Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2003 6:18:59 AM EDT
I have a series 70 Nickel Combat Commander.  It has a blued thumb safety and a blued barrel.  Are these parts possibly original to the pistol.  My brother bought it in the early 80's.  It was mfg. in 1974.  Just curious.  I am searching for a nickel saftey release, but if blued could be original, I want to leave it that way.  It just does not look right.  Here's a pic, well, how do I add a pic?
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 10:47:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Colt made 'em both ways...I have seen several like you describe as well as many more with everything satin nickled.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 5:54:34 AM EDT
[#2]
I had a few full sized series '70s where the frame and slide were nickeled and most of the other moving parts were blued...I don't recall the slidestop not being blued too. [:\]
I think the barrels were completly nickeled too, including the chamber/hood area.
Nickeled parts are getting harder to find, usually only in SS or blue anymore.
I understand you want to keep it original, or maybe just a blue slidestop would "balance" out the look.
The majority, if not all, Commanders I remember seeing in nickel, were done in total nickel, but the full sized model, having had a few, I do remember being "peppered".
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top