Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2003 6:37:43 PM EDT
Help...I'm trading this gun for another, but need a little reassurance on it's value.....give me your estimates on what it's worth.

Here's the down and dirty..it's a very good condition, with minor wear from being in a cardboard box, 1911A1 Colt made in 1944.  It's parkerized, with all original parts still on it I'm told.  It comes with a parkerized magazine that is darker on the bottom 2/3's than the top.  It is included with receipt papers from the US Gov't US Army Red River Depot in Texarkana, Texas, selling it to an individual for $12.50.  From what I was told , the person who bought it, carried in while in the service as well.  It also has the government packing paper and cardboard box with postage/address labels that it was shipped in.

AA and GHD proof marks on it.

Any ideas??

Shaun
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 4:17:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Extremely NICE piece! Decades ago, these were fairly common, but almost never with box and all papers, etc. The mag alone is fairly hard to find in good condition, and is probably from a 1911. Don't let it go if you can help it...you will never replace it, that I guarantee! As for "worth", collectors' stuff varies a lot, and I am certainly no collector, but this had GOT to be worth at least a grand to someone out there...very possibly more...the trick is to find that someone at the same time that he has money enough to buy...not always easy.

What 'cha trading for?
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 5:04:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I am in agreement with ikor...at least a grand.
And with papers and box, etc., it has a documented wartime history of which would enhance the value even more.
How much more? I am not qualified to say but please do some more "pokin'" around before letting loose of it.
Not to ruin a trade in progress, but it would take one heck of a gun to get me to part with it!
You have me curious now, how much did you think it was worth, If I may ask? [:\]
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 5:24:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I was thinking the value was between 1200-1500 depending on the "worth" of the extras...I had one dork who works for a so called professional on-line appraisal company tell me it was only worth 450-550 depending on wear, because there were millions made.....nice huh?

I really really don't want to lose this pistol, but the gun I'd be getting would mean a lot to me, as I knew it's owner and he was a fairly well respected "American Hero" from WWII......still not a done deal though..who knows.

Thanks to both of you for your input.....any others??
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 11:12:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Most WW2 models with lots of wear go for $600 min.

The cherry ones are indeed in the $1200-up range.

I would perhaps try to find a local collector who REALLY knows his shit to look the gun over.
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 9:56:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Tagging on to the original question in my own situation-
My granfather has an all nickel 1911 govt witout a breath of a scratch on it. It also has equaly flawless mother of pearl grips.
He got it very soon after he finished out WWII in the last 1st Cavalry Unit to use horses in combat.
I'll eventually inherit it (along with his original service 1911, a Commander, and a couple old-school revolvers I need to do research on), as my father who was an infantry M-60 man in Vietnam has full-blown PTSD and sold every gun he owned around ten years ago and has no interest in them anymore.
Anyway, I'd never think of selling it for family pride/sentimental value. But I am interested in its value. Blue Books are one thing, but I would rather know where to get it properly appraised.
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 10:28:30 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
But I am interested in its value. Blue Books are one thing, but I would rather know where to get it properly appraised.

Take it to the biggest gunshow in your area. Ask around the tables where you see older 1911s for sale. If they don't know, chances are they will know someone who can.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 3:49:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Bless your dad, Raulin, I knew some M-60 guys in 'Nam and he had to go though hell too!

You may also want to look in Gunbroker.com, Gunsamerica.com or the various 1911 websites to get a better idea on the value or what they are selling for.
Be aware, most table holders at gunshows are there to make money and may give you a lowball appraisal in the hopes you let it go.
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 5:29:28 AM EDT
[#8]
insp,
 be very carefull !!!!!!!! you described a pistol that sounds very similar to the one i have, it was issued to a B-17 pilot that i once knew, he "gave" it to me for $75..., back in 1979..., there are marks & other IDs that will determine its real value, such as small or large checkering on the hammer spur, 6, 7 or 8 groves in the back strap (?) small or large checkering on the spring plug, the grips should be plastic & on the inside of the grips it should have a "cross" molded in, it was for strengthening, GHD was a General, an Ordinance Officer that approved the contract......

as someone said, get a good reliable appraisal..., mine is worth $2,500 acording to a 1911 expert collector.......
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 10:22:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks to everyone for their comments so far......keep em coming if you have anything to add.   The original deal fell through as the other guy kept "bumping" up his value, etc. and I started getting uneasy about the deal.....so the Colt is still mine, and I plan for it to stay that way.....just picked up another WWI Colt also, but in far less condition..

Does anybody know a Colt collector/historian that I could contact about getting an honest evaluation?  One you would trust yourselves.....
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 11:52:06 AM EDT
[#10]
generally agree with the 1000 plus value on the colt,except for two issues:
AA is a marked placed on 1911's that were overhauled at a gov depot(Augusta arsenal I think) that makes this a ww2 gun that is in excellent condition AFTER rebuild- a little less desirable than a mint original colt but still at least an 800 gun.
GHD is the inspector's initals that accepted the pistol as meeting all standards for military use-nothing to do with "approving the contact"
regarding raulins post- the nickel gun is either a 1930's-40's50's colt that came nickel which would be desireable,or a military model that was refinished which are not very valuable
in the 300-450 range for the military refinished
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 10:53:34 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Does anybody know a Colt collector/historian that I could contact about getting an honest evaluation?  One you would trust yourselves.....

You need more than one opinion. Should someone tell you $500 & the gun is really worth $2000, you'd be pissed.

Vice versa too, you don't want to hold out for an offer that'll never materialize either.

Gun shows are your best bet, IMO, for finding some people who know 1911s & allow them to look at the gun.
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top