production. In general, I think the new production pistols are considered fine examples, although I don't think that Colt Customer Service compares with their principal competition, SA.
Link Posted: 8/4/2008 8:13:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Thank You for your response. Yes, I am contemplating a new (NIB) current version of the Gold Cup.
Link Posted: 8/4/2008 9:30:11 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Thank You for your response. Yes, I am contemplating a new (NIB) current version of the Gold Cup.

You might want to go to www.1911forum.com, and specifically the Colt Forum.  There's a "sticky" at the top of the thread list which describes the differences between the Series 80 (current production configuration) and the 70 Series and prior (original John Browning design) in terms of the firing pin safety which is the biggest difference between the new and older Colts.  If you already know all of this, then disregard.  There's lots of general info on Colts and all of the competing brands. Since the whole Forum is dedicated to the 1911 and its variants, the info tends to be a little more detailed than more generalized discussions like this.  
Link Posted: 8/4/2008 5:17:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I can't speak for the current standard production models.  I have a Colt Talo Gold Cup (about $500 more than the standard).  I think it's an excellent gun.  Tight and accurate.  High gloss blue finish and a display case.  It may be more than what you want, but I think it's worth the extra $$.  No standard factory gun will look this nice.  These are available on Gun Broker in the $1250 range.  But they only made 300, so you may want to get one while you can.

National Match Royal Gold Cup (TALO)

Link Posted: 8/4/2008 5:34:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I own a stainless steel Gold Cup.  I would never have bought it if it were not the "enhanced" model.  I don't think they make these any longer.  

"Enhanced" meant there were some custom cuts done on the frame - undercutting the trigger guard, beavertail grip safety, ...  It wasn't much but it makes all the difference in the world to me in terms of how it feels in my hand.  I would not have purchased one without it.  

The TALO does not have the "enhanced" features.

What would I do, you ask?  I'd buy a purpose-built gun.  What do you want it for?  Is it for self defense, bullseye pistol shooting, IDPA/USPSA,...?

Link Posted: 8/5/2008 5:28:13 AM EDT
[#6]
It would not be a carry piece. I carry IWB and a 5 inch barrel doesn't work well for me. I just think a GC would be a nice addition to my small collection of handguns and it would see occasional range use. It would definatly be a shooter. And when I go, I think my son would appreciate owning a little piece of American history.
Link Posted: 8/5/2008 7:45:05 AM EDT
[#7]
If Colt heritage and tradition are an issue, I'd give some thought to an original 70 Series GCNM which are still available at semi-reasonable prices, i.e. less that $1K, and are good shooters.  While these are not exactly collectors items yet, they are the last of the original John Browning configurations and might retain vaue a ittle better than the current contempory Colt products.  I'm establishing a poor-mans collection of 70 Series and before Colts and while they are not "better" firearms than their contemporary breathern, they do retain a certain degree of originality which the modern versions do not, and probably never will.
Link Posted: 8/5/2008 2:13:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I was told the only difference between GCs and the regular production Colt 1911 is the adjustable sight(Ellisaon) and the adjustable trigger. Years ago, they used to be more accurate than the other production 1911s, but I don't really know that for sure.
Link Posted: 8/5/2008 9:13:53 PM EDT
[#9]
My rear sight (and front sight) proved to be very unreliable.  The rear sight is held in with a very small roll pin.  This pin fractures where it comes out of the sight leaf and enters the frame.  This happened several times to me.  This usually results in rear sight movement, loss of zero and possibly even falling off the pistol during firing.  <-- bad jujuj, that.

My front sight was merely staked on and continually loosened during use and once flew off during firing.  It was so bad, I bought and carry a front sight staking tool in my kit and have at least one spare front sight in the bag, too.  

I have subsequently purchased a new slide assembly with dovetailed Novak sights (front and rear).

Like I said, buy a purpose-built gun.  If you just want a shooter, buy a Kimber or other well-respected maker of good out-of-the-box pistols.
Link Posted: 8/9/2008 1:42:17 AM EDT
[#10]
The series 70 Gold Cup has an enlaged ejection port and a solid rib on the slide in addition to the other features listed above. I purchased mine in 1977 and have more than 15,000 rounds through it with nothing more than regular replacement of the recoil spring and a new link and pin in 31 years of shooting.
Link Posted: 8/20/2008 7:11:14 PM EDT
[#11]
I know there is quite a quality difference between the early-mid 70s Gold Cups and early 80s. I had two earlier ones which were great. Examined a brand new early 80s in a gunshop at that time and YUK. Rougher than a cob, tough trigger, mag didn't want to come out and the slide wouldn't stay open.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 6:22:15 AM EDT
[#12]
twenty years ago i turned twenty one ( you can figure out how old i am now) i was going back and forth between a python and a stainless gold up series 80. i went with the gold cup. with in 1000 rounds the frame/slide got very loose so i took it to Lou (pistol smith of the year) at maryland gun works. he performed an accuracy job- tightened frame to slide- solid match fitted bushing etc...with 200 gr swc and 2.2 grains of bulls eye it would shoot ragged hole groups off hand at 20 yards. the issue with the gold cup is their rear sight, the pin always comes loose on the ellison- pain in the ass. after another 1500 rounds frame/slide was loose again...

i now own a les baer premier 2, no comparision fit finish is vastly superior to anyting colt ever turned out- any series.

i bought my bro a kimber tle, this is a fantastic gun for 800 bucks...tight frame to slide shoots as well as my les baer. if i wanted a new 1911 i would get a kimber, if i had 1500 to spend i would get a les baer.  
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top